News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

Italy
« on: June 06, 2005, 06:29:41 PM »
I know, I know, there is lots to do there without the need for golf, but I was wondering whether anyone had played golf in Tuscany?

David_Tepper

Re:Italy
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 06:51:59 PM »
Ben -

I was in Tuscany the last week of March. I did not play any golf. I did drive by Ugolino, which is south of Florence and I know has held numerous Euro tour events over the past 20+ years. What I saw from the road (which was not a whole lot, to be honest) did not look very appealing - VERY hilly.

DT

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 07:19:32 PM »
David

I have played Ugolino - you would be right about the not very appealing aspect.
It's not an 'avoid even if you are desperate for a game' but it is not much better than that.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 08:30:36 PM »
Ben - you goin?  My bags are packed!  ;)

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 10:19:30 AM »
La Benna,
Whadda yu wants da go golfin' ina Italy for?

Whattsamatta you? Yu wants to go to da Italy for dos a bella women! Theysa nice! Theysa fine! Whadda kind of bella girl do yous a want?  I'll finda uno for yous!

Dicka Daley, tella Ben he is a crazy to wants to gosa a golfin' when ina Italy...

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 10:38:20 AM »
Brother Tommy,
I prefaced for a reason :)

We get requests all the time for golf in Tuscany and I am headed there myself, with my own bella. No golf for me, but I was wondering whether I should swing in for a look.

Poggio de’Medici and Le Pavoniere seem to be the other two that have come up.

Villa D'Este in the north seems to be the only one that is truly worthy of a flight.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 10:40:04 AM »
NYTimes sent me an e-mail yesterday with bargains on golf in FRANCE!

Bill,
Les Bordes in the Loire Valley is a sublime place to spend a day or two and provides a respite from a full week in Paris. The nearby town of Beaugency is equally lovely, so it does not have to be all golf...

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 10:45:36 AM »
Ben - you goin?  My bags are packed!  ;)
Jon,
It is a surprise trip with Allie, so no golf this time around.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 11:21:12 AM »
Sean, thanks for the heads up. I did not have clubs with me a few years ago when I was hanging out in Tuscany. I did see alot of Brits and golf courses though. I am glad to hear I did not miss much lol

ForkaB

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 02:13:21 PM »
I golfed my pallottola in Italy last Spring at a Pete Dye course (Franciacorte) which while a bit goofy, is worth visiting.  North of Tuscany, and fly/train-over country for the Milan-Venice tourist axis, what the course might lack in achitectural merit is more than compensated for by the style of its members.  Do NOT got there if you are in the least bit insecure about your fashion sense!

henrye

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 04:15:11 PM »
Ben, spent a few weeks in Tuscany 2 years ago.  Don't remember any golf though.  The only golf I've seen in Italy are a couple of courses north of Milan next to Como and a neat looking little city course in Rapallo near Portofino.

Gerry B

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2005, 10:44:29 PM »
Ben:

Villa D'Este is a beauty - the lunch rivals the food at your favorite course  -NGLA - and the golf course is pretty good as well

ciao,

gerry

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 08:58:02 AM »
Yard for yard, meal for meal, compare Villa D' Este to Merion.

Brad Klein

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 09:04:28 AM »
Good timing for this thread, as the dear wife and I are taking an actual vacation to Udine and Venice later this month. Anyone know anything about golf in Udine? I promised I'd limit my golf to two rounds and am not even bringing the clubs.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2005, 04:36:12 AM »
If you want to escape tourists and Brits forsake Tuscany and go instead to Umbria - much quieter.  Make sure you visit Orvieto, Assisi, Perugia, Gubbio, Amelia, Baschi, Citta della Pieve, Citta di Castello, Ferentillo, Foligno, Magione, Narni, Spello, Spoleto, Todi, and dozens of little hilltop villages such as Preggio and Castel Rigone.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2005, 11:11:26 PM »
Sean, a couple of years ago we were in Siena a week ahead of the Palio and the excitement was already in the air!  The racecourse was set up in Il Campo, the dirt was on the track.  I wish we had been there for the race, which apparently only takes a couple of minutes to complete, and can be very physical!

Brad Klein, if you haven't booked a hotel in Venice yet, take a look at Pensione La Calcina in the Dorsoduro.  It's on the corner of the immense Guidecca canal and the tiny Rio Vio canal.  A short walk from the Accademia Bridge and the Guggenheim and Santa Maria della Salute, a less hectic part of Venice and truly worth a visit.  In any case enjoy Venice, a wonderful city.

Golf has never factored into Italy planning in the slightest, there's so much to do there just isn't time!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2005, 12:25:42 AM »
The Perugia Jazz festival is primo, July 7-17th.  Foligno is about 3/4 hour away has reasonably priced accomodations, even a Holiday Inn Express.  Assisi is right there too.

The only golf course I saw in the region was rudimentary at best, west of Lago Trasimeno, near Casteglione del Lago.  

The hill cities and the lake towns are far more intriguing than the golf.  You can get fed anywhere around there good and cheap and get a bottle or three of wine that's pretty good.   ;) 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back