News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

wsmorrison

Leatherstocking Golf Course--lots of photos
« on: July 31, 2005, 07:18:06 PM »
This weekend I was fortunate enough to play a couple of rounds at the Leatherstocking Golf Course of the Otesaga Hotel in Cooperstown, New York.  This was the National Baseball Hall of Fame Induction Weekend in Cooperstown and the annual Hall of Fame Golf Tournament.  I was paired with David Winfield and Reggie Jackson.  Dave Winfield did not make the start but I had a wonderful round of golf with Reggie Jackson.  I don't usually play in front of thousands of people so it sure is nerve wracking.  It took a few holes to get the jitters out of my system but Reggie was a joy to play with.  He is nearly as fit now as he was in his playing days.  Its hard to believe the guy is 59 years old.  Well Mr. October (engraved on his lefty clubs) was still in a competitive spirit although we finished in the middle of the pack.

Jane Clarke hosts a very gracious get together at her estate the first official evening of the gathering.  I spent a lot of time with Steve Carlton, Robin Roberts, Jim Bunning, Brooks Robinson (a fabulous guy), Wade Boggs and Ryne Sandberg (Inductees this year), Yogi Berra, Buck O'Neal (he may not be a Hall of Famer, but he is a Hall of Fame gentleman), Tony Perez, Orlando Cepeda, Sparky Anderson, Ralph Kiner, Sandy Koufax, Juan Marichal, Bob Feller, Whitey Ford, Johnny Bench, Gary Carter, Al Kaline, Kirby Puckett, Ozzie Smith, Lou Brock, Billy Williams, George Brett, Harmon Killebrew and many others.

Later that night, my wife and I went down to the restaurant to look for my oldest son's retainer--he left it on his room service plate.  Well, there was no sign of the retainer but Willie Mays was there finishing a late supper.  Well, he was good friends with my father-in-law so with a bit of liquid courage in her, my wife went up and introduced herself and the rest of us.  He signed a ball for each of my two sons (his is the hardest signature to get by far) and they were thrilled to meet him and get his autograph on a ball.

The second day starts off with early golf, lunch--Reggie had to leave for an autograph signing but I enjoyed lunch with Yogi Berra and Carlton Fisk.

Later there was a 6pm cocktail party and awards ceremony.  There were 53 Hall of Famers in attendance this year, the most ever assembled in one place.  I got to meet nearly everyone at the outdoor gathering including Bill Murray who was there as a guest of Ryne Sandberg and played in the golf tournament.  He was very funny and charming.  My wife especially enjoyed meeting him.  He was a fan of her father's (Richie Ashburn, who played 2 years with the Cubs)

That evening was dinner at the Otesaga's ball room for all Hall of Famers and their families.  This year my wife and mother-in-law and I had dinner with Tom Seaver and his wife Nancy, Steve Carlton, Bob Gibson and Red Schoendeist.  Wow!  That was a blast and the stories were funny and insightful into the art of pitching--then and now.  Steve, Bob and Tom are very knowledgable wine afficionados.  Tom brought some excellent California Cabernets and spoke about his own vineyard he started.  His very limited production will be first bottled in 3 years and I'm looking forward to going out there and seeing his artisan operation.  Bob Gibson was the pitcher that my father admired most and was the toughest to face.  Bob was kind enough to point out that by the time they faced each other, Rich was on the downside of his career while he was starting to become the dominant pitcher of his era.  Richie once fouled off 14 straight pitches against Bob as lead-off hitter in the 1st inning before finally drawing a walk.

Well, this is a golf site, not a baseball site so here are some photos of the Leatherstocking Course:

The 1st tee

The 2nd hole

The 3rd green

The 4th tee

The 4th approach

The 5th tee

The 10th green

The 13th tee
The flag is beyond a series of canted ridges on this short par 4 with a deep grass pit to the left of the green

The 15th approach
The green sits in a depression 40-yards beyond the flanking bunkers

The 16th tee

The 16th green

The 17th

The 18th tee
How much do you want to cut off?  The green is about 90 yards to the left of the small stone building on the left.

The 18th approach

Reggie Jackson looking fit while studying the 16th tee

Yogi Berra (in blue shirt at side of green), George Brett (white shirt) and Bill Murray (yellow visor)

This is a delightful resort with lots to do for families and many having nothing at all to do with baseball.  If you don't like crowds, stay away during Hall of Fame Weekend.  It is packed!  It is a charming Victorian village with a beautiful mountain lake--The Glimmerglass of JF Cooper's Deerslayer stories.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 07:35:08 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Kyle Harris

Re:Leatherstocking Golf Course--lot's of photos
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 07:23:26 PM »
Wayne,

They replayed your father-in-law's induction on CSN today, and showed a picture of his grandkids. One looked like David around the age of 4 maybe? Pretty sure I saw you too...

