News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Troeger

Name That Architect--Indiana Courses
« on: August 07, 2005, 09:44:41 PM »
I was just wondering if any of you could help with a little project I'm trying to complete. Since for whatever reason I've been a rather obsessive list-maker for as long as I can remember, I've been able to compile a list of all the golf courses I've ever played. More recently I've tried to collect scorecards from all of the courses and to update that list to include the architect and some other pertinent information. Its been a fascinating study, although some of the courses I played when I was 12 don't exactly register anymore. There are a few courses though where I have not found any information on the architect, again all in Indiana...any help would be greatly appreciated!

Fort Wayne Elks CC
Valparaiso CC
Greenhurst CC--Auburn, IN
Brookwood GC--Fort Wayne
Maplecrest CC--Goshen
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 09:49:31 PM by Andy Troeger »

Mike_Cirba

Re:Name That Architect--Indiana Courses
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 09:52:57 AM »
Andy,

I don't have any information on the courses you mentioned, but it's nice to see a kindred soul.

I also have a listing of all the courses I've played, and went to some pretty obsessive lengths over the years to research their architectural histories.  That basically mushroomed into further research into the architectural attribution of all public courses in the mid-Atlantic region, including the eastern half of NY state.  I have so much useless information and trivia in  my head it's no wonder my golf game has declined precipitously over those same years.  ;)

At present, I still have 7 courses that I've been able to find virtually no information about, out of 714 courses played in 30 states and 4 countries.  (I just realized I sound like "Rain Man")  ;)  There are a handful of other courses (perhaps 10  in all) where I don't have definitive proof, but am about 80% certain.  

I was a "card collector" (baseball & football) as a kid, so I'm fortunate that when I started playing golf, I also collected the scorecards.  I have one from each course I've played, and collected many others over the years as well.

Someday, a future archeologist will dig up my stuff and likely spend a great deal of time pondering how I spent my life.  ;D

Andy Doyle

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 10:26:26 AM »
I don't have any info an any of these courses either, but I must say I feel strangely comforted.

I've kept scorecards for a long time, and have just recently started a spreadsheet with courses played, architects, etc.

My wife, of course, thinks I am an obsessive-compulsive wacko - she would be horrified to find out there are more, and worse, out there.

Andy

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 10:38:09 AM »
I assume you looked at The Architects of Golf, as 3-4 of your list only have (R)s next to the archies names - renovations.
Have you sent Mr. Whitten an e-mail?
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 10:42:00 AM »
I don't have any info an any of these courses either, but I must say I feel strangely comforted.

I've kept scorecards for a long time, and have just recently started a spreadsheet with courses played, architects, etc.

My wife, of course, thinks I am an obsessive-compulsive wacko - she would be horrified to find out there are more, and worse, out there.

Andy

Andy,

Feel free to use my post in your own defense with your wife.  

I'm sure you can then honestly tell her, "see honey, I'm not nearly as bad as some of these other nutjobs!"  ;)

Andy Doyle

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 10:49:31 AM »
Mike:

Thanks - I may have to resort to that defense.

I've already tried the "Hey, honey - it could be hookers, drugs, gambling or sports cars" - without much success.

AD

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 10:52:51 AM »
Andy,

It might also help if you tell her that I've already been through all of those and have simply graduated to the higher calling of golf course history.  

Andy Doyle

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2005, 11:00:52 AM »
Mike:

I'm afraid of trying the other options on the list for fear that they would be less expensive and less disruptive to the family than golf.

AD

Bill_Spellman

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2005, 02:57:00 PM »
Andy-
          Having served as the golf professional at Greenhurst from 1979 to 1985, I checked into this, without great results. It seems that it was built on a shoestring by a number of future members. No record of any architect was located. Having said that, I am reasonably confident that Brookwood is a Donald Ross Course. In "The Golf Course" by Whitten, there is a picture of a green, attributed to Ross, in another region of the U.S that is strikingly similar to the 6th green complex at Greenhurst.

Is it possible that Ross did some "Mail in " routings and never saw the land that he was designing for?  

I will check my other records dor the other courses.

Bill

Andy Troeger

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2005, 03:53:17 PM »
Bill,
   Thanks for the info on Greenhurst and Brookwood. Brookwood was one of the courses I played when I was about 12, so I really don't remember anything other than it was near the FW airport :)  Also interesting to hear about Greenhurst, I thought it was pretty well laid out to have been a collaborative effort, certainly a fun short course to play. I'm guessing that either William Diddel or William Langford might have had something to do with some of these courses just based on their amount of work in Indiana, but i haven't found anything substantive to back this up.

Mike C & Andy-thanks for the notes. It took some researching past posts to realize I wasn't the only oddball out there who does these things :)  I started fairly early so I am only missing about 10 scorecards, for better or worse mostly from places I really don't intend to get back to :)

Mike N-Thanks, I will try the methods you're suggesting, other than basic websearches that helped me get the majority that I was missing I haven't tried any real strong sources. I know that  Valpo CC was re-done by Bob Lohmann, and I believe Maplecrest by Gary Kern, but that's all I've been able to find.

Thanks for the help, if anyone else has any more info let me know! I've got some more on the list, but I am pretty certain they were either built by owner or were collaborative efforts of some sort or another without any real architect/designer.
Andy
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 05:57:24 PM by Andy Troeger »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back