News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Dan Kelly

Re:Toms giving "it" to a fan.
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2005, 02:18:37 PM »
this from the Columbus Dispatch

Asked whether he’d offered a "subtle salute" to the fan, Toms asked for clarification.

When the clarification was given, Toms said, "What kind of question is that? Do I look like someone who’d flip someone off in the crowd? I mean, I can’t believe I’m even talking to you."

A class act would admit to having done what he did, in fact, do.

"I can't believe I'm even talking to you"? Sheesh. There's a class act for you.

I wish he'd have said, more or less, what the defendant said to the judge in an old New Yorker cartoon: "Well, sure I killed the guy. What's that -- a crime?"

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2005, 02:23:02 PM »

Not a classy act in any shape or form.  Golf is supposed to be a gentlemans game.

I'm sure his parents and children are proud.  

Brent Hutto

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2005, 02:30:28 PM »
Maybe the universe concedes a golfer one instance of acting like an arse in public for every major championship win. If so, David Toms is all square going to the back nine.

By contrast, John Daly is five down and just about out of holes.

Tiger Woods has really had a back-and-forth match so far by this standard. He keeps racking up the wins and his caddie gives them right back.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2005, 02:45:15 PM »
My respect for Toms has been diminished, and that's what should concern him. Obviously, I'm not alone in feeling that way.

As Rushin's column points out (man, there's been a lot more birds throughout sports history than I was aware of), athletes lose their cool and make mistakes. It happens, and it is almost always forgiven, because we're all human.

But to do it in a sneaky way -- to preserve "plausible deniability" -- and then to lie about it afterward, is the behavior of a coward.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2005, 03:14:35 PM »
Wow my innocent little question while watching the golf has generated some interest.  I logged off shortly after posting that and just got back here.

Ironically enough my wife is friends with some of David Toms family and we almost feel as though we have gotten to know him a little bit.  He has always seemed like such a good guy, I was really surprised to see it.  I too think you can chalk it up to competative fire and that right when things were starting to fall apart for Toms yesterday this guy piles on at the right moment.  I guess we are all human even those guys out on tour and David probably in hindsite made a dumb decision, but at the time I am sure his judgement was slightly clouded.

Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

jeffwarne

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2005, 07:14:41 PM »
looked to me like his nose was itching

David Toms is a class act.

and if you were in contention(as Toms clarified) to win a U.S. Open choosing to leave would not be as easy a decision as many make it out to be.Toms just has the guts to give the politically incorrect answer.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike_Golden

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2005, 07:30:36 PM »
In 1966 I went to Yankee Stadium to see a Yankees-Red Sox game with 3 college friends, two of whom were Sox fans.  In stark contrast to today, Yankee Stadium had about 3000 people in attendance (it was a Wednesday afternoon game, early in the season, and the Yankees were over the hill and destined for the cellar that year.

Roger Maris, a shadow of his 61 in 61 season, was playing right field for the Yankees and my two friends rode him unmercifully for 8 1/2 innings.  We were sitting down the right field line and the stadium was so empty you could here everything.

I don't remember the exact score but the Sox were comfortably ahead, and after they went out in the top of the 9th Roger, on his way back to the dugout, held up his glove and gave my friends the middle finger salute.  Which of course just made all of us laugh hysterically and provided a lifetime's memory.  

I didn't see the Toms incident on TV but it seems like the fan deserved what he got and probably has more respect for Toms 'lowering' himself to his level.  So what's the big deal?

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2005, 07:40:21 PM »
Mike -- So why doesn't he just admit he did it, instead of telling the reporter off for asking him about it?
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Dan Kelly

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2005, 07:49:05 PM »
and if you were in contention(as Toms clarified) to win a U.S. Open choosing to leave would not be as easy a decision as many make it out to be.Toms just has the guts to give the politically incorrect answer.

Huh?

Mike_Golden

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2005, 07:58:41 PM »
Rick,

I have to agree with you on that one

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2005, 12:44:29 PM »
Update:  no fine.

No fine for Toms
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

JESII

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2005, 01:15:47 PM »

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2005, 04:29:16 PM »
Year ago, Stan Love, a Laker reserve, showed me a an 8 X 10 b & w glossy of Milwaukee's Kareem Abdul Jabbar on the court giving a referee the double salute, both hands at the same time.  Now there are so long fingers.  So many times I wished I had obtained a copy of it.  Just think what it would get today on e-bay.
It's best John Wooden doesn't ever see the picture.  Just as its best he doesn't know one of his former stars has come out of the closet.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

THuckaby2

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2005, 05:15:16 PM »
Dammit Lynn, first the stuff about the Golf Channel babe, now this... you know a lot of secrets that are screaming out to be told.

OK, you have to at least give us a little narrowing of the era - Wooden coached a LONG time and has a lot of former stars.  I don't want to start guessing.

;)

Dan Kelly

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2005, 05:22:13 PM »
Dammit Lynn, first the stuff about the Golf Channel babe, now this... you know a lot of secrets that are screaming out to be told.

Tom IV --

The man said he "came out." Thus, it's no secret.

Besides, I thought everyone knew this story.

Dan

P.S. It's not Lynn -- so far as I know.

Norbert P

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2005, 05:30:44 PM »
 ...and who could ever forget Grampa Stamper's arm (Henry Fonda), lashed to the mast of a log-herding tugboat, defiantly posed with erect middle finger to the angry townsfolk in Ken Kesey's "Sometimes A Great Notion" ?(aka "Never Give an Inch")?
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

THuckaby2

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2005, 05:33:55 PM »
Dan - perhaps it's no secret to you, and it's surely no secret to the man's friends, but it sure as hell is a secret to me, a former worshipper of all things Bruin hoops, during those Wooden years... and apparently it remains a secret to Wooden...

Not that this worship will decrease in any way... but well... I am curious.

TH

John Keenan

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2005, 06:06:22 PM »
Make that two who want to know

And while I am at it how did Ms Mills get her job?
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2005, 07:58:33 PM »
I should have never mentioned these gossip items.

I think Jennifer Mills is very good at what she does and obviously so does Arnold Palmer, one of the Golf Channel owners.

As for the other, the Bruin hoopster played in the NBA and every year of his pro career his scoring average dropped.

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back