News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert_Ball

Pelican Hill closing for 2 years for construction
« on: July 15, 2005, 04:09:44 PM »
I know some of you are fans of these Fazio courses.  Today's OC Register reports that they'll be closed for 2 years for hotel construction and course renovation.

Pelican Hill refuses to coast
Irvine Co. will close the two elite golf courses there while it constructs a 5-star resort.

By MICHELE HIMMELBERG
The Orange County Register

The Irvine Co. will shut down its ocean-view golf courses at Pelican Hill for two years as it builds an all-inclusive resort called Pelican Hill at Newport Coast. Construction will begin later this summer.

The resort, designed to attract world travelers to the Orange County coastline, will offer a 204-room hotel managed by the Irvine Co. and 128 vacation villas perched above the Pacific.

The villas, a new golf clubhouse and a restaurant are scheduled to open in late 2007, with the hotel opening its doors a year later, the company reported Thursday.

The Irvine Co. aims to build and operate a five-star property on 115 acres, completing its 9,300-acre Newport Coast development. Plans include a second restaurant, a 24,000- square-foot spa, meeting rooms and specialty shops.

With Pelican Hill, Orange County's coastline will boast nearly a dozen luxury resorts. A consortium of hotels and golf courses recently banded together to market the region as The OCeanfront.

"The Orange County coast is maturing and Newport Coast is a big part of that," said Clarence Barker, president of the company's investment-properties group. "We've been planning this project for some time and this is kind of the last piece. It puts the puzzle together."

Despite the rapid growth of resorts in the area, Barker said he's confident that Pelican Hill will be able to thrive among the competition.

"We want this to be one that people around the world will talk about," he said. "The beauty and the message of Orange County is the opportunity to come and play golf, hike in open space and have unlimited access to the ocean."

The company decided to close the golf courses rather than disrupt patrons as it builds the resort and installs a comprehensive 1.2-million-gallon water-management system.

Golf officials are using the opportunity to bring back original designer Tom Fazio to assess the 14-year-old Ocean South Course and the Ocean North Course and recommend enhancements.

The practice facility at Pelican Hill golf course will close on July 31.

"We sent out a personal letter (Thursday) to our regular players explaining what's happening and offering them a little gift," said Hans Maissen, general manager of the course, whose extensive hotel- management experience may land him a new role when the resort is complete.

That gift is a free round of golf before the courses close.

The company declined to put a price tag on the project. Alan Reay, president of Atlas Hospitality Group, a hotel research firm in Costa Mesa, estimated that construction costs for the hotel and villas could run $70 million.

The most innovative part of the Pelican Hill resort could be its water-management system. It will collect the 1.2 million gallons of water in underground cisterns and recycle it to irrigate the two golf courses.

The resort lies along a stretch of coast that has been deemed biologically sensitive and all runoff is prohibited, said Kurt Berchtold, spokesman with the Santa Ana Regional Water Quality Control Board.

"We're significantly exceeding what we need to do according to regulations," said Jennifer Hieger, a company spokeswoman. "The system will be able to handle storms that dump up to 2 inches of rain a day."

Such storms are unusual, given that the average annual rainfall in Newport Beach is 12 inches.

Plans for Pelican Hill resort were first announced in 2003.

The residential portion of the resort, which includes two-bedroom and three-bedroom units, reflects a trend in luxury resorts. It brings in revenue upfront and makes it easier to finance the project.

The Irvine Co. plans to sell them on a "fractional ownership" basis, with owners buying a month or two of use.

The company solicited comments from residents in Newport Coast, who were mostly concerned about noise and lights, Barker said.

The company addressed those concerns and will build two parking garages with roofs that will be covered with Italian gardens. The residences above Pelican Hill will see the gardens, and all lights will be enclosed in the parking garages, Barker said.

The resort is part of the Irvine Co.'s master plan, which is governed by the Local Coastal Program and was approved in 1988 by the California Coastal Commission.

