News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam_Jessie

Old Confidential Guide to Golf Courses
« on: April 28, 2005, 09:56:30 PM »
I know that this book has been discussed to death on this forum but I just got copies of the first two Confidential Guides to Golf Courses today. I wanted to see if anybody else checked these things out.  If you can you should pick them up, they are pretty sweet!

Adam Jessie
Shinnecock Hills Golf Club

ed_getka

Re:Old Confidential Guide to Golf Courses
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 10:47:58 PM »
Adam,
  I think pretty much everybody on this site has a copy. You must have gotten a good price to buy two copies, because they sell pretty high these days.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Adam_Jessie

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 10:55:36 PM »
I was talking about the first two editions the Brown cover version and the version that is unbound and in a red folder.
Not the mass produced verson that everybody on this site has multiple copies of.

Adam Jessie

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 10:56:34 PM »
Ed:

I've heard through the grapevine that Adam has got his hands on one of the 25 second-edition copies which I printed myself.  If so he should put it in storage for safe keeping, and I would appreciate it if he did not share some of the more outrageous reviews.

Adam:

If that copy is authentic I think it would be inscribed; I would love to know to whom it was sent originally.

The original edition of 40 copies was in a black binder; the next 25 were in red.  The bound brown book is the third edition of which 1000 were printed and I still have 150 in my basement.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 10:57:55 PM by Tom_Doak »

Adam_Jessie

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 11:02:09 PM »
Tom,

Its a pretty funny story about the books, and trust me I will not share anything. i was cerious if anybody else had these. Next time you are out here we will have to catch up, and I will tell you the story behind them.

Adam Jessie

George Pazin

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 09:14:19 AM »
Well, if there is a suspicious break in at Adam's house anytime soon, we'll know where to start the search for suspects.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 09:20:43 AM »
The bound brown book is the third edition of which 1000 were printed and I still have 150 in my basement.

Geezuz Tom, could you send me one? I like your writing and all, but I just can't bring myself to spring for the money they're asking for on ebay. Are you saving that mother load for a retirement fund?

Kirk Gill

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 04:28:37 PM »
Might I second Mr. Collins ?
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 04:42:43 PM »
The bound brown book is the third edition of which 1000 were printed and I still have 150 in my basement.

I hope it is a really dry basement :)

I think many GCA newbies, including this one, would like to buy an autographed copy.

PS. I just checked for how much this edition is selling - HOLY MOLLY!

I REALLY hope that Tom's basement is bone dry.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 05:01:54 PM by Voytek Wilczak »

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 05:01:38 PM »
It's not just the Newbies who are clamoring for one.

Craig Disher

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 10:37:18 PM »
Tom,
Since my version has the GCGC/Durban error and Sleeping Bear refused to help me, would you be willing to exchange one of the old brown copies from your basement for mine? I'm willing to pay for shipping and handling. ;)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 10:59:44 PM »
A couple of months ago I mentioned that I had a bunch of copies of the brown-cover edition collecting dust, and several people asked to buy one.  They're still available.

I sold that edition for $100 as a collector's item and I will still sell them for that amount, as long as the buyer promises not to turn around and sell it for a profit.  Every book is personally inscribed to make resale slightly more difficult.

Just find our office address at our web site (www.renaissancegolf.com) and mail me a check, and you'll have a book in a couple of weeks.

scott_wood

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2005, 09:02:30 PM »
Tom, a very very magnanimous offer, from a great supporter of this site (and GOLF)......I 've built my collection to over 200+, but your signed #160, is "numero uno",..... along with your offer to "stop in" to your offices the next time I'm by ( only 700 miles) and view your proposed routing of a certain course you were potentially involved in a few years back........ ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back