GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

The Time Between Shot And Result Is The Key

<< < (2/15) > >>

Larry_Keltto:
John:

I enjoyed reading your theory, and I immediately thought of one of the most remarkable shots of my humble golfing life: a little 30-yard chip to the 8th hole at Sand Hills. The hole was on the left side, and the ball -- seemingly struck too firmly -- rolled onto the green front left, then began a remarkable, nearly 360-degree journey to the back of the left half of the green and then returned again to the middle of the left half, coming to rest a few feet from the hole. I was in awe of what the ball's roll had revealed regarding the character of the ground. A mundane chip had been transformed into a shot of a lifetime. I wish I knew how long I watched the ball travel; regardless, I'm still watching that shot now.

Dan Herrmann:
John,
What a great idea.  And I think you're completely correct.

I was playing yesterday and had a 60 degree wedge shot that I needed to play from the fringe on the upper portion of a green complex to the lower portion (French Creek #3).  The total time of the shot from the time the ball was struck until it stopped must've been about 5 seconds.  And the ball was only in the air for about 1.5 seconds.  It was doing an AGNC #16-type roundabout.

Most fun shot of the day, and it was only a 30 foot shot.

A_Clay_Man:
Hear hear. Concur with all the above and would add that it is the unexpected, the unpredictable that is the excitement in golf. Watching the high ball land within feet of it's expected landing area and then stay there is so rote.

To take it a step farther, Why is it that those who revel in having the ball stop within inches of the pin, on a regular basis, get so upset when they end-up with a ball in a just horrible predicament? It's preposterous to me to expect all the right bounces all the time.

In the words of the mosquito hunting Monty Pyton sketch, " Where's the sport in that?

John_McMillan:

--- Quote from: john_kirk on May 01, 2005, 11:05:29 PM ---Nothing is better than a putt that rolls for 10 seconds and goes in.  That's why most here like fast greens with sloped surfaces.
--- End quote ---

But wouldn't the putt take even longer if the greens were maintained at a slower speed?

JESII:

--- Quote from: John_McMillan on May 02, 2005, 10:03:56 AM ---
--- Quote from: john_kirk on May 01, 2005, 11:05:29 PM ---Nothing is better than a putt that rolls for 10 seconds and goes in.  That's why most here like fast greens with sloped surfaces.
--- End quote ---

But wouldn't the putt take even longer if the greens were maintained at a slower speed?

--- End quote ---

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version