News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tiger_Bernhardt

Whistler Canada talk to me
« on: June 13, 2005, 12:55:18 PM »
I played the Chateau Whistler and Nicklaus course in 2001. I do not remember either being more than average. One of my friends will be there in two weeks. What ar ethe better and more scenic courses in the imediate area? Thank you guys

Craig Van Egmond

Re:Whistler Canada talk to me
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 01:54:49 PM »

Tiger,

Your right about them being average courses. I did prefer Nicklaus over Chateau just because the former you could walk and the latter was a mountain goat course.

The other course was Whistler (Palmer/Seay) which was cheaper and not a scenic.

Up the road a piece in Pemberton (sp?)   was a course called Big Sky (Bob Cupp) that was fairly cool.

I haven't been in a few years, so there may be something new.

If I ranked them: Nicklaus, Big Sky, Whistler, Chateau Whistler.

Sean Leary

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 02:52:38 PM »
I would rank them similar, except I would put Big Sky ahead if Nicklaus North.  Chataeu Whistler is very, very difficult for the avarage player, but worth at least one play, if onlt for the scenary.  Maybe as the second 18 of the day while you are having a couple of beers and not totally worried about your score.

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 03:52:51 PM »
I have pretty much the same thoughts as Sean and Craig--although we're not supposed to care about such things, right, I will say that Chateau Whistler was one of the most visually stunning mountain layouts I have ever played.  The wildflowers, the tips of snow late-season on the mountain backdrops, the Alps-like peek at some of Whistler-Blackcomb village from some spots--really quite dramatic, and I think makes it worth the play when in the area.

I think, however, that the better player would likely get more kick out of Big Sky (30 minutes or so away) and Nicklaus-North, from a player's standpoint.

Don't make the rookie mistake of Furry Creek, although it's hard not to gasp when you pass the hole on the highway...

One other thought---your friend should consider playing in Vancouver, at Capilano, Shaughnessey, etc., as I think most would greatly favor those (among others in Vancouver) for quality over the Whistler courses...

Peter

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 04:43:40 PM »
I thought Chateau Whistler was the best course by far...I guess that's what makes horse races
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 06:01:30 PM »
John, I agree with Peter.  I can't imagine any of the Whistler courses being anything like the Capilano experience.  I was able to gain access by having my general manager email their general manager.

And Furry Creek was the worse course I've played since can't remember when.  That is a course which should never have been built.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 06:02:25 PM by Bill_McBride »

Sean Leary

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 06:08:10 PM »
Furry Creek is really awful.

Vancouver CC is a pretty good course as well.  

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 03:27:20 AM »
Capilano was excellent, a real treat.

If you get to VIctoria, play Bear Nountain
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back