News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re:Sand Hills Pics - June 05
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2005, 03:20:24 PM »
Tom Huckaby,

You're right, there is nothing better than executing and holing a well struck putt under pressure and viewing the agonizing looks on your opponnents faces, as opposed to misreading and ramrodding a downhill putt that would have gone off the green had it not luckily hit a pebble deflecting it to the right, hitting the hole so hard that it needed to be repaired after it jumped up three inches before falling back into the hole.

The sad thing is that he repeated this process on the 7th and 12th holes in our afternoon match.

Paul Thomas,

I'm a grad.

How about you ?

THuckaby2

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2005, 03:28:07 PM »
Tom Huckaby,

You're right, there is nothing better than executing and holing a well struck putt under pressure and viewing the agonizing looks on your opponnents faces, as opposed to misreading and ramrodding a downhill putt that would have gone off the green had it not luckily hit a pebble deflecting it to the right, hitting the hole so hard that it needed to be repaired after it jumped up three inches before falling back into the hole.

The sad thing is that he repeated this process on the 7th and 12th holes in our afternoon match.

Well said.  I alluded to such elsewhere, citing defiance of the laws of physics.  Certain hickory-users ought to hang their heads in shame rather than do any form of gloating.

THuckaby2

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2005, 03:35:20 PM »
Corny and sappy are my standard modes, 8-putt.  So well said.  Getting back to everyday life just does plan suck, though!

BTW, before he gets on and gloats, I'll report that Ran pasted me 5 and 4.  You know the old adage about bets being won on the first tee?  Never was there a truer example.  Receipt of 12 shots... his shame and guilt ought to be endless.

TH

ps - the sick thing is the man can play pretty damn well with those hickories... god that hurts to admit....

PThomas

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2005, 03:41:52 PM »
Patrick -- no, of course not

my dislike comes from the, IMHO, RABID nature of all of the supporters I grew up around...I have lived on the southwest side of Chicago my whole life , an area that contains many Irishmen, and then I married a fine Irish lass named Lonergan....being 100% Polish, I think I was the first non-Irish one of them married, which of course meant more ND craziness...

my favorite ex of this zealousness:  at my wife's parents house years ago... my father in law, rest his soul, was an otherwise fine man, like you, except for ND football...anyway, of course the game was on, they were winning something like 206-0 wit 2 minutes to go...I made the logical suggestion of putting on the golf since the ND was, in effect , over..he would have nothing of that, of course.....

hence my dislike of ND football..

but I do like the Warren course!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

THuckaby2

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2005, 03:46:01 PM »
FINALLY something that might draw the red ink out of Patrick - ND football.

See, I'm with Paul.  I have nothing against ND grads - hell I respect them as it is a great school.  What makes me hate ND football are the LEGIONS of bandwagoneers who have no connection to ND but somehow make it their own... subway alumni my ass.  Jeez I've had to live with them all my life... California catholic school boys rooting for ND... it was and is bile-inducing.

Of course there are far less of these bandwagoneers these days, no?

Oh what a joyful rapturous time we live in, when USC dominates and ND fires coaches and plummets to Clemson-like status.

That oughtta bring out the red.

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 03:46:41 PM by Tom Huckaby »

PThomas

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2005, 03:50:19 PM »
"bile inducing" gets my phrase of the day award Huck!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2005, 03:54:20 PM »
Tom Huckaby,

Over the last 15 years, what's the record with ND vs USC ?

After you answer that, let's get back to golf course architecture and Sand Hills.

THuckaby2

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2005, 04:02:58 PM »
Patrick:

Quite convenient that you chose 15 years.  Oh well.  I shall spare you by NOT asking you the record over the last 10, nor querying how many national championships were won in football by each school in the last 5 years.  ;)

So OK, back to architecture and Sand Hills. I'm just bummed that wasn't enough to bring out the red ink.

:'(

Neil Regan

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2005, 02:37:04 AM »
A few more pictures, some more later.

---------
Fearsome weather beyond the 4th. Tornadoes touched down not very far away, in the panhandle beyond Ogallala (where Bayside Golf Course is.)

---------
Mr. Huntley, alone up the 11th

---------
Two views of the 14th

---------
Bob Huntley, in form on the 17th

Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Sean_A

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2005, 04:03:25 AM »
Wow (to use Jimmy Connors' word)!  This course looks absolutely stunning.  I assume it is even better than it looks.  Yall look about as happy as is possible without having sex, the young lad excluded of course.  

Mike, Notre Dame ain't so bad.  Nowhere near the league of Michigan you understand, but then neither is USC in U of M's class.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Bill Weber

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2005, 06:29:21 AM »
Brad, relative to the smiling faces. My wife commented on the same thing during our visit. My response was that I had read once a great roller coaster could be judged by the faces of those getting off at the end of the ride. I would also love to see pictures of those leaving the property. No smilely's there I would guess.
Wonderful pictures you guys. It must have been awesome. :'(

THuckaby2

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2005, 09:31:30 AM »
Holey Moley... Neal, I think I told someone while we were there, maybe it was you yourself, that you were a +4 handicap photographer... make that a +8.  "Stunning" does not do these justice... you have come closer than I thought possible to capturing the essence of the place.  And these are just the first few you are posting... I can only imagine what else you have up your sleeve.

