News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Curry

Southward Ho
« on: January 04, 2006, 11:11:28 AM »
While re-reading The Course Beautiful I noticed the plan of Southward Ho, pg. 26 its very similar drawing style as that of Berkshire Hills.  Any feedback on the course?  Any Idea how intact the design is?

Thanks,
Steve

Jason Blasberg

Re:Southward Ho
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 12:30:12 PM »
Do you mean Tillinghast's Southward Ho in Bay Shore, NY?

Steve Curry

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 12:41:44 PM »
Jason,

Yes, That's the one.

Steve

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 12:41:55 PM »
Steve:

I have had the pleasure in playing the course a number of times over the years -- including the early season Horace Havemeyer event and Southward Ho! is indeed a treat to play.

For those looking for Tillie-lite (and I say that with not a hint of derision) the course is well done and certainly fun to play.

The strength of the course comes at the par-3 14th and continues all the way to the house. Generally, when you play Southward Ho! the prevailing wind comes off the Atlantic and you face a headwind that can be rather severe at times.

The par-3 14th is a gem of a hole. Playing about 225 yards the green is slightly elevated with fall-offs (reminiscent of Winged Foot) on the flanks. The remaining four holes are tough and require one's full attention. From all the par-3 holes I've played on LI, I would say that the 14th at Southward Ho! clearly merits a high honorable mention.

One of the other interesting holes is the par-4 8th. Here you have a hole that's roughly 370 yards or thereabouts. The hole turns a bit to the right at roughly 240 yards and you need to respect the trees on the side closest to the hole. The green -- not especially big -- is also well done -- two-tiers and requires a high fast stopping approach.

I can't speak to the issue of how "intact" the design is but Southward Ho!, as I mentioned at the outset, is a fun layout and one worth a play if an invite / opportunity arises.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 01:22:42 PM »
Steve:

I grew up caddying there, it's in my home town :)

Unfortunately, my father-in-law spent 7 years on the waiting list only to decide that when he got called for membership back in the 80s that he'd pass.  Otherwise I'd be a member today :-[

Anyhow, it's a fun members course with some interesting and small greens.  The front of the par 5 11th green is a small narrow saddle that fans out into more of a pear in the back.  

12 is also a bit of a bowl and it's small.  

Overall, they've done a decent amount of tree and brush removal over the last 5 or so years and have added (or recaptured if they were once there) runoff and chipping areas around many greens.  They've done some good work with fescue grasses recently and still could lose a bunch of trees.  One recent renovation that I don't like is they significantly softened a deep pot bunker to the right of the short 4th hole (141 from the tips).  It used to be impossible to get it within 20 feet if you missed a right pin to the right side in that bunker, now they've shallowed it out at least a few feet and also widened the bottom  :P  

Like typical Tilly most greens slope back to front and are pear shaped for the most part, pinching in the front to varying degrees.  For the flat portion of the South Shore they have the anticipated amount of slope.  It's not hilly Westchester but it's plenty difficult if you get above certain greens (especially #3, #7, #9 and #15).

IM me if you're ever on LI and genuinely interested in seeing the course as some of my wife's extended family are members there.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 01:27:42 PM by Jason Blasberg »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back