News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Shimp

black patches on bent greens in nc
« on: July 29, 2005, 01:40:27 PM »
In the summer for the last couple of years my home course's greens have developed black patches where no grass will grow. Some are only 1-2" across and others are 2 feet across. What is the cause of this and how can it be prevented or lessened?

Scott_Burroughs

Re:black patches on bent greens in nc
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 01:50:25 PM »
Did they zap some poa or Bermuda patches?

Brad Klein

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 02:00:15 PM »
What has your superintendent said about it? You should ask him/her first.

Craig Disher

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 02:01:35 PM »
I've seen the same type of thing at my old course. The super told me it was algae - a sign of lots of water and not much sunlight.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 03:41:45 PM »
Craig is right-It sounds like Algae...
Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 10:21:29 PM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 04:01:24 PM »

Does it look like this...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 06:17:13 PM »
Just a guess without seeing, but it is likely areas that thinned out from a bout with brown patch, then they get the 'ol black algae. I would also bet you are talking about bentgrass greens. It's a tough gig down there in the summer with bent.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Bill Gayne

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 06:27:25 PM »
How effective are greenside fans in preventing black algae?

John Shimp

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 06:51:15 PM »
Thanks for the input. Sup't has been around only 3 months and came from the northeast and hasn't dealt with this before on my course. Joe Hancock's brown patch then algae sounds like what has gone on based on other posts.  Fans do help with the black patch but they only exist on our 5 most shaded greens. Also, the fans seems to keep the most susceptible greens even with others versus make them better.  The club has done a lot of tree removal which has helped but this patch is really frustrating in the summer.  Does look a bit like the picture attached on the one reply but the patches are larger.  

I was wondering if the timing of the watering would have an effect or is it just the amount of water and what is in the water?

Tim Taylor

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 07:43:23 PM »
We had this black algae at my old club in Virginia, mostly on several greens that laid low near a stream valley and received little sunlight. It got so bad that several of the greens had to be gassed and completely regrassed.

TimT

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2005, 01:33:21 AM »
John Shimp, check your I.M. for a forwarded message through me, from an experienced super in the Carolina's for some info.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back