News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

T_MacWood

Another golf architectural quiz
« on: May 02, 2005, 10:13:24 PM »
This one is pretty hard so I'm giving hints, still if you get four you are doing extremely well.

1. Part of a famous partnership.

2. First hole of a British links co-designed by a major force in British golf and Arts and Crafts golf architecture--name the course or architect.

3. A little known Illinois course designed by an architectural icon--name the course or architect.

4. This golf architect was also an architect and designed this clubhouse--the influence of Frank Llloyd Wright and the Prarie School is evident.

5. MacKenzie adivised this Southern Hemisphere club.

6. A famous links in its early geometric days.

7. A prolific architect.

8. The original architect of a very famous Canadian design--he is better known than Stanley Thompson.

9. The 18th hole of London area golf course--name the course or architects.

10. A most prominant early American golf architect.

11. The British equivalent of the NGLA--name the golf course.

12. A 19th C. architectural example of a well respected golf architect--name the architect.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 10:52:27 PM by Tom MacWood »

Tyler Kearns

Re:Another golf architectural quiz
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 12:25:18 AM »
1. C.H. Alison
5. Jockey Club
7. Tom Bendelow

Three strikes, I'm out!!

TK

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 08:28:57 AM »
1. Alison
2. Hutchinson (What is A&C architecture?)
3. Macdonald (Senator Farwell's estate)
4. Paul Cowley
5. Mar de Plata--Argentina
6. The "Magic Carpet" green at Eastbourne
7. Bendelow
8. Willie Dunn Jr
9. The Kumquat Tree Gang in the Chaulk Pit
10. C.B. Macdonald (in his fat period)
11. Sandwich (the Sahara bunker)
12. Ashley Wood G.C. by Tom Dunn
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 08:39:03 AM by TEPaul »

T_MacWood

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 09:25:16 AM »
Tyler got one out of three, and TE has three correct which is very good, and may be difficult to beat.

TE
Arts and Crafts golf architecture was a reform movement in golf architecture. It embraced many of the philosphies of the A&C Movement: reverance for the past and the vernacular tradition; harmony between man-made and the environment; the inherent virtue of nature; craftsmanship; indiviualism and variety.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 09:32:46 AM by Tom MacWood »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 10:47:38 AM »
1. Alison
2. Hunstanton GC
3. Mill Road Farm, Illinois, by W. Flynn
4. no idea, but I'm curious
5. Mar del Plata, Argentina [good guess TEP]
9. Royal Eastbourne
10. H.C. Leeds ? [I've never seen a photo of him]
11. trick question - there is no British equivalent of NGLA
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 10:48:00 AM by Tom_Doak »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 11:07:52 AM »
Does the 135yrd sign on picture no 9 indicate a short hole?  If so, I'm saying Sandy Lodge Golf Club (again!).   Today it plays about 150 across a gaping chasm and like the rest of the course there is a lot less sand and the trees have matured all around and behind it.
Architect Vardon
Let's make GCA grate again!

Paul_Turner

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 12:35:33 PM »
1 is Morrison.

and yes 9 is definitely Sandy Lodge 18th.

I agree that 2 is the opener at Hunstanton too.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 12:36:47 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Paul_Turner

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 12:39:04 PM »
6 is the opene (maybe 15th) at Brancaster, I think.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 12:39:58 PM by Paul_Turner »

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 01:14:03 PM »
#3 is Mill Road Farm by William Flynn? What is Mill Road Farm and who is William Flynn? Never even heard of the guy so who says he's an architectural icon?

« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 02:31:06 PM by TEPaul »

T_MacWood

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2005, 01:40:22 PM »
Six down (1, 2, 5, 7, 9 and 10) and six to go...very good considering how obscure some of these are....for example Leeds. There are very few pictures of the man, he had a grotesque birthmark on the left side of his face...all the pictures I've seen are always in profile.

1. Morrison
2. Brancaster and HG Hutchinson
5. Mar del Plata
7. Bendelow
9. Sandy Lodge and Vardon/Colt
10. Herbert Leeds

TE
I don't really want this thread devolving into a A&C or Aronimink discussion...if you could remove your post and make it a separate thread I would appreciate it....I'll be glad to answer you over there.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 01:50:35 PM by Tom MacWood »

CHrisB

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2005, 02:04:57 PM »
8. Donald Ross?

I believe he designed the original course at Banff before Thompson's course replaced it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 02:05:20 PM by Chris Brauner »

TEPaul

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2005, 02:28:31 PM »
"TE
I don't really want this thread devolving into a A&C or Aronimink discussion...if you could remove your post and make it a separate thread I would appreciate it....I'll be glad to answer you over there."

Tom:

Understood. That would be my distinct pleasure to do. All I'm looking for is some answers on your part and a separate thread would be ideal. However, I don't want to continue deal with response questions like this seems to be personal or we've been over this before. I've asked you before but you've never answered me except to simply ask me some other question in place of a response to my questions to you. Persoanally I love trying to understand the evolutions in architecure and the particular influences on it at any time and I think this subject is very fasicnating all around and would be an excellent one to have on this website. To me it's a whole lot more interesting than what the top ten course are in Pennsylvania or New Jersey. Those threads have their own supporters and contributors on here.

