News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

les claytor

Re: Favourite First Tees
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2002, 10:38:38 AM »
I mentioned North Berwick bcs I think it is a fitting start for one of my favorite courses.  In my opinion, NB links have an intensity of spirit, almost a haunting presence, that makes it a truly memorable course. So the first hole, although far from perfect is a truly terrifying start to a pressure packed course.  Is it the best frist hole or even the best first tee I've had the pleasure to experience?  No, but a memorable one none the less.

Just my opinion, and I don't draw any comparisons to Machrihanish.  If we appreciate courses for what they are we would enjoy the experience more.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

wsmorrison

« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2002, 12:37:33 PM »
Let me say from the outset that I really like North Berwick, it is a unique and fun test of golf with classic features.  Yet the first tee is not in my opinion and outstanding one except that it is only a favorite because I'm at the start of a round on a course that I love to play.  In the pantheon of great opening shots, not in the top 50 percentile, but it is only the begining of greatness, not in and of itself.

Richard_Goodale

« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2002, 01:48:15 PM »
mps

I've played Muirfield by myself, with 4-balls I have brought over, with other singles and with members.  I lucked out th1st time I got there in 1978 in that good ole' Capn. Hanmer seemed to admire my tatty tweed jacket and gravy stained tie, take amusement from my letter of introduction from my "club" at the time, Mill Valley Men's Club, and take pity on my general demeanor (as I was 2 weeks into a 3 week trip to Scotland, my liver was near shutdown mode).  He put me off the 1st tee the next day.  Subsequently, I wrote him grovelling letters each year begging to play again, and he accommodated me, always off hte 1st tee.  There were even times in the dining room when he and I were the only souls there except the food and drink servers when he grunted at me once or twice.

This shows you that life is just a series of chances.  For me, this chance meant that in the 80's when I visited Scotland 1-4 months a year and played 95% of my golf in Dornoch, Muirfield was the only other course that I made it a point to play, every year.

j

« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2002, 09:25:04 PM »
Spyglass Hill for sure.

sndhlz

« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2002, 08:02:35 AM »
the first tee at wannamoisset - a miniature version of merion with iced ted glasses clinking in your backswing, but much more intimate and much less snooty.

Rick

« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2002, 02:22:05 PM »
Portstewart is a beauty!

The old #1 in Banff was "the" classic. Haven't enjoyed playing the course since it was rerouted and rarely do despite it being less than 100Km. from my front door.

Having just returned from Australia and New Zealand, I'll nominate Wairakei. A tee shot that's scenic enough but lays down the strategic gauntlet right off the bat with it's cross bunkers in the driving area and the second shot as well. The rest of the course does not relent after this introduction.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:02 PM by -1 »

Sean Walsh

Re:Favourite First Tees
« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2005, 12:23:09 PM »
Sean,

I'll agree with Crail.  Very nice vista from high on the hill.  Old caretakers cottage (I think?) in the foreground and the sea filling the horizon.

I also liked Brora for similar reasons.  Watching people tee off from the clubhouse is a wonderful way to pass the time.  

Also:

Victoria G.C. Do you go for the green so early in the round?  As tantalising a first shot as I've played.

PThomas

« Reply #107 on: August 01, 2005, 01:42:08 PM »
Mid Ocean, but Gib beat me to this one

Whistling Straits too...you get a peek of Lake Michigan from it

Cypress, of course, as several others have stated, and C Downs too
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Travis Ripley

« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2005, 02:02:17 PM »
Southern Hills--elevated tee, typical of Maxwell, let's you launch one but all it really does it bring the cross wind into play and your teeball is in the air for a _long_ time.  

hard to disagree with TOC.  it is what it is.  

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2005, 02:16:43 PM »
Capilano.  :)

An amazing view from Hollyburn Mountain across Burrard Inland to Stanley Park and the Vancouver skyline beyond. Truly exhilirating, and a fitting begining to a memorable round.

TK
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 02:18:20 PM by Tyler Kearns »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2005, 02:17:56 PM »
All I remember of the first tee at Mid Ocean is the 40 mph squall that almost blew away me, my buddy and our caddy, who were huddled together with one soon to be ragged umbrella!  We played the first into that gale, then the sun came out, the rain and wind stopped, and all was well with the world.  Is that a nice view from that tee?  ???
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 02:18:28 PM by Bill_McBride »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2005, 02:12:11 PM »
Don't know if they still use it based on the recent Roger Rulewich re-do, but the 1st tee at Charlie Banks' Castle Harbour used to have you hitting from basically the roof of the first floor of the hotel, perched well above the pitching fairway, with the ocean off to your left.  

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2005, 02:17:18 PM »
I know Matt Ward mentioned this, but in my limited Experience, Devil's Pulpit's back tee is a sweet way to begin a round.

Ted Kramer

« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2005, 02:21:17 PM »
The first at the Sagamore is high on my list.

-Ted

Will Hubbard

« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2005, 07:48:30 PM »
Though not a great course overall, the Oh SH** factor is huge on the first tee of The Judge,, Capitol Hill, RTJ Golf Trail in Alabama. One tees off of a huge of a cliff with lake/river vista below.  Incredible hang time. I envisioned the hang time clock from Monday Night Football.  

I agree with many posters that TOC has to be #1.

peter_p

« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2005, 08:01:13 PM »
Caslte Harbor 1st tee view: http://www.majesty.org/golf/castle1.jpg

Jim Franklin

« Reply #116 on: August 03, 2005, 09:00:33 AM »
Using Shivas' thinking, Sand Hills is great, but I got that feeling at Kingsley. With that said, my favorite first tees are as follows:

1. TOC
2. Merion
3. Old White
4. Sanctuary
5. Sand Hills/Kingsley
6. CPC
7. Pine Valley
8. Wannamoisett
9. Crystal Downs ( I like #10 better though)
Mr Hurricane

JNC Lyon

« Reply #117 on: August 03, 2005, 09:43:14 AM »
Judging from a google aerial, the original 1st is alive and well, but, like Banff, it has been moved to later in the round. The real loss is the 2nd hole, a huge dogleg around the harbor to a cape green, what was once one of the 500 Best Holes in World is now slated for real estate development ??? :-[ :'( >:(
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #118 on: August 03, 2005, 10:18:26 AM »
I have never seen a more spectacular first tee than that at Belgrade Lakes in Maine.  The vista of the lakes is spectacular.  I had no luck posting the pictures from their site but here is a link.

http://www.belgradelakesgolf.com/Gallery.htm

The middle picture is to the right of the tee as is the top left.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #119 on: August 03, 2005, 10:20:39 AM »
I have never opined on this subject.  If the singular quality that "makes" a first tee is its ability to generate thoughts of "holy shit, this is awesome!!" in the mind of every golfer who has ever stepped upon it, then without a doubt, the best first tee in golf is Sand Hills, with what I am sure is a 100% success rate.

It has a blow-away surprise and "wow!" factor that not even #1 of TOC can touch.

I'm with Shivas. It might even be the best tee in golf period.  What a thrill to stand there and know you get to play from "here" to "there."

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back