Well done.

TH

Sean_A

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2005, 09:32:25 AM »
Shivas

Judging from your comments about leaving the game for three years and getting by, the remark on this thread is altogether shocking.  Does your wife know you feel this way?  Think about it, sex or golf?  I thought you were a "liberated" man.  

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

THuckaby2

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2005, 09:37:25 AM »
Sean - Shivas is right.

VERY, VERY right.

TH

Sean_A

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2005, 09:42:14 AM »
Boys, I noticed a load of soft looking bunkers about the course.  Do you think it would be extra special to play golf during the day then use the bunkers ....?  Nah, it would never work.  Probably bump into a guy from California and another from Chicago talking some rubbish about how golf never gets their wives pregnant.

Ciao

Sean

Michael Moore

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2005, 10:24:42 AM »
That photo of Bob Huntley on 17 paints such a splendid scene that it is almost not an ass shot . . .

Almost . . .
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Kyle Harris

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2005, 10:30:53 AM »
Those storms in back of 4...

Yeah, I got to fly through (around/over) them.

:-X

RJ_Daley

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2005, 10:36:29 AM »
Fearsome weather beyond the 4th. Tornadoes touched down not very far away, in the panhandle beyond Ogallala (where Bayside Golf Course is.)

Now Neil, were those thunderheads really that dusty rose?  That is a remarkable photo.  I was over there in Ogallala, and didn't see a cloud that beautiful, nor any twister... ;) ;D

Actually, I think that #4 photo is oriented SSE.  So was that dusk that the pic was taken?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Gene Greco

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2005, 11:27:48 AM »
RJ:

It was dusk and the clouds appeared to be that color.

Again, thanks for commenting on my new "look".  Can you say Outland Trophy?

Gene
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

THuckaby2

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2005, 11:30:05 AM »
Gene, I'm with ya brother.  At one point it was all Doak Walker for me also.  Now it's Outland, baby.  I call it fine living and progress.

;D

Neil Regan

« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2005, 11:51:39 AM »

Now Neil, were those thunderheads really that dusty rose?  That is a remarkable photo.  I was over there in Ogallala, and didn't see a cloud that beautiful, nor any twister... ;) ;D

Actually, I think that #4 photo is oriented SSE.  So was that dusk that the pic was taken?

Dick,

It was Monday evening. I heard about the tornadoes on the radio on Tuesday. Here is what a TV station reported:

Severe Storms in Southern Nebraska Panhandle
Potter, NE
Associated Press

A tornado appeared to have touched down just three miles east of Potter Monday night, but only minor damage was reported.

The emergency management coordinator for the area, Larry Collins, says some trees and a power line were down along U.S. Highway 30 and a county road. A pivot irrigation unit also was turned upside down.

Collins says severe storms did a lot of hail damage to crops, and some people lost entire wheat fields. Collins says several tornadoes may have touched down in rural areas in the Panhandle, but no major damage is reported.

Collins says his area includs Morrill, Kimball, Cheyenne, Deuel and Garden counties.

[/color]
Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

George_Bahto

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2005, 01:26:07 PM »
At this point - a couple days later - I’m still so overwhelmed with the Sand Hills (total) experience, I‘m not ready to comment ..... so I’ll post some of my pictures instead  ........

Gene and his son Christian

and look at Hundley in this pit .......

does it better than this?

If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

TEPaul

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2005, 06:42:51 PM »
Do you believe these characters I was with? Now we have photos of golfers take photos of golfers playing golf.

If they were planning on taking this many photos why the hell didn't they take some photos of that cute little Dominque and some of those other nubile Nebraska corn and beef-fed little beauties out and around the Sand Hills G.C.?

DUMMKOPFS!!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 06:43:54 PM by TEPaul »

wsmorrison

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2005, 06:58:36 PM »
You probably know, Tom that Dominique is Cameron's girlfriend.  She is a lovely girl and crack golfer--Univ of Miami maybe, I think she knows Dave Miller's daughter.  Then again, I can be totally wrong about the collegiate connection.

She caddied 36 holes a day for me and I was the tired one; she seemed fresh as a daisy, cuter than one too!  

TEPaul

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2005, 11:01:22 PM »
Wayne:

I believe Cameron is married, matter of fact I know he is because he mentioned it. Maybe I got the name wrong of that little sprite I'm talking about. Maybe her name isn't Dominque. I doubt she's old enough to be married to Cameron or his girl friend. Either way I would not recommend he take her across the state line or he could be arrested for violating the MANN ACT! (transporting minors across a state line for lascivous purposes).  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back