News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Cummings

Charlotte NC
« on: May 01, 2005, 04:47:56 PM »
If money and waiting lists were not an issue, what are the choices of clubs to join in the Charlotte area?  Is there anything better than Ross's Charlotte CC?  JC

SPDB

Re:Charlotte NC
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 05:41:37 PM »

1. Charlotte CC
2. Quail Hollow
3. Public

Its pretty slim pickings. The money plays at QUail Hollow, and the course is certainly more challenging, but CCC no doubt possesses the superior architecture of the two.

Jason Tetterton

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 07:11:44 PM »
I'd add Myers Park to that list.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 07:16:34 PM »
Myer's Park?  I've never heard of it.  Private?

SPDB

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 07:18:19 PM »
Jonathan - Forgot about that one. Yeah, its another private ross.

michael j fay

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 09:07:36 PM »
When are you going?

Alex Chehansky

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 11:32:37 PM »
i enjoyed the new nicklaus, club at longview.  Great staff, good service and fantastic greens, decent layout with some fun holes.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 09:03:47 AM »
I agree with Alex and The Club at Longview. TPC Piper Glen has a good group of members to play with. The course is a Palmer with loads of homes all over the place.
Mr Hurricane

CHC1948

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 09:59:58 AM »
Carolina is a good ross course as well.....they are getting ready to make some changes......not thilled about the changes so far!

Ken Bramlett

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 12:29:28 PM »
Charlotte has four "oldline" clubs:

1.  Charlotte CC
2.  Myers Park CC
3.  Carmel CC
4.  Quail Hollow

Quail is home of the Wachovia Championship and the area "CEO's" club of choice.  Tom Fazio redid the Palmer design a few years ago, with a view towards winning a PGA Tour event.  Quail's the smallest membership of the four and the toughest ticket.

Charlotte and Myers Park are the old money clubs, and each has a Ross course that has been recently renovated (and allegedly restored to Ross specs).  Charlotte has the better golf course, but Myers Park has the better location.  I certainly woudln't dismiss MP out of hand as one of the fellows did earlier in this thread.

Carmel has the best physical facilitites of the four, and enjoys the luxury of 2 good (not great) 18 hole golf courses.  Its South Course was renovated by Rees Jones in 1989 and the North Course by Tom Jackson in 1995.  Carmel's the easiest of the four to get into.

After the four, Charlotte has a number of other private clubs:

Longview is new, and word is there's no one to play with down there yet.  It has a Nicklaus golf course that gets pretty good marks.

Piper Glen is a TPC golf course (another Palmer design) and isn't really private in the true sense of the word.

The Pointe and The Peninsula are both up at Lake Norman (in North Charlotte) and are part of residential developments.  Greg Norman did the Pointe and Rees Jones did The Peninsula.

Ballantyne Country Club (way in South Charlotte ) is also Rees Jones and also part of a residential development.  Firethorne (technically in Union County) is nearby and generally gets better marks for its golf course than Ballantyne.  

Carolina is a neat old Ross design in a crappy part of town that is underrated (probably because it's so short [[I don't think they can stretch it out over 6,400 yards]] and because mostly younger folks are members there).

Providence Country Club is also here, but it doesn't get much press at all.  It's a typical Dan Maples residential golf course whose routing was clearly meant to accomodate the developers' need to squeeze as many houses onto the property as possible.

If you were will ing to stray a little farther out, check out the Old North State Club up at Badin Lake.  Old North State is about an hour and 15 minutes from Charlotte, but is one of Tom Fazio's better designs.  The club is still fairly young, but the course has been near the top of the NC state golf course rankings for a while now.

Good luck.        

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 03:55:31 PM »
Thanks!

Michael - I sent you an email.

Ken - your write-up is very helpful.

JC

mike_beene

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2005, 10:47:32 PM »
Carmel has really nice practice facilities.As a visitor that is not important,but that plus location might make me pick it or
quail over CCC,especially if family was going to use it.

Scott Witter

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 08:37:01 AM »
Jonathan:

I can't speak to any of the private facilities, but if you are looking for a good track to play while you consider your choices, I would recommend spending some time at the Charlotte Golf Links by Tom Doak.  Early to mid 1990's I think. It is a very respectable old school layout that looks like it has been there for 80 years and something you might find off the beaten path in Scotland.  It has some strong characteristic Doak green complexes, so don't forget to bring your short game.  The best part of it is, the price is quite reasonable.  

Have fun

Scott

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 08:43:55 AM »
If there aren't a lot of better courses in town than Charlotte Golf Links, then Charlotte is a golf-poor town.  It's currently #18 of the 18 courses we've done, with lead weights in its shoes.

Bruce Hepner consulted for a few years at Catawba Country Club which is not far from Charlotte ... he liked that place a lot, but I've never seen it.

Scott Witter

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2005, 08:57:59 AM »
Tom:

Never said there weren't better courses in town...Perhaps I should have qualified my experience in Charlotte which is minimal at best, but I did enjoy my short term experience at CGL nevertheless, dispite your criticisim of your own work.  I happened to have an extended lay-over a couple of years ago and needed a place to play in short notice.  Yes, you have done better work, but CGL was relatively early in your growing career wasn't it?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back