News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam_Jessie

Tribute to Donald Ross.
« on: June 13, 2005, 02:59:31 PM »
The other night I was having dinner with the Doak crew at the Publick House, and we got into a discussion about the open this year, and we were dicussing what is the best Donald Ross course.

Many names came up (Plainfield, Holsten Hills, Pinehurst #2, Essex, White Bear, ect), but I am cerious what every body else has to say.

Adam Jessie
Shinnecock Hills Golf Club

Don Herdrich

Re:Tribute to Donald Ross.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 03:18:57 PM »
I think Winchester and Salem have to be right at the top.......and the renovated Augusta CC is a top ten Ross also!

Dunlop_White

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 05:26:36 PM »
There are more than 400 Donald Ross golf courses. Many of the best I listed below.

Pinehurst No. 2 NC
Seminole G.C. FL
Oakland Hills C.C. (South) MI
Wannamoissett C.C.  RI
Plainfield C.C.  NJ
Oak Hill C.C. (East)  NY
Inverness Club OH
Salem C.C.  Mass.
East Lake C.C.  GA
White Bear Yacht Club MN
Holston Hills C.C. TN
Newport C.C. RI
Scioto C.C. OH
Aronomink G.C. PA
Brookside C.C.  OH
Essex C.C. Mass.
Whippoorwill C.C. NY
Franklin Hills C.C. MI
C.C. of Buffalo NY
Northland C.C. MN
Pine Needles C.C.  NC
Skokie C.C.  Ill.
Wykagyl C.C. NY
Beverly C.C.  Ill.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 05:43:01 PM »
High on my "to see" list is the Essex Co. C. That golf course looks so cool in photos. And the man who maintains it, Pat Kriksceonaitis, is one of the most impressive superintendents I've spoken with.  Pat "gets it".
jeffmingay.com

JMD

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 06:16:16 PM »
I think that any list like this should also include:

The Orchards (South Hadley, MA) and Brae Burn (West Newton, MA).  

Dunlop_White

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 08:37:19 PM »
Jeff,

If you recall, Pat Kriksceonaitis attended the Restoration Conference when we were at Williamsburg. He impressed me as well.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 08:54:32 PM »
Adam

Among those I've seen, Seminole, Wannamoisett and Plainfield stand above the rest.

I like all these more then #2 which I think is unidimentional around the greens.

the next tier would include Aronomink and Siwanoy and below that

Skokie, Beverly, The Orchards, Pine Needles and Mountain Ridge.

All are teriffic courses that I would be happy to play regularly.  A few are truly great.  Almost all defend par very well around the greens.

T_MacWood

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 11:11:30 PM »
There is no doubt Ross produced a bundle of high profile courses (Dunlop's list is good one, and I'd add Canton Brookside, Oyster Harbors, Broadmoor and Mid Pines), but what I think makes Ross so compelling as a designer are his obscure courses in small towns in the boondocks. In Ohio the nines at Lancaster and Tiffin, and the eighteens at Congress Lake, Granville, Springfield, Mansfield and Portsmouth. These are courses you would love to play day in and day out.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 11:12:58 PM by Tom MacWood »

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 11:48:04 PM »
I've played many of the top ones listed. Gems such as Wannamoisett are wonderful for their intimacy, but I would put #2 right at the top because it is so dramatic and expansive. Although I've only played it once, I was struck by the fact that the views walking down the fairways looking back were just as impressive as the views looking forward. I had the same feelings at Oakland Hills.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 12:01:11 AM »
I played Essex County last Wed. in the annual Sherrill Cup, pitting four man teams from 30 eastern Mass. clubs against one another over 18 of medal in the morning and 18 of alternate shot in the afternoon.  All players were raving over the conditions, which even allowed a medal score (from the tips at about 6600 par 70) of 67.

The course, which is to host the Mass. Amateur in mid-July, is playing the best I have ever seen it, the greens have gained speed and smoothness, the fescue is gnarly, and the fairways pristine.  The best amateurs in the state are in for a treat.

The one change I noted from last year to this year, which ties in with the previous compliments to Mr. Kriksceonaitis, is the squaring off of many of the greens at the front, which in some cases is enough area to allow a pin to be cut closer to an edge where it was not possible before.  The old green edges were visible, and in some places it was amazing to see how much area was reclaimed.  Also, trees have been thinned out to the right of the 13th green, which has improved this notoriously inconsistent green to the level of the others.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

mark chalfant

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2005, 12:13:42 AM »
Adam,Ive seen  around 55-60 and I especially like

Brookside
Essex County (Mass)
Franklin Hills
Plainfield
Springfield
Metacomet
Salem
Hyde Park (Ohio)

mark chalfant

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2005, 12:40:09 AM »
Two people who are very familiar with Ross have spoken highly of Longmeadow.

Wykagyl is excellent but two of the best holes there are by
Tillinghast (#4 and #6). I believe Ross did 12-13 holes that
remain and they are all very charming

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005, 09:02:34 AM »
Dunlop,

That's where I had an interesting conversation with Pat, at the hotel bar at Williamsburg. He's a very impressive guy... who posts here occasionally.

The maintenance manifesto Pat helped create at Essex Co. C. is an excellent model for other clubs to follow. It's published in Brad K.'s Ross biography.  

Tom MacWood makes a good point about lesser known Ross courses. Everytime you come across a Congress Lake, Granville, Springfield, Mansfield, Portsmouth, Roseland, or Mark Twain, such courses consistently make for an extremely enjoyable round of golf.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 09:03:24 AM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

michael j fay

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005, 09:20:05 AM »
Add to the list of the courses you could play every day:

Teugega (Rome, NY)
Whitinsville, MA- the best of the old nine holers
Sedgefield in Greensboro- In need of work but the bones are great.
Hendersonville, NC
Athens CC
Wampanoag CC
Dunedin, FL
Skokie,Exmoor and Old Elm in Chicago
Augusta and Penobscot Valley in ME
Charles River, George Wright Muni, Plymouth CC and Wianno in MA
Minikahda in MN
Grosse Ile in MI
The Balsms and Lake Sunapee in NH
CC of Buffalo, Brook Lea, Irondequoit, Monroeand the Sagamore in NYMid Pines, The Wilmington Muni and Southern Pines in NC

This list is incomplete with my apologies to the other great Ross courses out there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back