News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Most underrated courses not in Golf Digest's top 100
« on: April 27, 2005, 06:57:12 AM »
How about what courses you think should be in Golf Digest's top 100 and aren't.

Forget Golf Digest's critera for this exercise.

Here's the new criteria: a top 100 course just says hello to you, and by the time you're done, you know without a shadow of a doubt that you've played one.

I'll start with:

Lakota Canyon near Aspen. I've posted a lengthy review on this course before, but suffice it to say, it's like a roller coaster ride, on thrill after another.

The setting is spectular in the foothills of the mountains. Not in the flat looking at the foothills as so many courses are, but literally in the foothills and the holes wind around the natural contors that water, wind, graivity have produced over 1000's of years.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 10:11:12 AM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

jim_lewis

Re:Most underrated courses not in Golf Digest's top 100
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 07:38:54 AM »
wannamoisett
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 10:26:41 PM by jim_lewis »
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 07:47:26 AM »
Rolling Green
Huntingdon Valley
Applebrook

Brad Klein

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 07:49:21 AM »
Salem
Desert Forest

ForkaB

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 08:39:12 AM »
Winchester
Applebrook

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 08:46:44 AM »
Cary, You were missed in AZ. but if you had been there we would've had a discussion, or two, on how diverse the opinions are, of the panelists, on exactly what constitues a quality golf course.

The lesson taken was one we know all to well, tolerance.

JakaB

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 08:55:46 AM »
Cary, You were missed in AZ. but if you had been there we would've had a discussion, or two, on how diverse the opinions are, of the panelists, on exactly what constitues a quality golf course.

The lesson taken was one we know all to well, tolerance.

Adam,

That is a beautiful thought...

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 09:00:55 AM »
Yale.

Mike,

I don't feel like showing you pictures of it, either.  ;) Just going on a hunch you may have an idea of what the place looks like.

Haven't played it, how about Friar's Head...

Brad,

You gave Hidden Creek an 8.5.  Seems high enough to qualify (8.5 would place it 4th Modern in GW).

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 09:03:54 AM »
J.B.- As soon as I hit the post button my thoughts were of Tommy, and how intolerant he is when it comes to the art of GCA. The exception maybe that it is just golf. But,
I love him for his intolerance of mediocrity and I'm hoping he will be able to better quantify his thoughts, so others can become more informed which would hopefully lead to educated.

JakaB

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 09:09:11 AM »
Adam,

I thought you were talking about tolerance of people whose opinions were different than yours....Which might put a stop to all these Golfweek "I'm better than Golf Digest" threads.  I don't recall ever reading even one post where Tommy questions another panelists opinions...I thought he was mainly non-tolerant of an architects work not what someone else might think of it.

Paul Richards

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 09:58:38 AM »
John

> thought you were talking about tolerance of people whose opinions were different than yours....Which might put a stop to all these Golfweek "I'm better than Golf Digest" threads.

Maybe he's talking about the tolerance of people who are raters  ...

Which might put an end to those "bashing the raters" threads that you have been involved in.

;)
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 10:04:07 AM »
Tolerance is defined by Webester:

"To recognize and respect others' beliefs without sharing them"

I think that is an excellent definition.

I try to go one step further, and learn the reasons why anothers beliefs or opinions differ from mine. That's why I like to read the architects imput here closely.

"The older I get, the less I know for certain"
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

JakaB

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 10:06:39 AM »
You can respect the belief without respecting the believer..

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 10:12:11 AM »
John:

Explain

JDoyle

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005, 10:17:10 AM »
BCC - Five Farms

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2005, 10:19:41 AM »
Three of my favorites that could easily replace many on the list:

Myopia Hunt Club
Piping Rock
Kingsley Club

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2005, 11:35:53 AM »
John- My original comment was general, but also reflected how I felt about the differing opinions from the different raters, I was pleased to meet. Rather than take an egoists position that I know it all, I just chaulked it up to personal preferences. And, as I said, as I hit the post button I realized the exception to the rule.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2005, 12:03:03 PM »
Eastward Ho!  by miles.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Cory Lewis

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2005, 05:36:10 PM »
Myopia Hunt
BCC
Newport
Hidden Creek
Forsgate(Banks)
Whippoorwill

Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

John Kirk

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2005, 06:04:44 PM »
My favorite course not currently on the list is Pasatiempo, though I  believe the lack of pin locations on certain greens hurts the course.  Despite the adjacent housing, I think every hole on the course is beautiful, a real work of art.

I'm a member at Pumpkin Ridge.  The two courses there probably belong in the top 200 or so, but if one belongs in the top 100, I'd pick the public side, Ghost Creek.  More fun shots to hit, and better views.

mark chalfant

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2005, 06:14:50 PM »
NCR
Philadelphia CC
Brookside (Ross)
Univ. of Michigan
Lawsonia

Matt_Ward

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2005, 09:21:33 PM »
Plainfield
Wannamoisett
Desert Forest

Simply inexcusable that these former mainstays were dropped. There are other new courses that I would also add such as Black Mesa in New Mexico, among a few others.

Paul Richards

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2005, 09:23:56 PM »
Baltimore
Plainfield
Wannamoisett
Desert Forest
Point O'Woods

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Matt_Ward

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2005, 09:34:59 PM »
Paul:

With all due respect there are replacement courses for Baltimore and Point O'Woods by the particular architects involved ... Fenway can take the place of Baltimore and Dunes or Mauna Kea can replace Point O'Woods.

Thomas_Brown

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2005, 10:17:01 PM »
Wanamoisett

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back