News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Doyle

Kinderlou Forest (DL III)
« on: April 26, 2005, 09:44:07 PM »
Every March I head to Orlando for a 5-day golf-a-thon with a group of my wife’s relatives (sometimes family obligations can just be hell).  I drive the minivan down so we don’t have to rent another vehicle, so this year I decided to duck off Interstate 75 at Exit 16 in Valdosta and check out Kinderlou Forest, a Davis Love III design.  The golf course is the centerpiece of a residential community being developed on the 600 acre homesite of an old family farm.  Kinderlou Forest opened in 2004 and was named by Golf Digest magazine as one of the 10 best public access courses to open that year.

I was already scheduled to play 144 holes of golf over the next 5 days – I should have known that trying to add on another round was severely tempting fate.  On 2 different days, separated by my Florida trip, I managed to play 12 of the holes at Kinderlou.  On the drive down, I found out the front 9 was closed due to repair work, so I wound up playing the back 9 twice.  I stopped in again on my drive back to Atlanta to catch the front side, only to be chased off the course after 3 holes by a violent thunderstorm (see below).  At least the customer service was excellent – they gave me a discount on the first round and a rain check for the second.

I will post some pictures and comments on specific holes in subsequent posts:

The Front 3: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=17884

Some general observations:

1.  The course is long.  DLIII is one of the longer hitters on the Tour, so it might make sense for him to design a course with plenty of distance.  I generally don’t play the very back set of tees, so I automatically went to the second set – only to find out after a couple of holes that the SECOND set of tees plays 7,257 yards.  The Championship Tees are 7,781 yards!  The par 4’s on the back are:  419, 439, 426, 436, and 460, the finishing hole playing uphill all the way.

2.  The property is much hillier than I expected for south Georgia, and there are a lot of elevation changes on many holes, both up and downhill.  The front 9 traverses a large, hilly area that appears to have been open farm land, while the back 9 winds through a more forested area.  The property is beautiful and it appears as though they are keeping the residential development well back from the course, although it's hard to tell as not many homes have been built yet.

The course is walkable; green to tee distances are very reasonable.  One downside to walking is the reliance on the GPS system on the carts, although a pro-style yardage book is available.  Another potential downside is the length and hilliness of the course – you better be in shape if you’re going to walk Kinderlou.

3.  The design features that stood out most to me were the push-up style greens and the flat-bottomed bunkers with grass faces.  The greens had a reasonable amount of break but did not have large contours.  Many greens also had drop-offs or run-offs into swales or chipping areas.

Example: right side view of the green on hole #02:

4.  Visual deception is used quite effectively on a number of holes.  For example, the high banks of the creek that cuts in front of the 13th green make it appear the green is very close to the creek when in fact there is a 30 yard landing area between the creek and the green.  Failure to place your ball in the preferred area of the fairway on a number of holes results in an obstructed path to the green - either physically or visually.

5.  There are several lakes on the property, but they are not often in play.  Water is in play on a number of holes, but it is generally from creeks that wind alongside or cut across the fairways or wetlands that encroach.

Despite my bad luck here, I would highly recommend playing Kinderlou Forest if you are in the Valdosta area.  It’s a beautiful parkland course, a real test of your golf game (particularly from a length perspective), and it’s an excellent value (in comparison to metro Atlanta prices).

There's a storm brewin' .....

Can you say "rain check?"

Andy
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 08:56:58 AM by Andy Doyle »

Joe Hancock

Re:Kinderlou Forest (DL III)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 06:37:11 AM »
Andy,

Sometimes cool threads just slip down the page for no apparent reason. I enjoyed you're story and write up. Nice quality pictures, too!

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 08:40:28 AM »
Andy,
I played Kinderlou in March, and we moved up to the third set of tees, which was still around 6700 yds.  We had the feeling, and it was only a feeling, that the course would play much, much shorter than the yardage in the summers when south Georgia gets baked out.

I loved the course.  I thought the routing around the ravine was very cool, and the greens were so varied (a biarritz green shortly after a green that I thought was almost a biarritz!)  I think this course will gradually come to be more appreciated, even though it has already gotten some recognition, as people find their way to a somewhat out-of-the-way location.  For anyone on their way up or down I-75, it is well worth the trip.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

JakaB

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 09:00:22 AM »
Andy,

Please consolidate the two threads you started last night on this same course...

I must have played around 6700yds myself because the course didn't feel long at all....as a matter of fact the second shot on the par five second wasn't blind at all...

I had heard there would be golf cottages...any word on that.

Andy Doyle

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 09:09:46 AM »
Joe:

Thanks!

AG:

I suspect you are right about the firmness of the course.  I was surprised at how firm it was even though there had been a fair amount of rain around the time I played (March 9th and 14th).  There are some awfully long uphill holes as well, e.g. the 18th (more on that later).

I was also surprised by how good of shape the course was in even though it has only been open for a year.  I think it will get only better the more it matures.

They only charged me $35 to play mid-week, which was a great deal for this nice of a course (included cart and range balls).  As you know, anywhere around Atlanta and this would easily be $100+.

AD

Andy Doyle

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 09:23:18 AM »
John:

I put a link to the thread on the first 3 holes under the original posting.

The Kinderlou website has shows a 5-section master plan:

http://www.kinderlou.com/living_master_plan.html

There is a section dedicated to smaller "garden homes" and town homes.  The website indicates the townhome section will be done in early 2006, but I didn't get over to that section of the course (holes 7 & 8) to see what progress there has been.  Overall, it appears they have put in a lot of the infrastructure, but there was not a lot of house-building activity.

AD

JakaB

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 09:29:55 AM »
Andy,

If you enjoy the dramatic you really missed out later on the front nine....Did you get any information on how inexpensive the memberships are.  I had the impression this course was a gift to the community..

John_Cullum

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 09:43:46 AM »
I am surprised that the front nine was closed for repair on a new course. What is the nature of the problem?
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Andy Doyle

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 09:53:08 AM »
John:

Believe me, I tried my best to fit in the front 9 - I risked life and marriage.  After being limited to the back 9 on my way down to Florida, I decided I could fit in the front on a quick stop on my way back to Atlanta, this after playing 18 in Orlando that morning.  I neglected to tell my wife about this little side trip, thinking she might not be so understanding as she had already been watching the kids for 5 days while I played golf in Orlando.

I grew up down here & know all about southern thunderstorms, but I just about got myself killed by this one.  I was hoping it would blow over/around, but it caught me far from the clubhouse in an open, exposed, hilly area.  Moments after I took the picture above I came to my senses and headed to the clubhouse, only to have all hell break loose around me - the lightning that usually fronts these storms started popping all around me, followed by very heavy rain and hail.  Very stupid on my part.

I've got my rain check though, and usually drive to Orlando 3-4 times a year to visit my Mom, so I'm sure I'll finally get a chance to see the rest of the course.

I didn't take the time on either stop to ask questions about the development or memberships.  It's a very nice course and appears to be a nice development, but I can't imagine this area would support a very expensive club or development.  No offense to south Georgia (my Mom's relatives are all from around Sylvester) but it's not exactly a high-end destination or retirement area.

AD

Andy Doyle

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 09:55:07 AM »
John C:

They told me it was some work on a bridge - I don't know where or which one.  When I asked if I could tour the front 9, they told me I wouldn't be able to get through because of this work.  ???

AD

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back