News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Mike Strantz Has Passed Away
« on: June 10, 2005, 10:49:17 PM »
Mike Strantz passed away at his home on Friday. Following is a link to his obituary: http://www.mikestrantzdesign.com/clubhouse.html

My prayers go out to his family.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 11:16:18 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

TEPaul

Re:Mike Strantz Passed Away Today
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 10:55:20 PM »
Oh Man, I'm so sorry to hear that. I never met Michael Strantz but we were down at the course he lived on not more that a couple of months ago and the reports from his friends and acquaintenances down there about his condition and health seemed so hopeful. I don't really know why but I sensed what they were sayng was just hope---nothing more.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 11:03:23 PM »
Mike

Thanks for posting this very sad news.

My heart goes out to Mike's family, friends and co-workers.  I really hate that disease.  I work on the form of cancer that Mike could not quite beat and it is a nasty cancer that seems to come back all too frequently.  There is hope on the horizon due to genomics if funding for the National Institutes of Health and the National Cancer Institutes is given the priority it deserves.

May all my friends enjoy and be thankful for their health.

Mike Strantz has left behind some enduring work that I hope we all enjoy.

Brad Klein

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 11:03:48 PM »
That is so sad. I played Caledonia with him in 1996; he was a big, hulking guy, brilliant, serious, visionary. What a loss of talent, and I feel the worst for his family.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 11:07:14 PM »
Sad...sad. What a brilliant and talented man.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Kevin_Reilly

Re:Mike Strantz Has Passed Away
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 11:34:51 PM »
RIP, and condolences to his family and friends.

:'(
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 12:09:10 AM »
Michael Strantz created a particularly beautiful course for us here at MPCC. When I play it I think I am closer to heaven than I could possibly be. He was a genius and an artist.

My thoughts and condolences go to his beautiful wife and I cherish the few moments that I spent with him.

He was a giant of a man and shall be emembered.

Michael Goody

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 03:05:55 AM »
I would like to offer my deepest condolences and heartfelt prayers to Mike's family and friends.

I have not had the pleasure of playing or viewing (in person) any of his courses, but will endeavor to do so as soon as possible to honor this great artist's talent and vision.

wsmorrison

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2005, 05:39:03 AM »
I am sorry to hear this news.  May he rest in peace and may his family find peace as well.

Sébastien Dhaussy

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2005, 05:56:03 AM »
I was just reading yesterday Golf Magazine article (May issue, I think) on Mike. And this morning, when I connect to GCA, I first see the post ... it was hard.

Sad news. I would like to offer my condolences to his family, friends and co-workers.
"It's for everyone to choose his own path to glory - or perdition" Ben CRENSHAW

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2005, 07:14:54 AM »
So so sad :'(
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Joe Hancock

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2005, 07:34:27 AM »
A very real reminder that our life's work here on earth is fleeting. My condolences to his family and friends.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2005, 08:32:24 AM »
A very sad way to start a Saturday morning.  A great loss to his family first of all, of course, and to the golf world as well.

To those of you who have not played his golf courses, do it as soon as you can.  He was an artist of the first magnitude.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Brian Phillips

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2005, 09:32:05 AM »
A very sad loss.

I hope he and MacKenzie have some good times designing together upstairs...

Brian

Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2005, 09:32:11 AM »
A year ago, I had only a vague notion of who Mike Strantz was. In the spring, I played Royal New Kent and Stonehouse in Virginia, and Mike immediately became one of my all-time favorite architects. While I enjoy all types of design styles, it is rare that I step onto a course and feel like I am seeing something completely new and different. That is how I felt at RNK, and I had a smile on my face each time the next hole opened up in front of me as I tried to figure out what crazy form of intimidation Mike was going to throw at me next. What an incredibly talented, visionary architect.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2005, 09:43:08 AM »
This is a tough one on me. Heck, I never met Mike but when I played Tobacco Road in December of 1998 it's probably the best thing that ever happened to my golf architecture learning. It was so radically different than anything I had ever seen. In fact, doing more research on that course eventually led me to GCA.

I have also played his Caledonia in Myrtle Beach and again it was another treat.

Just reading his obiturary, I felt I got to know him. He will certainly be remembered as a golf course architect long after we are all here. His designs, while limited, will be held in high regard for a long time. I hope he is working on his first design "upstairs" with Dr. MacKenzie right now!!

My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and design team.

Would it be approriate if we could somehow get one person to gather money from posters to make one large contribution to the Memorial Fund on behalf of golfclubatlas??

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2005, 11:40:02 AM »
A very sad loss indeed for all of us who love his work and the major contributions to the industry. I give my condolences to his wife and family.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2005, 11:49:07 AM »

How horrible. I feel for his family and friends. A terrible loss to golf architecture and mankind.

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2005, 01:27:57 PM »
Until I read this thread I did not realize that he was the designer of Stonehouse in Virginia. I had the opportunity to play it in 1997 and truly enjoyed it. What stayed with me was how he incorporated many of the large specimen trees on the site into the design to help frame a target -- or in some cases, just to make a hole look good. A wonderful job. My condolences.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 01:28:16 PM by Greg Beaulieu »

T_MacWood

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2005, 01:36:40 PM »
Very sad...a great loss. Thankfully his fine work will live on.

George Pazin

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2005, 03:59:16 PM »
My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family. His impact on many lives will be long remembered.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

JDoyle

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2005, 04:19:36 PM »
I played Bulls Bay this morning.  On the turn I noticed the flag was at half mast and I felt a pit in my stomach.  Inside the clubhouse the staff confirmed my fears and told us the news.  I never met Mike, but after playing his courses many times I feel I understand a little about his soul, his charater and his point of view on golf.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family - especially his wife.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2005, 05:12:29 PM »
I regret not having met Mike, but I feel that I knew him through his beautiful and creative work at Tobacco Road and Monterey Peninsula Club's Shore Course.

I had the fortune to play Monterey Peninsula Club with Forrest Fezler a few months ago — whenever Forrest spoke of Mike there was a genuine respect...and more than one smile. I could tell that both men had a great influence on one another. There may be no greater tribute to one's life than the sharing of ideas between people and what this process leaves behind when we are gone.

As with the posts above and below, my thoughts are with Mike's family as they make their way through this natural — but tough — part of their lives.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 05:14:41 PM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

paul cowley

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2005, 06:26:56 PM »
....well said Forrest and I share your regret.
  My condolences to Mike's family and friends.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 06:27:49 PM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2005, 06:29:26 PM »
This is very sad and we shall all miss a very talented and wonderful man.  It is fortunate for all of us that he has left us such wonderful continuing memories of him in the wonderful courses which he created.  I only hope that future generations will continue to recognize his genius.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back