News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim_Weiman

A Golf Course Project In An Unlikely Place
« on: May 07, 2005, 11:23:48 AM »
Over the years I've tried to economize when it comes to golf adventures whenever possible. If a business trip took me somewhere near a place a wanted to visit, by all means take advantage I thought. It just might be my only opportunity.

But, yesterday something truly unexpected happened. A business trip took me to Bayonne, NJ to visit IMTT's big oil and chemical storage terminal in New York Harbor.

While giving me the nickel tour, my IMTT host suddenly said:

"and over there is where we are building a golf course....."

My God, right in the middle of an oil terminal.....I thought it was a joke.

But, apparently not.......the 50-100 foot.......sand.....no dirt hills clearly showed a golf course project was underway.

Does anyone know the story behind this project?
Tim Weiman

SPDB

Re:A Golf Course Project In An Unlikely Place
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 11:43:50 AM »
Tim - You saw either Bayonne GC, or (more likely) Liberty National. Both have been discussed extensively on here. Bayonne is a Bergstol designed and developed project, while Liberty Nat'l is developed by Paul Fireman (Reebok) and designed by Cupp (and Kite).

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 11:45:27 AM »
Tim:

Go to the Search feature of this forum and type in Bayonne.

You'll find plenty of discussion.

5 miles north of Bayonne Golf Club (in Jersey City) Dave Barry and Reebok's Fireman are building Liberty National which costs $130 million.

These are both unlikely places, but the common denominator is proximity to Manhattan.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 11:53:36 AM by Voytek Wilczak »

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 12:25:39 PM »
Tim, Honestly you shouldn't be so shocked. The El Paso Gaso company built a course here for it's employees back in the fifties and don't think it was ground breaking. They have  workers who need recreation, golf seems to be the sport of choice and when the boss does visit the field he can tee it up too. Almost a no brainer if you're an oil exec.

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 07:20:03 PM »
Tim, Honestly you shouldn't be so shocked. The El Paso Gaso company built a course here for it's employees back in the fifties and don't think it was ground breaking. They have  workers who need recreation, golf seems to be the sport of choice and when the boss does visit the field he can tee it up too. Almost a no brainer if you're an oil exec.

Bayonne and Liberty National are a bit different, in that it costs $100K to join Bayonne and $500K to join Liberty National.

Hardly employee recreation stuff.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 10:50:48 PM »
The project I got a brief glimpse of was definitely Bayonne Golf Club.

Has anyone actually walked the property?
Tim Weiman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back