News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

What course do you really like and yet, upon closer examination, you find it doesn't really have one single "great" hole?

Scott Kraus

What is your favourite course that doesn't have a single stand-out hole?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
People may gasp, but I don't think Pinehurst #2 has a "stand-out" hole. Hole 5 sticks out the most but it is over the top hard and is far from the best on that course.

John Sessions

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
I would suggest that Royal Birkdale doesn't have a standout hole but it remains a very fine course that is highly respected.

John Morrissett

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
Garden City Golf.

DBE

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
Chicago Golf Club.  I agree with Pinehurst No. 2.

DBE

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
Pine Valley -- the holes are all so good that one doesn't stand out above the others.

T_MacWood

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
Pinehurst #2 and Long Cove. 18 very good holes, but no great holes.

David Staebler

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
Royal Dornoch.  A wonderful flow of interesting shots, strategies and vistas.  Despite my fondness for foxy and #5, and #6 and #10 and #17 (just to name a few) they are just part of the journey.  There is also the first full view of the sweep of the course from the 3rd tee and the first full look back from the 9th green and the trek up the high hole (both the walk and golfing a ball).  Like a good bottle of wine, no one swallow is the best.

David Staebler

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
Oakmont.

Come Again

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
David, You must be a member at Pine Valley if you don't think Foxy or 12, 15,and 18 at Oakmont count as standout holes.

mike_malone

Good to see my "guru" Dave Staebler rescued from the archives.
AKA Mayday

Mark_Rowlinson

I agree, Royal Birkdale.  Saunton East, perhaps, too.  Alwoodley?

Kenny Lee Puckett

I agree with Pinehurst #2.  While great in so many ways, holes seem to lack distinquishing features from eachother.

How about Lytham St. Anne's?

JWK

Ken Bramlett

Interesting.

My question is:  if none of these classics mentioned in this thread have any great holes, how can the courses themselves be considered great courses?

RT

James Keever,

You are right in a sense about Royal Lytham St. Annes, yet there are a couple of stand-out stars like the deadly no. 9, no. 12 (a fav of Nicklaus), no. 17, no. 18.  Close seconds are no. 14,15,16, in fact 12-18 a fine finish.

RT

Kenny Lee Puckett

RT -

The first Open Championship that I attended was at LSA.  If you see the footage of Seve in the car park on 15, you will see a shivering 18 yr. old in a blue windbreaker.

All in all, while difficult, LSA to me had no physically significant or notorious holes, save for the Bobby Jones marker on 17.

On the same trip, I was lucky to have played HCEG, TOC, Gleneagles Kings (Loved Braid's Best #13) and Queens, and Sunningdale Old.  All of these courses had holes with immediately recognizable features.

I am not belittling either Pinehurst #2 or LSA as their resistance to scoring has been proved time and time again.  The out and back routing of LSA does make for some fine disparities of first and second nine scores.

JWK

Mike Hendren

Wild Horse.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

hhuffines

I would add CCNC Dogwood and possibly Grandfather to this
list.

Andy Levett

It is a tough question as any attempt invites the riposte: "No xx actually has 18 stand-out holes."
How about Woodhall Spa?  

Jim_Coleman

Malone:
          As Staebler's attorney, I am writing to advise you that we will sue for defamation unless you retract the statement that he's your guru.

Rob_Waldron

For years i have tried to determine a "signature" hole at Pinehurst #2....to no avail. I appreciate short par 4 holes so #3 and #13 fit the bill very well at Pinehurst #2.

Sean_A

I also agree about #2, from what little I know.  I would nominate Muirfield and Donegal.  Andy may have something with Woodhall.  I am also having a think about Southerndown.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mike Benham

Of course, defining "great" will be the variable in this exercise.

I'll throw in Olympic Lake ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

JAHogan

Muirfield.

It was my favorite course on a recent trip to Scotland (also included St. Andrews (Old and New), Carnoustie, Kingsbarns, North Berwick and Gullane 1).  What I loved was the way it flowed naturally over the land, not any particular hole.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back