News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

East Lothian trip immediate thoughts New
« on: June 20, 2005, 06:24:47 AM »
Just returned from East Lothian.  Weather was very fine and the rough was not so fine.  Muirfield rough was some of the harshest I have ever seen.  Especially since it was a bit drizzly on Thursday, getting out was a chore (assuming you could find it).  Initial impressions are:

1. The West Links conditioning is vastly improved from five years ago.  Greens are rolling much better.  However, they have cut down the harsh rough in the gully out where the first fairway ends.  This is a shame because now one can just blast a driver up there and have a good chance of a decent lie if it is mishit.  I hope this trend does not continue, though I must say they had the rough about right.  Some very penal, but mostly findable with a recovery shot available.

The layout is better than I thought and after seeing the course twice this week, I have concluded that the holes I previously labelled as weak, are not.  Once again I was wrong!

2. The Glen is potentially quite good.  The greens were truly awful.  Apparently they lost them this spring and are now growing them back in.  If this was my club, I would probably knock it down to a 9 holer. The holes on the lower end are quite good, but the holes on top are average.

3. Two biggest surprises of the week were Musselborough Old and Gullane#3.  Both of these courses are well worth playing.  I was especially taken with #3.  I think this is a much better value than #s 2&3.  Clearly, #3 is not as good (except for the greens!), but this is mostly because of yardage.  At 5200 yards it will not excite many, but the use of the hill is very good for the most part and the course plays longer than the card suggests.  Of course there are a few silly holes, but in the main, good to very good holes abound. 

MO was a pure delight.  The course has improved dramatically from five years ago.  We did a three club challenge and it is the only way to play the course.  Woods just overpower the place.  Take 5, 9 and putter out, and the course is in its true element.  I would highly recommend playing this course now.  Changes are coming.  There are plans on the board to extend to 18 holes and a terrific opening hole is due to be removed. 

4. Muirfield was good as usual.  No let up with the challenges.  The course doesn't strike me as having any outstanding holes, but not a hole on the course is less than good.  As I say, the only gripe is the rough.  This is a serious detraction from totally enjoying the course.

Perhaps I will try to figure out how to post photos.

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 02:56:48 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Philip Gawith

Re:East Lothian trip immediate thoughts
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 06:42:27 AM »
How many holes at MO Sean - 9 or 12? And excuse ignorance - is West Links a fancy reference to North Berwick or something different?

Philip Gawith

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 07:53:05 AM »
Had a fun weekend playing the member guest at Queenwood - designed by David Kidd of Bandon Dunes fame, and with various celebrity guests in attendance - Alan Hansen, Gary Lineker, Hugh Grant etc. An honour to be in their presence!

It is a fabulous course and the conditioning is unmatched by anything I have seen in the UK. Also has amazing greens - lots of slope and undulation and the quickest greens I have putted in the UK by some margin.

You had the best of the old and I had the best of the new!

Glen Rapoport

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 09:25:31 AM »
Sean,

can you just walk up to MO, or do you need to make advanced reservations...especially during the week before the OPen?

Glen

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back