GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

The Time Between Shot And Result Is The Key

<< < (14/15) > >>

Garland Bayley:
It just occurred to me how this applies to ponds vs. streams.

I have for a long time said that I much prefer streams to ponds on golf courses, because I can accidentally miss a stream. I.e., I hit at a stream by accident and it manages not to go in the stream.

John's theory explains this better. Often times if you hit a ball at a pond, you know almost instantly your ball is going to a watery grave. However, if you hit your ball at a stream you wait until the ball lands outside the stream, then you wait some more while the ball runs out to see if it takes the slope into the stream, and finally when it comes to rest safely, you feel a sense of elation!

Tiger_Bernhardt:
John I also love the post. It is the 2nd half of that feeling for me. The first half is imagining the shot and setting it up in my head. Then to watch it unfold is pure joy.

Sean Leary:

--- Quote from: Tiger_Bernhardt on January 28, 2010, 03:00:39 PM ---John I also love the post. It is the 2nd half of that feeling for me. The first half is imagining the shot and setting it up in my head. Then to watch it unfold is pure joy.

--- End quote ---

Especially with the ground balls I have seen you hit...Its on the ground for a long time

;)

Hope you are well, Tiger.

Tom_Doak:

--- Quote from: Garland Bayley on January 28, 2010, 02:57:00 PM ---It just occurred to me how this applies to ponds vs. streams.

I have for a long time said that I much prefer streams to ponds on golf courses, because I can accidentally miss a stream. I.e., I hit at a stream by accident and it manages not to go in the stream.

John's theory explains this better. Often times if you hit a ball at a pond, you know almost instantly your ball is going to a watery grave. However, if you hit your ball at a stream you wait until the ball lands outside the stream, then you wait some more while the ball runs out to see if it takes the slope into the stream, and finally when it comes to rest safely, you feel a sense of elation!

--- End quote ---

Garland:

One of the funniest things I've seen on a golf course was my former intern James Duncan [who now works for Bill Coore] trying to drive across the creek on the sixth at Stonewall.  The water there is actually about two feet wide, but it twists and turns, and James' drive was toward the line of the creek and managed to splash right in the middle of that two-foot-wide water course.  :)  It reminded me of Rocky the Flying Squirrel high diving into a barrel of water.

Tim Bert:
Kudos to John!  You know you have put forth a thoughtful post when it is re-visited in 5 separate years - we have posts from '05 '06 '07 '09 and now '10. What happened in 2008???

I enjoy re-reading this one every time it pops up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version