News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_DeVries

GCA Outing at Greywalls?
« on: May 03, 2005, 11:57:34 PM »
Mike

I would love to make the trip. Maybe someone will arrange an outing. A great day of golf.... 18 at Greywalls and a Langford nine next door for desert.

Mike and all GCAers,

I am headed to Marquette on Sunday for a couple of days.  Is there an interest in arranging a GCA outing there this year?  Maybe early September -- beautiful time of year, the course will be more mature, and the summer crowd will be gone.  That could also allow for arrangements to be made well in advance.  Maybe July is doable sometime also, but a pretty busy time of year and shorter notice for people.  What would everyone's preferences be?

Let me know.

Mike

PThomas

Re:GCA Outing at Greywalls?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 12:00:00 AM »
Mike -- I would definitely try to do, esp if I could share the ride...I would try to make either date work!

thanks
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 12:04:28 AM »
Mike,

Yes, there is interest! I can't imagine it would be too hard to round up some troops for a visit - the photos that have been posted so far depict an exciting course on unique terrain. The fall would definitely be the preferable time - quieter, cooler and the changing colours of autumn.

TK
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 12:06:03 AM by Tyler Kearns »

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 12:11:48 AM »
Mike -- I would definitely try to do, esp if I could share the ride...I would try to make either date work!

thanks

Paul,

How did you get that to post exactly at midnight?!?!?   :o ;D 8)

Mike

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 12:15:37 AM »
Mike -- something along the lines of "even a blind squirrel gets a nut sometimes" ;)

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 07:11:15 AM »
My wife and I are headed up there approx. Sept 8 and 9th
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

ed_getka

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 12:11:37 PM »
Mike,
  I would love to go, but unfortunately my golf travels are already booked for the year, and in the interest of marital harmony two trips in one month wouldn't be a good idea. Next year Greywalls and Lawsonia will be my first trip of the year.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Brad Swanson

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 12:33:18 PM »
Mike,
   If this event can be held on a weekend in September, I am very interested in attending.  Do you know what the drive time from Madison, WI to Marquette is by any chance?

Cheers,
Brad Swanson

George Pazin

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 12:38:40 PM »
Brad -

If you go to Greywalls website, they have a map with directions. I think I recall it being 6-7 hours from either Milwaukee or Detroit.

http://www.marquettegolfclub.com/
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 12:38:58 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jfaspen

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 12:49:46 PM »
If it is on a weekend in September I am definitly interested!

Also intend to see the mines sometime in september as well!

Jeff
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 12:54:56 PM by Jeffrey Formanczyk »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 03:17:06 PM »
Ed:

Martial harmony or just chicken shit? 8)
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Steve_Roths

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005, 03:55:31 PM »
I am not familiar with the area.  What else is there around that area to play if we were going to head that way?

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 04:21:45 PM »
Mike,

I could easily get up there for a weekend or perhaps even a week.  Just not labor day weekend.  My wife would probably love to get up there and catch up with family and friends.  

The Lake City/Cadillac area is just south of Kingsley and about and hour from Crystal Downs.

According to Yahoo, that is about 6 hours from Marquette.  That can't be right.  It's about 2 hours north of Detroit.  

But I was thinking about making some trips up to play the Mines, Angels Crossing and U of M this year anyway.    

David Wigler

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 04:22:24 PM »
Mike,

I had a tee time at Pilgrim's Run monday to sneak check up on some of your work and got snowed out.  When does the snow hit Marquette?
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Steve_Roths

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2005, 04:30:18 PM »
I am confused.  Is Kingsley/Crystal only an hour away from Greywalls?  That would be a great combo to play if they are close enough.

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2005, 04:41:44 PM »
There seems to be some interest in a fall outing / event.  I would like to propose a date and get some better numbers, so we could set a date with the club.

How about the weekend of Sept. 10-11?  Is this good or bad since Labor Day is the previous Monday?  Should this be combined with a visit to Lawsonia or another venue?  How about a match format, pitting Midwest GCAers against other regions of the country / world?

