News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Gawith

Ashridge Golf Club
« on: July 29, 2005, 02:40:04 PM »
I had my debut at this course yesterday, a fine parkland lay-out about 30 miles north-west of London. It was designed by Hutchinson/Hodgkin and Sir Guy Campbell and opened in 1932. Tom Simpson did some alterations in 1939.

I think I am right that Hutchison/Hodgkin designed Woodhall Spa and Hodgkin also did Humewood in Port Elizabeth. Not sure what else they did in the UK. I have played Woodhall and the bunkering at Ashridge is not as severe, though it is definitely a feature of the course, adding considerably to the strategy.

The course is perhaps most famous for Henry Cotton having been the pro when he won the Open many years ago. More recently Alex Hay, the BBC commentator had a long stint there before decamping to Woburn. Nowadays it is used as an open Qualifier, and they have lengthened it for that purpose, but it is still very short by modern standards. If you hit a good drive you will be able to get up on the all par 5s with a mid iron second.

I see in TCG Mr Doak commends the second hole as one of his favourite in Britain. I thought the best stretch of holes were the short fours around the turn - 9, 10 and 12, the latter including "Cotton's fairway" - a small sliver of the fairway, akin to Hogan's Alley at Carnoustie - which gives you a favourable line to the green if, miraculously, you can hit it.

The course is not of quite the same standard as some of the heathland greats, but well worth a visit for anyone in the neighbourhood. I would file it alongside Huntercombe and Denham in terms of character and challenge. It is renowned, above all, for its beauty as the course runs through lovely woodland, and has abundant deer.

T_MacWood

Re:Ashridge Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 10:58:19 PM »
My impression is that Hutchison was the major force behind Ashridge.

Mark_F

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 04:27:41 AM »
There was also a mention of this course in a very old AA Guide I was given years ago by a relative in the UK.  

It's definitely a course I need to look up next time in the UK.  It sounds fantastic, although I've never seen any pictures.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 11:37:50 AM »
There's a website:

http://www.ashridgegolfclub.ltd.uk/

I like Ashridge, but I'd not put it on a 'must play' list for visitors to this country; it's lovely but not Top 100 in my thinking.  That said, if you have reason to be in that part of Hertfordshire it is well worth an outing, and it should be combined (and contrasted) with Berkhamsted a couple of miles away.  

I like some of the deception which still fools an old foozler such as me, though you long hitters with arrow-straight games and never a fat shot would never fall into these traps for the unwary (such as unseen depressions in front of or beside greens).  

Philip Gawith

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 12:14:47 PM »
I took some pictures and will post them as soon as i work out how to do a decent job of it. I think it used to be voted top 100, but no longer.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 12:45:37 PM »
Philip,

I had coffee with the Secretary (Mr Silver) some years ago and at that time Ashridge had just dropped out of Golf World's Top 100.  He did not object to that, but he had not been aware of any Golf World panellists visiting the club since the previous evaluation.  He checked up with Golf World.  No one had visited.  'How, then, can we be deemed to be unworthy of the Top 100 if no one has visited?' was his natural response.  Golf World put the phone down on him.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 04:32:59 PM »
I'm very fond of Ashridge.  

A neat routing with 3 tees and greens clustered close to the clubhouse in a pretty valley (which the locals call "bottoms").  Many of the bunkers are well preserved too, with a ragged edge.

In addition to Philip's and Tom Doak's picks, I like the 4th/5th and the 17th/18th.  And the 14th green is a good Road hole green and unlike the Macdonald/Raynor replicas this one does have a road behind it!

Simpson built the current 3rd.  The old 3rd was beyond the lane and I think parallel to it, up the hill.  Not sure what else he did?  Perhaps the fine 11th?

The course does flatter your game on some holes that are routed along the "bottoms".
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 04:34:22 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Paul_Turner

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 04:38:25 PM »
Lifted a couple of pics just to show its character:

can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 04:59:35 PM »
I wasn't blown away by Ashridge, but after spending four months in the UK, the setting was a pleasant change from all the links and heathland courses I had been seeing, and I probably upgraded it a bit for that.  If it was in Michigan it wouldn't have gotten that edge.

I've only played it the one time, and I wish I had time to get back to it, but there are lots of others ahead of it on my list right now.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 05:34:42 PM »
You are right Paul about the cluster of tees and greens near the clubhouse. It is a feature I should have stressed more - you see the 9th green, 10th tee, 12th green, 13th tee, 18th green and 1st tee. I don't think I have ever sat in a clubhouse where you can watch as much golf played from the verandah.

No doubt there has been a thread on this topic before, but I would be interested to know if there are any clubs which can compare with this. Muirfield, I know, is a good example of a course where can you see a lot from the clubhouse, but is not much of it is right in front of you in the way it is at Ashridge.

I wonder too whether this is something that architects spend much time thinking about - how much golf you can see from the clubhouse.  

Andy Levett

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 05:54:38 PM »
Lifted a couple of pics just to show its character:

Ouch. Can't green commitees just let weaker players' games be flattered  rather than spoil the course for everyone with tree planting schemes  like those sapings on the left. Isn't having to play from a sidehill lie enough?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back