News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Arizona CC, Phoenix, AZ
« on: June 09, 2005, 08:03:49 AM »
Anyone ever play here? Located in downtown Phoenix, it hosted the Phoenix Open 10 times from 1955-73.

Arizona CC gets $15 mil renovation

John Davis
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 9, 2005 12:00 AM

Arizona Country Club, one of the Valley's most historic golf courses and a former site of the Phoenix Open, is undergoing a $15 million renovation project that has closed the course for the summer.

The changes include rebuilding the clubhouse and its facilities, installing a new irrigation system, refurbishing bunkers and reinforcing lake walls.

The course is scheduled to reopen around Nov. 1. Clubhouse renovation will start in January and is scheduled for completion in October 2006. ...

Here is the full article:

www.azcentral.com/sports/golf/articles/0609golfnotes0609.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:Arizona CC, Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 08:14:53 AM »
Here is the club's website with photos:

www.azcountryclub.com

Who is the architect?
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Brad Klein

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 08:27:43 AM »
Not quite downtown Phoenix - more like on the eastern edge, seven miles away from downtown and only about a mile from historic downtown Scottsdale, actually.

The course was part of the old 9-hole Ingleside GC (1909), then expanded into 18 holes in 1946, designed and built by Ernest Suggs and Wille Wansa. Grow-in superintendent was Jay Woodward, who fifteen years later along with ACC's pro Stan Graff left the club to start work on Desert Forest GC.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 09:02:46 AM by Brad Klein »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 08:58:55 AM »
Brad

I always confuse Phoenix CC with Arizona CC. PCC is in what I call downtown Phoenix. ACC is in the Arcadia area of Phoenix.

Steve

EAF

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 01:16:16 PM »
I caddied there from 1973 to 1975. I learned a lot about golf by being the regular caddy for the ACC club champion. I recall playing 36 holes or more on Mondays during the summer heat. It was soooo.. hot! I'm sure the renovation would be needed by now.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 01:16:41 PM by EAF »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back