News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marc Haring

Re:More of "Nature's Way" agronomic practices....
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2005, 04:48:56 AM »
Thought I’d add a bit of input about our methods in the UK. Looks like we are lucky compared to you Guys.

We are in the south west of the UK and enjoy a temperate climate with temperatures between –5 and 30 degrees centregrade. Our greens are a mix of bent and poa with a little fescue in there.

By keeping them lean we have found we really get no risk from destructive fungal attacks. I’m thinking of fusarium mainly here but we are lucky in that we get little of anything else. We get some anthracnose but I treat that as an ally in that it takes out some of the poa. We also found that by cutting right back on the N input and therefore drastically improving the cell wall strength, we not only get less disease infection but also get additional big benefits such as vastly improved wear tolerance, drought tolerance, no triplex ring to worry about and no frost damage which means the golfers can play on the main greens all year.

As for such low levels of N input, we just ease right up and don’t feed and then manage the consequences. It’s just a case of having the discipline to do it. This will mean less verticutting (we want to keep the grass we have), little disruptive aeration as there is very little recovery from wear (we do a big core tine in March and top dress heavily to get the levels back and vertidrain every two months but with pencil tines), plenty of top dressing and we keep the HOC high, about 5.0mm at the moment. Despite us cutting high, we still get a good pace for the members because there is comparatively little grass on them.

We will feed a bit more later on in the year but all in all keep them constantly hungry. I think we are getting quite good at this but there are some places that are in a different league. Some of those links courses like TOC have got it to the stage where there is zero thatch and no ball marks, even in the winter. Kieran Daly at Gogmagog GC has gone from pure poa to complete fescue domination in just 3 years through a combo of no feeding at all, a total acceptance of die back, massive overseeding and a terrific sales job on the committee. In fact they ended up being more committed to the scheme than Kieran was.

TEPaul

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2005, 06:19:42 AM »
I think posts like some of these on this thread and also the PA Amateur at Huntingdon Valley thread from supers and such are just so good and so helpful. It's even better that this information and opinion is coming in from all over the world (in two cases to me in IMs but I'm asking permission to cut and paste them on here).

Some of these synopses are a mini-general and specific education for some of us laymen not in the business of agronomy but this kind of education is so important to have, in my opinion, if one is interested in what goes on in his club agronomically or particularly if one is on something like a green committee at their club.

I don't know how these website's work and are set up but I believe I'll call Ran and ask him if a few of these threads on agronomy can be archived in their own section (maybe just labeled "Agronomy" on the menu) so others can come on here in the future and get this mini-education from supers and such all around the world.

For my part, I have a whole lot to learn about golf agronomics from the basics to the details. But I think I bring something to these discussions because I pretty much always come at these discussions from the point of view of what it means in "playablity", and I think that's a most important nexus to always consider and discuss on this subject of golf's agronomy.

scott_wood

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2005, 10:55:04 AM »
Tom, please encourage Ran! I think you'll remember the thread in the Spring about "trees", and the feeling of some/many that  a seperate Section of GCA could be especially valuable as an educational/resource site. Knowledge is Power ( said someone) and "our" collective ideas MAY in the longer term be very very benefical to teh game...(think Johnny Appleseed)

Sean McCue

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2005, 02:22:13 PM »
Craig,

I would not reduce your water amount, but change how it is applied to the course. Here in Denver we have a similar climate as yours and  I easily only water every third night.  This past month we recived 1.05" rain with 18 days 90 or above and three consecutive 100 degree days even with those temperatures we only watered fairways 12 times.  We have Bentrgrass Fairways mowed at.250" at an elevation of 6600 ft.

Sean
Be sure to visit my blog at www.cccpgcm.blogspot.com and follow me on twitter @skmqu

Craig Sweet

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2005, 05:24:42 PM »
Yes! A nice section devoted to this sort of conversation would be great!

I had a long talk at work with my super. today about this thread, and how we maintain our course. Later, after I take the dog to the river for some cooling down I'll post some of that conversation...at least as I remember it  ;)
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back