GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

The Time Between Shot And Result Is The Key

<< < (15/15)

Garland Bayley:

--- Quote from: Tom_Doak on January 28, 2010, 04:44:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: Garland Bayley on January 28, 2010, 02:57:00 PM ---It just occurred to me how this applies to ponds vs. streams.

I have for a long time said that I much prefer streams to ponds on golf courses, because I can accidentally miss a stream. I.e., I hit at a stream by accident and it manages not to go in the stream.

John's theory explains this better. Often times if you hit a ball at a pond, you know almost instantly your ball is going to a watery grave. However, if you hit your ball at a stream you wait until the ball lands outside the stream, then you wait some more while the ball runs out to see if it takes the slope into the stream, and finally when it comes to rest safely, you feel a sense of elation!

--- End quote ---

Garland:

One of the funniest things I've seen on a golf course was my former intern James Duncan [who now works for Bill Coore] trying to drive across the creek on the sixth at Stonewall.  The water there is actually about two feet wide, but it twists and turns, and James' drive was toward the line of the creek and managed to splash right in the middle of that two-foot-wide water course.  :)  It reminded me of Rocky the Flying Squirrel high diving into a barrel of water.

--- End quote ---

With that accuracy for dunking it, he ought to collect a few holes-in-one in his lifetime. ;)

Pete_Pittock:
With the 16th at Sagebrush in mind this thread needs to reemerge. Also was thinging of this at the par 3 15th at Royal Colwood when I pulled one left over the green and mused if it reappearing in the OB parking lot changed anything. A well placed bunker stopped it.

Pete_Pittock:

This thread may have been wrapped through Ran's mind when he penned this Golf Magazine article:

https://golf.com/travel/why-release-golf-ball-ground-beautiful-thing/

Ira Fishman:
Thanks for reviving a really interesting thread. The premise of the OP brought to mind the joys of the old game of Mousetrap. The posts about blind shots reminded me of Battleship. The ones about courses like CP spoke Stratego.

There is a place for all of them in the pantheon of great venues.

Ira

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version