News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Patrick_Mucci

Climbing the walls
« on: June 10, 2005, 05:49:36 PM »
On elevated greens, does the steepness of the banks strongly influence play to those greens ?

Are sharp edges and steep banks intimidating visual, psychological and playability features for the average, good and poor golfer ?

Forrest Richardson

Re:Climbing the walls
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 05:18:03 PM »
A wall establishes an "either-or" situation. I believe that, in itself, attributes a heightened sense of trouble for any golfer.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Kyle Harris

Re:Climbing the walls
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 05:33:43 PM »
Knowing is half the intimidation, on the White Course at PSU, the golfer is given some clue of the steep banks on the greens agead of time.

On the walk from the sixth green to the seventh tee, the golfer has to pass the ninth.

Here is the view from the Seventh Tee, taken from my course profile under "My Home Course"

Two holes later, the image of the severe drop off is in the golfers' head, and even though he has no more than a wedge in his hands, he is more liable to leave it short than long, left or right.

I do feel that the banks on this course would be more effective if cut to a lower length. At their present length, they tend to grab balls instead of further propel them.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back