News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Lawrence Largent

They were asking players about the course and they were all raving about it. Vijay Singh said why can't these guys design courses like this today. Davis Love said he would never drive buy Congressional to play the TPC up the street. Its amazing when they play the older style course the pros seem to show up.

Lawrence

Mike Benham

Re:Professionals comments about Congressional on The Golf Channel
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 08:00:19 PM »
Vijay Singh said why can't these guys design courses like this today.

Since Vijay is now a designer himself, is he talking about himself?

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Bill Gayne

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 09:19:53 PM »
On Comcast's Sports Rise show this morning, Fred Funk said that Congressional was better than Augusta National and Riviera.

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 11:46:24 PM »
I  attended the practice round, yesterday, and besides it being HOT  :P there was a lot to see.  

As a note, on #13, Vijay almost holed his approach, from about 175 or so--the ball literally hit the side of the cup.  

Sergio went for #9 in two, and didn't quite make it--ball hit in that tongue of fairway before the green, and rolled back maybe 5 yards.  

Interesting to observe the players practice routines--putting and chipping to various hole locations on the greens, etc.  

The new practice area is something to see.  

In talking to a few of the assistant pros, the new #10 hole will play to a green site roughly directly down the hill from the current #18 tees--the tee will be near the stop and go (snack bar), and will play, from the tips, approximately 240, all carry, over water.  

I do hope the member tees are shorter, yardage wise.  

The course is going to play tough--about 2 inches of rain fell Monday night, and they didn't cut the rough on Tuesday.  Not sure if they were going to today, best guess is no.  

I played the course every possible week last year--about 20 times, and balls that find the rough there have a tendency to "sink" into the rough, even when dry.  Balls don't sit up.  

The pros were throwing darts yesterday, but I think, given 2 days of hot weather, the course will dry out a little bit come the weekend.  The greens here aren't particularly sloped, 13 is an exception, but they will be running quick.  

The pros' reactions have been very favorable--it is a good course, a good test of golf.  A little too straight for my taste (only 2 holes have significant doglegs)
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back