News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

Re:It's days like this...
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2005, 02:16:37 PM »
and the Polish contingent continues to swell!!

But Steve, you hate pierogies?!?!? ???   even my three girls like them...

not sure where you reside, but maybe you just can't get a decent pierogi there....come to Chicago, we'll fatten you up with lots of unhealthy foods !
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2005, 02:59:58 PM »

I am surprised that you are unable to differentiate between calling someone a name and describing his role.
Sometimes, it's the same thing.
It depends upon the context, which may differ between the writer and the reader, or, perhaps not.

What I don't understand is:  If there's so much objection to his threads, why do they have so many hits and responses ?

Is it what David Suskind alluded to ?  
That there are no bad shows, only bad audiences ?

If a tree falls in a forest .........

[/color]

Dan Kelly

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2005, 03:13:35 PM »
Patrick --

Michael Moore is capable of correcting me if I'm wrong, but I do believe that he intended no disrespect to JakaB when he affixed the "jester" label to him.

On the contrary! I believe that Mr. Moore intended "jester" as a label of praise -- possibly not the highest possible praise, but praise nonetheless.

His disrespect is reserved, I believe, for those who are incapable of appreciating the jester's virtues, even as the jester pisses them off (often quite needlessly).

Am I right, Michael Moore?

Dan
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 04:24:09 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2005, 03:17:10 PM »
Wouldn't the ultimate Polish joke be that we're all on this website, see...and we all think the level of discourse and intelligence on here is fairly high-brow, and we pontificate and theorize and use five-syllable words, and we're all very proud and full of ourselves, and then one day a seemingly meaningless side discussion takes place where someone mentions they're Polish, resulting in a domino effect where every other single member of the GCA discussion group weighs in one after the other that they are Polish, as well.

And the whole time prior, the rest of the outside world has been looking in on GCA and laughing their heads off... ;D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 03:22:23 PM by Mike_Cirba »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2005, 03:23:15 PM »
Dan Kellly,

One of the problems with the internet is determining the context in which words are communicated.

There is no medium for tones, expressions or other defining perameters.

So intent and interpretation are often at odds.

You say potato and I say tomato. ;D

Who's to say which of us, with absolute certainty, can state what Michael Moore meant ?  I can't, I can only go by how I interpreted his remarks.

But, since this isn't about architecture, let's let it fade away.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2005, 03:31:16 PM »
Who's to say which of us, with absolute certainty, can state what Michael Moore meant ?

Michael Moore can -- and I hope he does. I'm curious.

Your point about Internet communication is extremely well taken. My lighthearted remarks have been misinterpreted too many times -- and I think I'm a fairly decent, very careful writer ... though no Dan Jenkins, of course....

------

To Mike Cirba --

I'm not Polish.

So far as I know.

Michael Moore

« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2005, 03:42:45 PM »
Jester is descriptive, a job title just like gentleman farmer or equity analyst. It is what it is.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 03:43:10 PM by Michael Moore »
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Dan Kelly

« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2005, 03:58:19 PM »
Thanks.

I guess I should have asked about golf in Maine.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2005, 04:07:30 PM »
And sometimes a Prick is just a Prick......

Mike Benham

« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2005, 04:27:02 PM »
And the whole time prior, the rest of the outside world has been looking in on GCA and laughing their heads off... ;D

Such as "The Truman Show"?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2005, 04:29:35 PM »

Such as "The Truman Show"?

Mike,

Yep...exactly.  

Sort of a Twilight Zone thingy, as well. ;)

Kelly Blake Moran

« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2005, 08:15:12 AM »

When people start venerating stupidity as an acceptable part of public culture, it's over.

I think that pretty well sums up the American media.  Thanks.

Ian,

Probably every profession feels the same as your architect friends, except for lawyers, they actually think they know everything about everyone else's profession, but I mean is their commnet really meaningful, I don't understand the importance of their feelings.  If they don't see much value in a website of know-it-alls why do they check in?  If they know it all why don't they contribute.  Maybe most of those architects need to look in a mirror and realize they are the pretenders, they are the ones that think they know it all, when in fact most of them are turning out crap architecture.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back