Would you like to give the thread a name?

Dan Kelly

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2005, 02:40:33 PM »

1. Part of a famous partnership.

I've wondered what Wayne looks like.

Of course, his famous partner looks like Ben Crenshaw. Or is it Andy Williams?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 02:41:28 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

T_MacWood

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2005, 02:47:42 PM »
TE
Whatever title you would like.

mike_malone

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2005, 02:47:54 PM »
 Let's just say that TEPaul looks more like Crenshaw than Wayne looks like this guy.
AKA Mayday

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2005, 03:04:34 PM »
Let's just say that TEPaul looks more like Crenshaw than Wayne looks like this guy.

I don't know Mayday...

If we fitted Wayne with a bushy mustache and some turn of the century duds, it's not too far from the mark.  ;)

What's he looking at?  Is he spying a site for a bunker short right of the green on the 7th at RG??   ;D

mike_malone

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2005, 03:07:11 PM »
 Maybe if you put a pillow in his coat ;D

Mike,

Wayne and I have moved our battle to #18 RG. He wants a par 4 I say it's fine as a 5.

BTW  I have no idea on the quiz.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 03:25:17 PM by Mike_Malone »
AKA Mayday

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2005, 03:26:35 PM »
What's par?

I have to say that I don't like the current goofy arrangement where the "Championship" tee is placed 25 yards ahead of the "Regular" tee, and played as a par four.

My take is that RG is a ball-busting course, featuring killer par threes and fours and fives through the first 15 holes.  If the elevation changes and contours don't kill you, the green slopes will.  

For member play, having two shortish par fives to close gives one hope of redemption and will to live on for another day.

If the PGA tour comes to town, call them par fours.

George Pazin

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2005, 03:26:45 PM »
I'm pretty sure that one guy in #8 is Andre the Giant's grandfather.

Has anyone ever posted modern photos of Brancaster?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Paul_Turner

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2005, 03:30:15 PM »
IS 8 Ted Ray??

wsmorrison

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2005, 04:58:57 PM »
Dan,

I wish I looked that good!  He's got a much better finish than I do.  I'd be falling over.

Tom Paul does look a bit like Ben Crenshaw--if Ben smoked about 2 packs a day and wore funny looking clogs.

Mike Cirba,

I appreciate what you mean about more forward tees for better players at par 4 and further back at par 5 for average players.  But look at Flynn's most challenging courses and they all have difficult par 4 finishers:

Shinnecock Hills
Philadelphia Country Club (before the clubhouse moved)
Huntingdon Valley
Boca Raton South
Mill Road Farm
Cherry Hills
Eagles Mere New (417 yards, 120 feet uphill)
Lancaster
Indian Creek
Lehigh

Look at the courses he was influenced by:

Merion East
Pine Valley

Come on, Mike C.  You can have a 5 so many ugly ways on 18 at RGGC.  It cannot be that it is the expected score of a scratch player.  If you walk off with a 5 on 18 at RGGC do you really feel like you played the hole well?  Let alone a scratch player.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 08:17:12 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Paul_Turner

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2005, 05:04:01 PM »
I'm pretty sure that one guy in #8 is Andre the Giant's grandfather.

Has anyone ever posted modern photos of Brancaster?

George

I have some but they aren't very good and don't do the course justice.  It's a course that should be way up on must see lists.

TEPaul

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2005, 06:20:02 PM »
"Tom Paul does look a bit like Ben Crenshaw--if Ben smoked about 2 packs a day and wore funny looking clogs."

Ben does smoke about 2 packs a day, it just appears he tries to hide it---I don't.

Furthermore, with my new long hair I now look a lot more like Bill Coore, and a lot less like Ben Crenshaw.

TEPaul

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2005, 06:34:05 PM »
Mayday:

Jeeesus man, you really are looking to get taken out to a dinner on Friday night and getting a beating, aren't you?

Here's how you make RG's #18 into a great par 4. Take out all those trees about 35 yards deep into the right and establish some really good Flynn bunkers where some of those uesless trees were and tempt the good player into carrying right over those bunkers onto a virtual turbo-boost (expanded fairway to the right) and down into the ideal landing area for a shot up into that green. The hole then would be an awesome par 4 with a high demand on a great drive like so many of the high demand great finishing par 4s (Merion East, Pine Valley, Riviera etc). For the rest of the hoi pollo--they can have a tee a little farther back and let 'em play it as the less interesting par 5 it is.

If you don't agree with that concept in the next 24 hours you'll be on the inside of a booth in a diner this Friday night gettin' your faced shaped for a beating from Wayne. I'll be there to sponge him off between rounds or to apply some grease to any minor cuts he might get.

T_MacWood

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2005, 06:42:27 PM »
#8 is not Donald Ross or Ted Ray....but he is British and very famous, more famous than either Ross or Ray...maybe not quite as famous as Andre the Giant.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 06:43:25 PM by Tom MacWood »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back