You get my message?

wsmorrison

Re:Leatherstocking Golf Course--lot's of photos
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 07:28:49 PM »
David was 4 during the induction--hard to believe it was 10 years ago.  I wasn't sure I was in any photos because it was hotter then hell that day and the little guy with the whitest skin was sunburned so I had to sit with him in the shade at the side of the podium most of the event.

I did get your phone message--that is great news!  The cell reception was horrible up in the mountains but I congratulate you---a big step up for you in my opinion.  Now if I would have written a recommendation you probably wouldn't have gotten it  ;)

Kyle Harris

Re:Leatherstocking Golf Course--lots of photos
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 07:41:50 PM »
Or just relegated to trash duty...  :P

Good pics though... now tell me...

Did Dev Emmet build any phallic features in such avante gaurd architecture?

wsmorrison

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 07:48:47 PM »
I didn't notice any such features, Kyle.  

The golf course was in excellent shape considering they've been suffering from a lot of rain and humidity lately.  The greens were as fast as I've ever seen them.  Considering how small they are, how fast and with considerable slope, and with a number sloping front to back, its hard to have many makeable birdie putts.  

Kyle Harris

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005, 07:51:01 PM »
I do like the 13th, what a unique looking hole. Must be a thrill to play.

Also looks like the course lost some fairway width and has some walls o' pine trees from the sixties.

Interesting about the use of the fallaway greens... any holes of note?

paul cowley

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005, 07:54:17 PM »
Wayne.... looks like you achieved a lifetime of memories in a long weekend, good stuff.
BTW, the Leatherstocking course is my sentimental reason for being in this business....I grew up playing munis and farmer courses, and when, at 16, I first played the course it was wow...this is very different!....so I started a dry masonry business before expanding out to working offshore on oil rigs.
...and the rest, as I'm sure you know.....is still not history.

...methinks we might be clinking glasses sometime soon ...cheers!

paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

wsmorrison

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005, 08:35:16 PM »
Paul,

I look forward to seeing you and hearing the sound of clinking glasses!  I remember you saying that this was one of the first courses that sparked your interest in golf course architecture.

It is an interesting course with a lot of sub 400-yard par 4s with small tricky greens, some short par 4s and a nice variety of par 3s.  For as short a course at around 6400 yards it isn't a pushover.
1  340
2  392 uphill
3  210 during the tournament, there are a large number of fans that line the wall along the left.  If I'm off, I tend to pull or hook so I tried a punch shot and rolled the ball nicely onto the green.   Yogi was closest to the pin at 80 years old he teed off from 178
4  513
5  411
6  362
7  404
8  375
9  186  uphill to a blind green benched into a hillside sloping left to right.  Bill Murray was closest to the pin at 4'
10 384
11 560
12 137  Whitey Ford closest to the pin on this severe drop (~40-feet) par 3
13 342
14 254 (tee was up) I was over the green with a really good 3 wood.
15 467 (par 5) with a hidden green on the back of a downslope towards the lake
16 366
17 182
18 515  Mike Schmidt hit a drive while we were playing our approach that was awesome.  He took a very aggressive line over the water and had about 135-yards in.  His team was stocked with Lou Brock and Rollie Fingers.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 08:35:34 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Ted Kramer

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2005, 08:43:22 PM »
I've played the course a handful of times and from what I remember you'd have to POUND a drive on 18 to have 135 left to the green . . .wow!!!

I always name Leatherstocking's last 3 (16-18) as one of the most enjoyable finishing stretches of holes that I have played. Thanks for posting the pics . . .must have been an incredible experience!!

-Ted

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2005, 10:04:40 PM »
Yogi was closest to the pin at 80 years old he teed off from 178

Wow, you mean 80 years old was closest to the pin?  How old was farthest from the pin? :o ;) ;D 8)

I couldn't even swing a club in Yogi's presents, I'd be so shook up. ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Doug Wright

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 12:24:07 PM »
Wayne,

Congratulations on a great weekend! And thanks for the photos.

I played Leatherstocking a hundred years ago as a teenager  :o and found it very quirky, nettlesome and a lot of fun--small sloped greens, nice elevation changes, some blindness. Highly memorable even these many years later. I'd never played anything like 18 with the tee box on a little island in the bay, and it was a thrill to find terra firma with the tee shot. As mentioned, the closing stretch is terrific. Looks like the trees have overtaken the course in many places.    
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back