News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

It is odd that I criticize Chicagoland GCA, yet recall fondly that most of the core principles exist in some of the oddest places.

Holes like the 4th, 7th, 9th, 11th & 12th at Jackson Park. Or the 3-8 stretch at Waveland. (Please note; I left off the 2nd hole, site of my first eagle from 145 yds. ty) All had (I sure hope they haven't been American golfified) features similar to, but not the conditions of, some of the best in the game.

Adam,

I don't think that's unusual at all.  

In fact, I find that many of the older munis and public venues have some sterling architecture, albeit without the conditioning or "ambiance" that finer private clubs often enjoy.

If he were still on this site, Geoffrey Childs would happily tell you about Split Rock GC in the Bronx, and Mount Pleasant in Baltimore is an architectural feast that Kye Goalby raved about a few years back, and Bonneville GC in Salt Lake City, with the first nine built by Willie Tucker Jr. in the 20s is wonderfully lay of the land stuff that plays great.  North Fulton near Atlanta is a restorationists wet dream...

There a many more examples and I think that too many of us neglect a course just because it isn't shined up and pretty and famous and exclusive.  If it's pure architecture we're talking about, most of the older cities in this country have wonderful examples.

james soper

played 40 out of 50. the majority of my rounds are played at the biltmore(ross), followed by doral blue(wilson/floyd/mclean), crandon park(devlin/von hagge), deering bay(palmer), riviera(ross), la gorce(rtj/nicklaus), and palmetto(wilson). have the opportunity to play indian creek(flynn), but have not followed up with the member. i hope to play there next season.

Jeff Shelman

Meant to do this exercise the other day, but just getting to it now. There are 136 courses listed within 25 miles of my suburban Minneapolis home. If you take out the multiple listings for 27 holes, there are about 120 or so. I was surprised that I've only played 50 of them.

I am seven of nine in the courses near my childhood home (the two I haven't played were built since I left for college).

Tim_Cronin

It is odd that I criticize Chicagoland GCA, yet recall fondly that most of the core principles exist in some of the oddest places.

Holes like the 4th, 7th, 9th, 11th & 12th at Jackson Park. Or the 3-8 stretch at Waveland. (Please note; I left off the 2nd hole, site of my first eagle from 145 yds. ty) All had (I sure hope they haven't been American golfified) features similar to, but not the conditions of, some of the best in the game.

One more from Chicagoland:
The ninth (home) hole at the Zigfield Troy Golf Range and Par-3 (that's the official title) on 75th Street in Woodridge, Ill., is one of the finer Redan holes you'll find, including the version at Chicago GC. Shorter than the original Redan, but a gem.
Ziggy, long gone from the scene (his sons, Dennis and Tim Troy, run the operation), was so much a traditionalist, the flag of St. Andrews flew above his course along with the Stars and Stripes. It does to this day.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Brad Tufts

Within 25 Miles of Marblehead, MA, I have played 36 of 81 (44%).

I am fortunate that this list includes such courses as Salem CC, Myopia HC, The Country Club of Brookline, Essex County Club, and Winchester CC.

I am unfortunate that it includes such anti-classics as Bradford CC (woods, wetlands, bugs, lack of grass), Cedar (Seedless) Glen in Saugus, Kelley Greens in Nahant (used to be Tony Conigliaro's), and Cape Ann GC in Essex (although a scenic favorite of Mr. John Updike).

Also, the Boston area is blessed with several interesting muni courses, inlcuding George Wright (Ross), Franklin Park (one of the first daily fee courses in the U.S., redesigned by Ross), Newton Commonwealth (Ross), and Gannon Muni in Lynn (W. Stiles).  All of these venues lack in conditioning, but it serves some of them to really penalize a wayward shot with classic New England hazards, such as old-growth trees and rock outcroppings.

--Brad
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 04:17:16 PM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back