News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

The traditional golf gathering photo profile...
« on: May 07, 2005, 03:44:28 PM »
What would a gathering of golf friends from our little discussion site  be without a photo like this?  Paul Hermsmeyer searching for one of the rare balls that he might stray drive slightly off a fairway, even in 40MPH gusts...

These photos courtesy of Gary Kurth.
Me from the left FW with a second shot to the par 5 thumble down the draw first hole, bracing against the elements.

the 9th par 3, which we played from a forward tee at 158 yards dead into a wind that my playing partner the first day hit driver to and came up short, whilst I tried the stinger 3 iron that was properly hit yet came up similarly short.

the par 3, 13th, which I have now played 8 times and have not hit the green yet, although once-so close. ::)

from the 2nd shot left side of 16 fairway to that par 5, with Graham Marsh's mound guarding the rights side of the green approach.

finally, the view above the 16th green on the way to 17tee

my chapped lips are just starting to mend from exposure to the two days of wind.  But I'd have to say that after those two days, I felt very alive and refreshed...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 03:50:10 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tyler Kearns

Re:The traditional golf gathering photo profile...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 03:49:50 PM »
RJ,

Looks like a real survival test, you boys demonstrated some real courage & bravery, and proved to everybody that you are true golf nuts!!

*note: the last two pictures are of #15, not #16, with the latter on the journey from 17 green to 18 tee.

TK

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 03:52:45 PM »
Ty, indeed you are correct sir.  I plead frozen brain cells... ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Gary_K

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 04:03:39 PM »
I apologize Richard, I didn't mean to include you in the 'yucca butt' photo.  I see you are off in the horizon.  :) :)  Gotta love that wind!

Gary K.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 04:17:27 PM »
Here is an angle into the skylined 16th from the left side...

and from the path on the way to 17tee

and the tucked into the hillside par 3 17th from which Graham Marsh did a playing tips from the pros on TGC

and 18tee

that's all folks...

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 05:31:49 PM »
Great Picture Paul. I hardly recognized ya.
Dick, I know it's likely the dormancy of the turf, but could you describe the soil make-up at Sutton Bay? Is it rocky with a little clay?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 06:38:17 PM »
Adam, not clayey.  It is a sort of glacial till comprised of friable sandy or grainy soil, heavily interspersed with hard scrabble mostly rounded rock.  I'd have to research the historic geology of the area along what is termed the Missouri Breaks.  It seems like it is the wash out of either melting glaciers that drained along the Missouri water way, or from a big event blow out of super volcano up in Yellowstone 'a few years ago'  ;) ;D

The breaks of the river way extend perhaps 1/2-1 mile or so from the river in broken bluffs above the river, then flatten out to ag land and grazing land of a flat nature that doesn't appear to have the interspersed rock.  So the rock seems at a certain depth below the top land area.

Gary_K

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 12:03:44 AM »
For those that haven't been to Sutton Bay, the last photo from the 18th tee shows the clubhouse and cabins off in the distance on the rim of the river basin.  Between the 18th hole and the clubhouse is a driving range and a par 3 course tucked in the rolling hills.  The 1st tee is about 1.5 miles from the clubhouse.

Gary K.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back