News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cliff Hamm

ANTHONYPIOPPI

Re:Renaissance golf club - massachusetts
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 06:02:25 PM »
Cliff,

You are very, very wrong. Are you new here? It is precisely not a GCA course because of the architect. It was not done by one of the ANNOINTED so let's move on.

I've been on the back nine which is open for play and I would only consider it a good course if you like options, multiple routes, variations on green designs and a layout that works with the land. Oh yeah, the ground game is encouraged, too. Other than that it is crap.

Now if (fill in the blank with the name of appropriate ANNOINTED ONE) designed it, GCAers would be writing about the subject the way Dostoevsky wrote about redemption.

Kindest Regards,
Anthony Pioppi

Talking nonsense is man's only privilege that distinguishes him from all other organisms.
-  Crime and Punishement

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 09:01:17 PM »
I didn't know that Tom Fazio was the ANNOINTED one...... ;D

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 09:16:08 PM »

The design balance will make Matt Ward very happy. :)

Willie_Dow

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 09:24:41 PM »
Cliff -  
 ENROUTE: Anxious to see and play, give me details.  

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 09:38:19 PM »
Tony,

How many people can talk favorable about it given they just opened, and are offering "limitted" memberships by invitation only?  It is not like anyone can just go up there, have a go, then report on it to one's GCA.com cronies.  

It seems to me, if I recall well, that Silva got plenty of kudos for Black Creek.  I'd sure like to attend one of the "annointing ceremonies" the next time they have one.  It must be quite a ritual  :o ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 09:41:51 PM »
RJ,
  I don't think that your post was directed towards me, but I think that Silva has done some great stuff and his stuff is spoken quite highly here, especially Black Rock and some of his other restorations.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 09:42:23 PM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Willie_Dow

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2005, 09:45:52 PM »
RJ - Come on !  Brian has done good work in NE, eg Acushnet !

Nock'et off !

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2005, 09:56:18 PM »
I was ribbing the other Tony, P. ;D

Willie, I haven't seen any of Silva's work.  I'm just saying he got pretty nice comments on several of his works, including the Biltmore Ross course, and Seminole renovations.  Yet, if he was annointed, I didn't get an invitation to the proceedings.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Steve Lang

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2005, 10:07:12 PM »
 8)

As I understood, there is quite a waiting list for other clubs in the greater Boston area and they're seeking to offer an alternative today.. not tomorrow.
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2005, 10:11:57 PM »
RJ,

Black Rock opened well over a year ago, and last I knew never were or are only offering limited memberships by invitation only. One call could get you out there in a heartbeat. If I can be of assistance let me know. I'd be happy to do what I can. Black Rock would love to get the attention it deserves.

The Annointing Ceremonies are not for you, me or anyone to attend. It goes like this: An architect designs a course with a certaint feature (frilly edged bunkers seem to be the latest trend) that one GCA regular LOVES. He waxes poetic about it long and often and when possible during the rant slams either Fazio or Rees. Then lemmings jump on board and - VOILA - you have an ANNOINTED ONE. Whatever that architect does after that is considered pure genius! A dump truck carrying manure could flip over in a K-Mart parking lot and if one of the ANNOINTED stuck 18 cocktail umbrellas in the pile within 20 minutes there would be a half dozen GCA regulars calling it the best course in the last 75 years. Somone would undoubtedly post construction photos.

Best Regards,

Anthony Pioppi

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 02:38:36 PM »
Just had a look at the website and the course looks quite intriguing.

I must say I have never played eight par-4's in a row. I wonder if there are any other golf courses like that. Not that its bad, I just found it quite interesting.

NAF

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 02:53:08 PM »
I've heard very good things about Black Rock from my customers in Boston.  They rave about it.. Hope to catch a look at it in a few weeks.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back