News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

A sad day at Olympic Club
« on: July 30, 2005, 07:29:27 AM »
Jim Lucius, the head pro and recently the director of golf at Olympic Club passed away yesterday.  The GolfWeek story is attached.

http://www.golfweek.com/pro/pro_pga/305786331711509.php

Jim was a PGA pro for nearly 50 years, old school and very proud of it.  He was the perfect head pro, a very fine player, great teacher, and got along with everyone.  He was always dressed perfectly, knew everyones name and ran a smooth operation.  He was the head pro at Southern Hills before coming to Olympic.

He helped open my eyes to architecture, easily making calls and arranging for me to play many golf courses throughout the country.  He will be missed.

Tom Ferrell

Re:A sad day at Olympic Club
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 11:52:18 AM »
Jim Lucius was a first-class individual.  When I was first beginning my study of GCA and my golf writing career, he hosted me at Olympic on the request of a mutual friend.  He didn't play, but he ventured out on the course several times during my round, pointing out interesting features and providing color commentary about the history of the holes.

My sympathies to his family and to all of his friends and the members at Olympic.

TOM

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 01:17:46 PM »
Jim was as fine a man as he was a teacher.  A sad day in Olympia.

Rest in peace, Jim.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

T_MacWood

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 12:17:46 AM »
Prior to working at Olympic and Southern Hills Jim was the pro at Little Turtle, an unknown course in Columbus designed by Roy and Pete Dye. His remarlable elevation from Little Turtle to Southern Hills to Olympic says alot about this man.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 04:04:48 PM »
Obituary in today's SF Chronicle.

Jim Lucius Obituary
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Mike Benham

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005, 11:55:34 PM »
Golf is just a game but it affords you the opportunity to meet many outstanding individuals, Jim was one of the finest you would ever meet.  A kind word, a firm handshake, a pat on the head of a young kid ... his red golf cart (the only red one at the OC) should be permanently parked outside of the teaching shed.

Rest in peace.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 11:56:38 AM »
Prior to working at Olympic and Southern Hills Jim was the pro at Little Turtle, an unknown course in Columbus designed by Roy and Pete Dye. His remarlable elevation from Little Turtle to Southern Hills to Olympic says alot about this man.

I have never heard of Little Turtle but I believe Jim was from Ohio and it had a soft spot with him.  He joined the Golf Club at the invitation of Fred Jones as one of the original members and in talking with him I thought it was his favorite golf course.  He also held the course record there for a time.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back