News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil_the_Author

Why did Bobby Jones choose McKenzie for Augusta?
« on: June 13, 2005, 12:38:04 PM »
Booby Jones had the choice of anyone for ANGC, so why did he choose McKenzie?

For example, he made a number of visits to Harrington Park to visit and hold long conversations with Tillinghast before it was built. He was there so often, in fact, that his granddaughter Barbara, who would accompany the two men in long walks in the fields behind his home as they talked, would imitate Jones' walk. In fact to this day she answers to the nickname of "Bobby Jane" that Tilly gave to her for doing this.

Why not Ross? or any of the others for that matter? What were the deciding factors in choosing McKenzie?

Ken Fry

Re:Why did Bobby Jones choose McKenzie for Augusta?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 01:03:10 PM »
A long story short I always heard was a Jones visit to Pasatiempo after loosing in the 1st round of the U.S. Amateur.

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 01:14:27 PM »
The story I've heard most is that Jones at that point was such a fan of TOC, one might logically conclude that was a form of the architectural model he wanted to do somehow in Georgia. I don't think it was any secret at all in 1930 that Alister MacKenzie was probably considered to be a far greater expert on TOC and its principles than Donald Ross or anyone else.

One cannot overlook something that apparently has been little know until now. Apparently some of the ideas and architectural philosophies that Max Behr had developed at this point had become a larger influence on both MacKenzie and Jones than most have realized.

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 01:23:39 PM »
Tom is right on both counts.

I shouldn't fan the Max Behr flame under Tom's nose, but if you reread MacK's The Spirit of St Andrews, the name he mentions most often after B. Jones is M. Behr.

Bob  

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 02:21:06 PM »
I believe they had a lot of contact before Augusta.  I remember hearing that MacKenzie spent time walking with OB Keeler at one of Jones' St. Andrews wins ... not sure if it was 1930 or 1926.  Sid Matthew told me that Jones had MacKenzie's map of The Old Course prominently displayed in his law office, but that may have been after their relationship at Augusta.

MacKenzie was on hand to follow Jones and Tolley and Hollins and Vare around Pasatiempo for their opening day match in 1929.

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 02:22:41 PM »
"Tom is right on both counts."

Come on Bobsy, you know better than that. I'm right on all counts all the time.

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 02:31:41 PM »
Bob:

I have a new theory for you about Max Behr. What do you think the possibilty is that Max Behr may've been some kind of super elitist and he understood full well that his bizarre writing style was simply so only the most intelligent people imaginable could actually ever read what he wrote and understand it? This might mean something prophetic like only those who are willing to read him and capable of understanding him should lead golf and golf architecture into the future and to the Promised Land. Does this mean that Geoff Shackelford, you and me should lead all of golf into the future and to sun-lit uplands never before seen or even imagined? I think it does. How about you? Which of us should ask Geoff what he thinks?

BCrosby

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 02:36:47 PM »
Tom and Tom -

There is pretty good evidence that Jones met MacK and Behr at St. Andrews at the '26 Walker Cup. They followed the matches with O.B. Keeler. Behr also quotes Jones from what must have been that meeting. MacK seems to imply that they may have played TOC several times together after the matches. Jones had several free weeks on his hands after he changed travel plans and decided to stick around for the Open.

By the time Jones saw Cypress Point in '29, he and MacK were already good friends.

Bob

BCrosby

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 02:41:05 PM »
TEP -

The answers to your questions are as follows:

- no,
- no,
- no,
- you ask Geoff what he thinks. I don't have the heart for the inevitable answer.

Bob

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 06:40:18 PM »
Simply, Jones searched for the best piece of property.

Why wouldn't he hire the best architect?

Dunlop_White

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 08:29:42 PM »
Right on! Ultimately, it was Jones and MacKenzies' mutual fascination and affection with St. Andrews, where Jones won both the 1927 Open Championship and the 1930 Amateur Championship on his way to capturing The Grand Slam, which sold Jones on Mackenzie.

From the very beginning, St. Andrews was the inspiration for the Augusta National Golf Club. Where the topography permitted, from the clubhouse to Rae's Creek, Jones and MacKenzie set out to reproduce and recreate St. Andrew's finest golf features. For instance,

Hole 4 at Augusta was a duplication of Hole 11 at St Andrews, also known as the Eden Hole.

Hole 7 at Augusta was originally patterned after Hole 18 at The Old Course.

Plateau Greensites: These greens were often perched upon a knoll and contained two surface levels: a lower front portion and a higher rear portion. Mackenzie employed this green style, often found at St. Andrews, repeatedly at Augusta as exemplified on Hole 1, Hole 5, Hole 9, Hole 14 and Hole 18.

Central Bunkers: Hole 8, Hole 11, and hole 14 at Augusta, like St. Andrews, maintained  bunkers in the middle of fairways which helped lure golfers to the perimeters of play.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 10:43:03 PM »
As I have read the various stories, it seems to fall out in this path:

Jones (after a shaky start!) loved The Old Course.  He acknowledged MacKenzie's intimate knowledge of TOC.

When he went to Pebble Beach and lost in the first round, he had time to become familiar with MacKenzie's designs at Cypress Point and Pasatiempo, both competed golf courses, and experience first hand how MacKenzie incorporated the basic strategies and features of The Old Course into courses which were far away and in diffferent landscapes than TOC.  

Given those experiences, it would have been relatively simple for Jones to make the decision to hire MacKenzie.  He was a known quantity in design and production, and he had proven capable of creating the Old Course experience in settings as diverse from St Andrews as the nursery in Augusta would prove to be.

It really is a wonderful story, and wouldn't you love to have been in the gallery for the opening round at Pasatiempo!  I played there again recently, and I have to say the back nine there may be the finest nine holes of golf in America.  No hyperbole intended.

ForkaB

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005, 10:07:05 AM »
According to HWW, Jones fell in love with MacKenzie after seeing his map of the Old Course, and he was always #1 on his list of archie's if he ever built his dream course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back