David Kelly

Re:Pelican Hill closing for 2 years for construction
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 04:23:02 PM »
I think we'll somehow manage to get by without them here in SoCal.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 05:03:56 PM »
AUTOMATED AUDEX GCA RESPONSE FROM THE OFFICE OF THOMAS M. NACCARATO

I'm Sorry, But Tom Naccarato had to leave out of the office for the rest of the week to take advantage of the beautiful Pelican Hill courses before their upcoming closure. If a emergency should arise, please leave a detailed message that can be returned in the proper time.....

Thank you.

Press 1 to leave an emergency message....
Press 2 to accept your current message....
Press 3 to detonate your entire message....
Press 4 to detonate the entire Pelican Hill complex

jg7236

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 12:47:58 PM »
It is going to be awesome when it opens back up.  My past parent company is doing the remodel planting plan design.  I have seen pictures and heard what they are going to be doing, and I can't wait to see it when it is finished.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 03:09:37 PM »
Redanman,
Someone has to pay for the after golf mints they offer at the valet parking when your leaving the place! (No joke)(I've never brought that up before. It's an Orange County-thing)

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 03:21:11 PM »
Yes, I do to, but when in Corona Del Mar...........

I'm surprised they didn't divulge how much this new expenditure is going to cost. I'm sure it will be passed right along to the consumer. What's another $75.00 added to the currrent green fee, after all your playing a golf course that's better then Pebble Beach. Next thing you know, they'll be calling it Doral-West. (The Orange Monster)

Jim Nugent

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 03:27:43 PM »
Yes, I do to, but when in Corona Del Mar...........

I'm surprised they didn't divulge how much this new expenditure is going to cost. I'm sure it will be passed right along to the consumer. What's another $75.00 added to the currrent green fee, after all your playing a golf course that's better then Pebble Beach. Next thing you know, they'll be calling it Doral-West. (The Orange Monster)

The wry voice of irony is speaking, right?

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2005, 07:04:51 PM »
Jim,
The more and more I think about the article, I'm more puzzled by the reasons, other then the fact that the Ocean-South is so bad and now that everyone knows it that they are taking the time to redo it. Frankly speaking, I don't think they can do much.

So if the courses are so special, why a remodel after only 10 or 12 years of existence? Is this what the Fazio Organization does now? Do they go back and redo their courses because they have become obsolete in engineering or playability? Those two courses are always in pristine shape because of what they charge--they have to be. The Ocean-North course isn't really as bad as I've made it out to be in the past, but its been more of a guilt by association/look what they could have done better with this site-kind of thing. (But its not all that great either. Mike Cirba's Anti-Strategy theories reign supreme here)

But given that Newport Beach CC Big Canyon CC and Shady Canyon GC are big-dollar courses to join, it would make some sense to the "budget conscience" of Newport Beach/Irvine/Corona Del Mar/Laguna/Laguna Niguel who play there.  They may not want to have to spend money on monthly dues or an initiation fee, and would rather play CCFAD on a course that really doesn't get  so jammed packed that you feel like your at a muni. They can pay as they play, not pay for a course you might not like playing all of the time, and Pelican Hill will do that to a guy. Somewhere in there put up with the fact that welcomed cell phone policies and 5 hour rounds are the norm--its a perfect excuse to get away from the wife whose out spending your cash at Fashion Island or South Coast Plaza. (Or something like that)

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2005, 07:52:51 PM »
AUTOMATED AUDEX GCA RESPONSE FROM THE OFFICE OF THOMAS M. NACCARATO

I'm Sorry, But Tom Naccarato had to leave out of the office for the rest of the week to take advantage of the beautiful Pelican Hill courses before their upcoming closure. If a emergency should arise, please leave a detailed message that can be returned in the proper time.....

Thank you.

Press 1 to leave an emergency message....
Press 2 to accept your current message....
Press 3 to detonate your entire message....
Press 4 to detonate the entire Pelican Hill complex

This is the post of the year.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back