News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

Mike Devries
« on: August 10, 2005, 02:49:19 PM »
I had the great pleasure of spending about 20 minutes talking to Mike  at The KIngsley Club on saturday.
First of all what a great guy, full of humour and wit underneath his immmense passion for what he does.

His comments on the golf course , why he did what he did etc,,,really served to enlighten my "wanna be" brain to factors well beyond those I would normally consuder.

Having spent a good two hours the previous day talking to the course owner, it was very interesting to hear two sides of the same tale...actually quite fascinating..how one man's dreams can be moulded by a master architect to producethe final result.

To have the opportunity to talk face to face with a man who is starting to enter his prime was indeed a privelage, and something I will treasure for a long time.

Can anybody fine the Greywalls thread with the photos for me?
He talked alot about this project and I would like to refresh his comments with the pictures.

An interesting part of our converstaion was his love for Lawsonia...as my home course is a Langford this was of particular interest...he absolutely raved about the place...any photos out there?

Jeff Goldman

Re:Mike Devries
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 02:50:56 PM »
Check out Ran's Lawsonia profile in the courses by architect.  Ron Forse did a terrific job out there.
That was one hellacious beaver.

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 02:53:13 PM »
I've heard that both owners are also members of Sand Hills.  Did they mention how that course influenced their overall approach to Kingsley Club?  

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 02:56:35 PM »
Can anybody fine the Greywalls thread with the photos for me?  He talked alot about this project and I would like to refresh his comments with the pictures.

http://marquettegolfclub.com/G_Photo_Album.htm

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 02:58:01 PM »
They commented that the land that they were looking for , was ideally going to look like "links Land" and when they found the exsiting site they knew they had found it.
No mention was made about sand hills membership and that would surprise me as the course did come into the conversion, but was not discussed at length.

I have not played sand hills, and as such cannot comment as to their comparisons, yet I would imagine that Sand Hills does not experience as much elevation change as Kingsley and as such it would be difficult to compare the two.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 03:17:19 PM »
I met Mike at Sand Hills a couple of years ago and he inspired me.  

It was very interesting to listen to what he had to say and I really enjoyed his opinions and most of all his questions.  He made me think about why I liked a certain hole or didn't ...etc..
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 05:02:44 PM »
Mike is just a class guy and we're lucky to all "know" him personally and via GCA...I think that I can speek for everyone and say we look forward to more of Mike's stuff.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 10:04:33 PM »
Mybe Sean Tully can post some photos of Mike's absolutely stellar work at Meadow Club. . . . .

And no Tommy, I do not think Raynor routed that one  ;)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 10:04:48 PM by Gib Papazian »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back