News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Grandfather Mountain
« on: June 13, 2005, 07:48:02 AM »
I thought this was just a first class course is all respects.

Curious what others who have played it think about it.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

John Shimp

Re:Grandfather Mountain
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 02:26:35 PM »
Only played it once 2 summers ago. Really liked the course as well.  Long from the back tees (>7000yds).  I found it to be a tough driving course -- mountain laurel or creek lined fairway, some sloped landing areas, and a couple of blind tee shots contributed.  Lots of variety to the holes and incredibly well
maintained. Greens are known to be the best in the area and are fast. Ellis Maples' greens are often a lot like some Ross course greens, but on Grandfather I recall reasonably heavy front or near front bunkering which requireda lot of lob wedge play.  Could be I was leaving it in all the wrong spots that day...

E. Maples designed Boone Golf Club 15 miles away which is not in Grandfather's league, but is a very nice muni course.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 05:37:35 PM »
I really like the setting -- just below its namesake, Grandfather Mountain. The course condition is always supurb. Also check out the stone-work. It appears so old and natural. All golf course accessories have been well thought out too. Here, Maples demands pinpoint accuracy from the tees. Unfortunately, however, recovery play does not exist -- either you are in-play or out-of-play in a thicket of vegetation. They had some trouble with creek flooding and erosion recently, but I think all is back under control following the hurricanes.

Mike_Young

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 08:35:08 PM »
IMO, best mountain course in NC.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Dunlop_White

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 08:46:53 PM »
Mike,

Just curious, but have you played Linville or Biltmore Forest? I happen to like them all. Besides, I'm hoping Roaring Gap will soon make the jump. ;)

Lawrence Largent

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 09:18:19 PM »
Grandfather is excellent, but I prefer Linville in the area just a touch more. Biltmore Forest in my opinion is in a league of its own.

Lawrence

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 05:23:02 PM »
The course at Grandfather club is excellent and fun to play, requiring thought and skill.  The routing was very good considering the land.  some Mt courses are way too hilly.  While there are obviously significant elevation changes they are not as severe as they could have been.  I think it is Maples best course.

In addition the entire experience of the club is first rate.  If you go spend the day drinking in the atmosphere.  As I recall The Club could not get a liquor liscence because they were not an incorporated town.  So they incorporated and built a "town Hall" just outside the gate.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

CHC1948

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 05:46:44 PM »
G-father is a wonderful golfing experience and it's quite a nice way to escape the summer heat in North Carolina.  The greens are excellent and I think each holes has great variety but also flows well through out.  The 15th hole is one of my favorites...without any bunkers or length, it really defends itself well.  I believe it's one of those holes that all architects should study as oppose to just moving tees further and further back!  I really enjoy Linville GC as well but would still choose GGCC.

It's 95 degrees in Charlotte today....wouldn't mind heading up there right now!

Mike_Young

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 09:29:14 PM »
Dunlop.
I have played Linville and Biltmore.  I enjoyed both but they are nnot the test that Grandfather is IMO.
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back