News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

Humorous Names of Course Architects
« on: August 02, 2005, 02:43:54 PM »
I do research on the architectural attribution of various golf courses and there are probably more total golf courses built by amateur architects than any of the household names we throw around in here.  

My files are filled with the illustrious John Benincasa, as well as the prolific Horace Smith (who designed about 5-6 courses).

In that regard, I thought perhaps others have heard of some really interesting and humorous names for course architects.  

A couple of my personal favorites...

Herman Yadacufski - A former strip mine operator who so enraged David Gordon that he walked off the job of building the Mountain Valley Golf course in eastern PA.

Russell Scott Jr - Original owner and designer of the family-run Mountain Manor Golf Resort in the Pocono Mountains.  Mr. Scott designed the architecturally bizarre original holes that were at least in a pleasant valley setting.

Russell Scott III - Not to be outdone, son Russell designed the second 18 architecturally bizarre holes at the resort, only utilizing the nearby mountain for his handiwork.  The first hole, which climbs about 150 feet straight up from tee to par four green, tells you all you need to know.

Bender - Before Madonna and Sting, there was an Iriquois gentleman who designed the Lakeside Country Club's (Penn Yan, NY) first nine holes in the 20s despite being born with only one name.  

« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 02:48:57 PM by Mike Cirba »

JNC Lyon

Re:Humorous Names of Course Architects
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 02:46:27 PM »
Xenophon Hassenplug
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 02:57:50 PM »
JNC,

Good one!

50 bonus points if you can name Xenophon's former chief associate.

Another favorite is the late, self-avowed warlock Joe Bosak, who designed Wemberly Hills (PA) nine holes in the late 60s.  Rumors of black masses, Halloween rituals, and various satanic and sexual practices on the grounds of the course at night abounded in the area.

I always felt it added a little atmosphere to the place and sometimes playing alone, dogs howling in the distance caused the heart to jump.

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 03:17:24 PM »
"50 bonus points if you can name Xenophon's former chief associate."

BEEEEP!!! That's a snap. Ed Beidel.

Both Xen and Ed were negatively affected permanently though, since Xen happened to work for the infamous J.B. MCGovern.

"the late, self-avowed warlock Joe Bosak, who designed Wemberly Hills (PA) nine holes in the late 60s.  Rumors of black masses, Halloween rituals, and various satanic and sexual practices on the grounds of the course at night abounded in the area."

What's the matter with you? Are you some kind of prude? That's good stuff.

For a golf architect how could anyone top the name Bobby Weed?

« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 03:21:13 PM by TEPaul »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 03:22:14 PM »
Tom,

Ding, DING, DING...Bingo!

For 100 additional points, can you name the first area course he built solo after the death of Mr. Hassenplug?

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 03:41:31 PM »
"For 100 additional points, can you name the first area course he built solo after the death of Mr. Hassenplug?"

Ah, I don't know what you call it but I call it the Cockatoo Caca Golf and Whatever Club and I think he built it in the early to mid 1990s. Last I heard about it some residential builder was thinking of spending some serious money on it by remodeling it and putting the whole course underground.

peter_p

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 03:50:46 PM »
sid puddicombe, bunny mason

Andy Hughes

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 04:43:06 PM »
Russell Scott Jr - Original owner and designer of the family-run Mountain Manor Golf Resort in the Pocono Mountains.  Mr. Scott designed the architecturally bizarre original holes that were at least in a pleasant valley setting.
Russell Scott III - Not to be outdone, son Russell designed the second 18 architecturally bizarre holes at the resort, only utilizing the nearby mountain for his handiwork.  The first hole, which climbs about 150 feet straight up from tee to par four green, tells you all you need to know.

*sigh*
Sometimes Mike, you make me nostalgic for the old days, when a Mt Manor was standard fare, and a tournament at Taminent was an excursion to a 'really good course' (Mr Yanovich is the pro!).
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Kyle Harris

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 04:44:38 PM »
JNC,

Good one!

50 bonus points if you can name Xenophon's former chief associate.

Another favorite is the late, self-avowed warlock Joe Bosak, who designed Wemberly Hills (PA) nine holes in the late 60s.  Rumors of black masses, Halloween rituals, and various satanic and sexual practices on the grounds of the course at night abounded in the area.

I always felt it added a little atmosphere to the place and sometimes playing alone, dogs howling in the distance caused the heart to jump.

Ed Beidel... nice guy

Did my beloved Five Ponds (100 points please, Mike) and as of yet unplayed Turtle Creek.

...and lets watch our cracks on coal miners' families okay Mr. Cirba?

How about Mike Wetzel, who did that wonderful Rolling Meadows in Mowry, PA.  :P
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 04:46:08 PM by Kyle Harris »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 04:55:36 PM »
Kyle,

Yes, Turtle Creek is the answer.  Five Ponds was built under the name of Xenophon Hassenplug and must forever live with that.  ;D

Also, the info I have on Rolling Meadows is that it was designed in 1963 by Ralph Wetzel.  I'm assuming he may have been Mike's dad?

Just passed by there this past Sunday on the way to Knoebel's Grove.  No golf, but fun stuff nonetheless.  ;D

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 04:57:30 PM »
"Ed Beidel... nice guy
Did my beloved Five Ponds (100 points please)

Kyle:

Is that what he did on his own after Xen died? If so C&W have something wrong as they have Five Ponds built in 1988 and Xen dying in 1992. Five Ponds is listed in C&W as Bedel as an assistant to Xen on that one.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 05:00:19 PM »
Tom Paul,

See my post above.