Possible Schedule
Sat., Sept. 10:
   1. Possible walk-around with the group to ask questions/ general tour
   2. Play Greywalls
          Possible 2nd play or play Heritage course
   3. Dinner, presentation, and discussions

Sun., Sept. 11
   1. Play Greywalls or Heritage

Very good possibility that each foursome could have a member in their group to play and lead around the course(s).

Marquette is accessible via air, direct from Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, or Minneapolis/St. Paul and 20 min. from the airport.

Drivetimes (in hours):
Detroit - 7
Chicago - 6
Milwaukee - 5
Minneapolis - 6
Duluth - 4-4.5
Kohler/Lawsonia - 4
Green Bay - 3
Mackinac Bridge - 3

I would like to get some rough numbers and discuss this with the club/pro when I am there on Mon. and Tues., so if you think you are definitely in for these dates, please respond here or via regular e-mail.

I know this will be a great gathering.

Mike

PThomas

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2005, 06:38:32 PM »
mmmm, my anniversary is the 9th...but if I bring the little lady along...I will inquire tonite and report back manana

Jfaspen

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2005, 08:30:54 PM »
Mike, I could tenativly commit to that schedule.  What type of lodging is available near Greywalls?

Mike McGuire

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2005, 08:59:21 PM »
Mike D.

Count me in as likely. The midwest vs. the world doesnt sound like a fair fight but we'll take our chances.

If there any hickory players out there....perhaps an event at the Langford nine at the Heritage? I know of a gent who can supply clubs for the hickory curious.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2005, 11:29:37 PM »
Any lodging in the city of Marquette is within about five minutes of Marquette Golf Club.  The best by far is The Landmark Inn:

http://www.thelandmarkinn.com/

And Paul, definitely bring the lady along, there is plenty for her to do if she's not at all interested in golf.  Marquette is home to some of the most beautiful land you'll ever see, yet we still have the modern attractions in shopping, dining, and entertainment.

Chris, Cadillac/Lake City is about five hours from Marquette.

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2005, 11:44:07 PM »
I am confused.  Is Kingsley/Crystal only an hour away from Greywalls?  That would be a great combo to play if they are close enough.

Steve,

Kingsley and Crystal Downs (about 45 minutes apart from each other) are in the NW Lower peninsula, near Traverse City (5 hours to Marquette).

Mike

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2005, 11:48:15 PM »
Mike,

I had a tee time at Pilgrim's Run monday to sneak check up on some of your work and got snowed out.  When does the snow hit Marquette?

David,

Snow, they don't get no stinking snow!  I am sure with the past cold snap, there were some flakes this last week -- I saw a few yesterday in TC!  September is beautiful in Marquette and October will have some great weather and the best color in early October, but will also have its bad days.  Snow that stays is probably in November, though.

Too bad about Pilgrim's -- let me know the next time you get that way and I will show you the Mines.

Mike

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2005, 11:59:04 PM »
Any lodging in the city of Marquette is within about five minutes of Marquette Golf Club.  The best by far is The Landmark Inn:

http://www.thelandmarkinn.com/

And Paul, definitely bring the lady along, there is plenty for her to do if she's not at all interested in golf.  Marquette is home to some of the most beautiful land you'll ever see, yet we still have the modern attractions in shopping, dining, and entertainment.

Chris, Cadillac/Lake City is about five hours from Marquette.

Paul,

All the major hotel chains are right there -- Holiday Inn, Days Inn, etc.  The Landmark is the old hotel downtown and very nice.

Brian,

Where is the lighthouse/B&B?  At Big Bay?  I think it is an hour north of Marquette or so, but maybe that romance will get you in, Paul! ;D

Mike

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2005, 12:00:43 AM »
can I ask a dumb question:  how is it 3 hours from Green Bay?  Do you take a ferry over or something?  How long does that take?

Straight north from Green Bay to Marquette -- you don't cross any water on the west side of the bay, besides the Fox River.

PThomas

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2005, 03:37:52 PM »
I have discussed with the little lady and that weekend would work for us

and I probably need all the help I can get in the romance department Mike!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back