News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Trojan.Vundu.b
« on: April 30, 2005, 11:33:57 PM »
Gentlemen,

I have been violated by the aforementioned virus.. it is vicious and nasty. I have lost just about everything on my
computer... is anyone else affected?

Bob

John Kirk

Re:Trojan.Vundu.b
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 10:44:07 AM »
Bob,

Sorry to hear about the virus attack.  Really annoying.

I haven't been affected.  Do you need help fixing the problem?

I looked up "trojan" and "vundu" on both Google and the Symantec web site.  (Symantec is a computer security company that sells anti-virus software for your computer).  There is no mention of a 'vundu" virus on either site, so perhaps you have not identified the recognized name of your virus.

Even if you don't buy their complete software, Symantec usually has a free fix for any virus, assuming you know which one it is.  Once identifed, go to www.symantec.com, search for your virus, and and follow the directions for removal.

Do you have an anti-virus software program on your computer?  Also, did your problems start by reading an e-mail, or through your Internet Explorer web browser?  An alternate web browser called Firefox (downloaded at www.firefox.com) seems to be much less prone to virus attack.

I can try to help from afar.  You may need to install a McAfee or Symantec anti-virus program to remove the offending software.  The amount of effort you should spend on this problem depends on the amount of important data on your computer.

John

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 11:42:30 AM »
John,

I Had the full Corporate Symantec package. The virus was not cleaned or quarantined and prevented booting up the machine. Symantec put out a Removal Tool on the 29th but by then I was unable to reboot.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 11:56:33 AM »

Bob,

The Trojan.Vundo.B is an adware trojan, which should create popups for advertising on your computer and create some files, but it doesn't appear to be destructive. I think you may have some other worm or virus on your machine.  

Here is Symantecs writeup.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.vundo.b.html

Adware and malware will be a much bigger problem than worms and viruses this coming year. Hopefully you will be able to recover your important data from your machine, there are many techniques available for retrieval.

John Kirk

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 12:29:03 PM »
You might fix the problem by rebooting using a reboot or recovery disk, then restoring the computer to a previous (last week's) configuration.

Most modern computers have a way to restore a past configuration.  Restoring to last week's configuration may eliminate the problem.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 01:05:43 PM »
John,

I spent over two hours with our Corporate chaps without an answer. Yesterday we spent almost five hours with Dell and I can assure you they were stumped. There was no way to reboot and use any recovery discs or tools. The ability to reboot was not an option.

Bob

John Kirk

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 01:26:31 PM »
OK...just trying to help.  I'm not all that savvy technically; just sharing my experience.

Is there anything more frustrating than a computer disabled by a virus?  Microsoft deserves some of the credit here.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back