You're correct...the historic design attribution for Five Ponds goes to Mr. Hassenplug the principal of the firm.  However, like many courses, associate Ed Beidel really did the design and day to day stuff, simply because at that point Mr. Hassenplug was about 900 years old.  

Forgive my humor, but if memory serves, Xenophon lived to a ripe old age.  We should all be so fortunate.  

Kyle Harris

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 05:01:57 PM »
Tom,

Hmm, could be right.

I emailed Ed awhile back regarding Five Ponds's plans (the township royally miffed up that course - good routing too) and he said all that Xen would manage at the time was to sign and approve the plans. Ed Beidel did all the design and construction work as needed.

I knew Turtle Creek was his other one on this side of the state that was my reason for that guess.

Mike,

Did you drive through Ashland and Frackville? That's where my family is from (both on Rt. 61). Knoebels is a great place, and right near the (your) birdie factory: Three Ponds.

I know the Wetzel family, and you're right, it's a father son relationship, but I think it's the other way around.

As for old Herman frustrating David Gordon, that's hilarious. At least they have a good design up there now. Now they need some better conditioned greens.

SPDB

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2005, 05:19:56 PM »
Maturin Ballou

Extra credit to the person who can name the design his name graces.....without cheating.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2005, 05:30:01 PM »
Can an aka or alias-nickname count for a chance at winning the contest and one week all expenses paid trip to Philadelphia, or second place - two weeks?

How about "The Mad Russian", Ted Blehm?

http://www.madrussiangolf.com/Default.aspx?tabid=311
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2005, 05:32:22 PM »
Thanks WC Fields...

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2005, 06:23:28 PM »
Robert Weed is a rather dubious name for one who makes his living in the grass business....

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2005, 10:29:19 PM »
Mike,

Did you drive through Ashland and Frackville? That's where my family is from (both on Rt. 61). Knoebels is a great place, and right near the (your) birdie factory: Three Ponds.

I know the Wetzel family, and you're right, it's a father son relationship, but I think it's the other way around.

As for old Herman frustrating David Gordon, that's hilarious. At least they have a good design up there now. Now they need some better conditioned greens.

Kyle,

Yep, right up 61 to 54.  

As far as Rolling Green, if you're sure of the names let me know so I can update my records.  Someday, somewhere, someone will find my listings and seriously wonder about some guy who had too much time on his hands!  

Seriously, I'd like to know if it was Ralph or Mike.

Re: Mountain Valley, I remember having an email conversation with David Gordon who told me the story about how this guy was impossible to work with and that he only one other time walked off the job (Limerick GC, but that was near the end of construction), and how frustrated he became.  

I only played it back about 15 years ago when it was 18 holes and to put it mildly, it was not very good.  To think that it's now a 27 hole layout that garnered **** in the Golf Digest "Places to Play is pretty unimaginable, especially given the severe site.  

Did you say that Dan Schlegel, when he was with Ault/Clark did he work on the new nine and revisions on the old?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2005, 10:32:58 PM »
Maturin Ballou

Extra credit to the person who can name the design his name graces.....without cheating.

Hmmm...I know it's a MET course.    

Wasn't he also the author of "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof"?  ;)

Kyle Harris

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2005, 10:43:01 PM »
Mike,

Kyle,

Yep, right up 61 to 54.  

As far as Rolling Green, if you're sure of the names let me know so I can update my records.  Someday, somewhere, someone will find my listings and seriously wonder about some guy who had too much time on his hands!  

Seriously, I'd like to know if it was Ralph or Mike.

Re: Mountain Valley, I remember having an email conversation with David Gordon who told me the story about how this guy was impossible to work with and that he only one other time walked off the job (Limerick GC, but that was near the end of construction), and how frustrated he became.  

I only played it back about 15 years ago when it was 18 holes and to put it mildly, it was not very good.  To think that it's now a 27 hole layout that garnered **** in the Golf Digest "Places to Play is pretty unimaginable, especially given the severe site.  

Did you say that Dan Schlegel, when he was with Ault/Clark did he work on the new nine and revisions on the old?

Yes, Schlegel was responsible, and I am not sure who is doing the new nine that is currently on display in the Clubhouse. It has Ault/Clark's logo on it, and it seems very comparable to the rest, even better in spots.

As for Rolling MEADOWS  ;) I will find out as soon as possible.

BTW, I think you and I should make it a priority to get up to Mountain Valley in the next few weeks... Time allowing, of course.

I am eager to hear your thoughts on the course and have you hear mine. The severity of that routing is special, and it needs a bit but there is something special waiting to be exposed.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2005, 10:53:58 PM »
There is a thread out there with names that evoke features or settings:

Steve Forrest
Bob Cupp
Bobby Weed
Brian Curley
David Dale
Stephen Burns
Ed Seay
Arthur Hills
Robert Moore
Forrest Richardson

I fear the thread had 20+ — Which am I missing?
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

peter_p

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2005, 01:23:43 AM »
forrest,
forest fezler

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2005, 02:38:33 AM »
It is

F O R R E S T   F E Z L E R

(2 r's)
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2005, 03:32:24 AM »
Rocky Roquemore
Let's make GCA grate again!

Michael Goody

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2005, 10:51:10 AM »
i believe that e. maturin ballou (no idea what the "e" stands for) designed apawamis

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back