GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

The Time Between Shot And Result Is The Key

<< < (13/15) > >>

Tom_Doak:
Today I was thinking about the TPC at Sawgrass and being there for the first couple of tournaments played on it.  One thing I was struck by was how there was so much crowd reaction because the ball moved on the greens a lot after the approach had landed ... the plateaus for the hole locations were relatively small, and frequently players would try to play to them by hedging to the side where a slope in the green would feed the ball down to another position.  Anyway, there was a lot more gallery noise because of all the slopes in the greens and because the crowd, being unfamiliar with it all, was excited to see where the ball would wind up.

All of which fits John's theory rather well, in terms of how much a gallery will enjoy tournament golf.  Off the top of my head, the two courses on the US Tour which are the most exciting for galleries are the TPC and Augusta National.

P.S.  I'm glad I could help extend John's theory outside of this small circle of enthusiasts.

Matthew Hunt:
Toms right.

Also a big reason the PGA tour isn't as exiting as tthe European tour is the ball runs in Europe but in the US "Resort courses" it just sticks.

Sadly all the best players are deflecting to the PGA TOUR as they have the big $$$.

Charlie Goerges:
Bumpioca for Ben.

Here's one that I enjoyed.

Roger Wolfe:
Augustine Golf Club in Stafford, VA (top 100 PYCP back in late 90's) had a hole where you would experience this.  #2 was a monster par four with a lake along the entire left side and a high fescue hillside / forest on the right.  If you hit the fairway, the next shot was a long iron or hybrid to the green.  Everyone avoided the lake on the left so most would launch it to the front right side of the green at the toe of a slope.  You would hit the ball and it would vanish over the mounding in front of the green.  Sometimes, after a considerable wait, the ball would suddenly reappear and roll across the green toward the pin.  It was great.  Very good thread!!

Carl Nichols:
Roger:
Very true -- unfortunately, I often experienced that with my third shot (having had to take a drop b/c of the water), which took some fun out of it.   ;)

Cool thread and theory.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version