News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re:Driving #1 at Oakmont
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2005, 11:46:31 AM »
I'll tell you what'll be an interesting real world comparison on distance. I spent the entire week on Merion's #2 during the 1981 US Open and no more than two to three players hit that green the entire week. How many do you think will hit it in this month's US Amateur? This will really be telling. Perhaps the USGA should put one of their rough chastity belts across #2 fairway beginning at around 300.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 11:47:36 AM by TEPaul »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2005, 12:11:56 PM »
Just how many tour events has Hank Kuehne won?  99th on the money list last year, 107th this year - 10 spots behind Pavin (203rd in driving distance).

The good news is that if the sky is actually falling, it ain't gonna hit me.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2005, 12:17:49 PM »
I am with you Mike, all this petty little tinkering aimed at a select group of exraordinary long hitters...let them boom it..I promise you that Oakmont will take care of the likes of Big Hank over the course of 4 days...well actually I cannot see Hank playing all 4 days at a US Open staged at Oakmont.

TEPaul

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2005, 12:30:40 PM »
"...well actually I cannot see Hank playing all 4 days at a US Open staged at Oakmont."

I wouldn't necessarily say that about Hank, Michael. The guy has got game but first he probably needs to totally commit to an intelligent game plan at Oakmont of no more than a 6 iron off any tee. That shouldn't leave him with more than a nice controlled 9 iron approach anywhere and if he putts OK he should make the cut and maybe give Corey a run for his money.

I was talking to a USGA board guy recently whose been to all the big Championships including this year's Open and he said Corey is not just short, he's scary short! He said it looked like Corey had about 2 3/4 yards in reserve if he really wanted to let one out but it appeared he just preferred not to use that reserve and to play for position most all the time.  ;)

This USGA Board guy also said Corey is one helluva nice fellow and get this---Corey asked for a real early tee time in the Open this year on Thursday and a real late one on Friday and got it. Why did he do that? Because he flew home after his round on Thursday to his son's graduation in California and got back to Pinehurst in time for his tee time Friday. I guess that tired him out some though because apparently his driving stats went down on Friday about 9 inches.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 12:36:50 PM by TEPaul »

Gordon Oneil

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2005, 01:01:49 PM »
So this is how rumor first turns into fact on its way to legend.
I have a friend who is a member at Oakmont that played with a large group that included Hank between the time he won the Amateur and turned pro.  Hank Kuehne did not almost hit it to the top of the hill on #3, he hit it all the way to the front of the green.  I was so astounded upon hearing that that either I didn't ask what he made on the hole or don't remember the answer.  Hopefully he somehow scratched ouut a par.  A drive absolutely smoked by the best, longest amateur player lands somewhere near the bottom of the upslope.  The "plays a game with which I am not familiar" quote truly appplies.
As for the 5 iron into the parking lot crack, I must be so new to GCA that I'm not yet attuned to the collective sense of humor.  From all that I have heard, Hank returns to Oakmont quite frequently, loves the place and is well liked there.  That's one of the reasons Trip was so consumed with winning the Amateur there.
Besides, from that distance Hank would need no more than a 7 iron, tops, to bust the window out of one of the Mercedes in the lot.

George Pazin

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2005, 01:16:09 PM »
Welcome to the board, Gordon.

As to our bizarre sense of humor on here, well, it's still early, we haven't even started drinking yet. Check back later for even more bizarre comments.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Gordon Oneil

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2005, 01:28:38 PM »
What's the matter with you?
It's after noon here on the east coast.

TEPaul

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2005, 02:04:25 PM »
Gordon:

Well, hell, I don't know---sometimes these early rumors can get a tad inaccurate either way. Maybe it was a 7 iron and not a 5 iron Hank hit on #9 over the clubhouse into the parking lot on the other side.

Who knows what's going on with these pros and this crazy distance? Even Corey Pavin says he thinks he's picked up at least 2 1/2 feet in exta distance recently even though he's older and doesn't really try to bust it out there like he used to when he was on the top of his game years ago. He even says he thinks if he gets totally optimized he may even pick up a yard and a half in additional carry distance. And percentage-wise that's a pretty big distance spike for Corey.

TEPaul

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2005, 02:06:53 PM »
"What's the matter with you?
It's after noon here on the east coast."

Gordon:

What are you---some kind of drunk? We don't start drinking on this website until at least 3:55p

JESII

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2005, 02:09:06 PM »
"What's the matter with you?
It's after noon here on the east coast."

Gordon:

What are you---some kind of drunk? We don't start drinking on this website until at least 3:55p

sHPeak fer youself there MR> Paul :P

Kyle Harris

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2005, 04:24:21 PM »
Wayne and I stayed on the dry side at Maggie O'Neill's this afternoon... that heat was enough to make you feel drunk anyway.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back