News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

Shivas

Spot on.

Fort Sheridan was the Army base there.  There was a golf course that played around the base, but it wasn't much of a course.

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

JakaB

Good news for all you young fathers out there....I lived in Lake County for four years right after we had our first baby and only played 7 out of the 141 courses Shivas mentioned.   I wouldn't have changed a thing...unless I would have been invited that is...

Joel_Stewart

Interesting execise.   I had 68 courses of which their are really 63 since I don't coun't driving ranges and putt-putt courses which are mis-marked.   I've played 40 which is lower than I expected.

Rich_M

I live in Phoenixville PA and have always lived in the suburban Phila area.  There are 140 courses within 25 miles and I've played 82 of them.  Probably more of a whooer than a homer.

Pete Stankevich

I've got 54 of the 95 within a 25 mile radius.
It's so easy to be a whooer in Connecticut.

Bill Gayne

Played 28 out of 35. Twenty of which I will probably never play again by choice.

Mike McGuire

Fun exercise ..

46 of 54 including everything....make that 55 ..found a new course not listed, meandering on the way home tonight.

.. and The Glen Club

Andrew Summerell

Royal Melbourne
 Long Grove, IL

Shivas,

I've got to ask. Is there really a Royal Melbourne, Long Grove, IL, because I played Royal Melbourne last Friday & I wasn't in Long Grove or America.

Andrew

A_Clay_Man

So much for all the economic and demographic models. I have 4 courses listed within 25 miles and one is a 9 holer. Ok, Ok, so it's a nine holer with an Oakmont connection.

But I did golf 18 holes in 2;05 yesterday.

Evan Fleisher

22 area courses within 25 miles...but some of those are counted more than once due to either multiple nines, or an additional par-3 course or whatever.

I've played 14 of the 22 listed, and the remaining 8 are a par-3 course, two 9-hole layouts and five 18-holers.

BTW...got your Chicago count beat Jaka!!!...19 of Shivas's 141 for me!!!  8)
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Doug Wright

58 of about 80 (excluding par 3s and driving ranges) from this out of date list of the Denver metro area.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Mike_Cirba

Man,

What do you guys have against nine-holers, executive, and par three courses?

I'm disappointed that this bunch of purists would so easily dismiss such alternatives or deny themselves the pleasure of a quick, fun round.

I could easily make an argument that they are going to be the survivors in the coming retrenchment.

Allan Long

Of the 45 within 25 miles, I have played 34. However, many of those were played in the first few years of me moving to this part of the country. In the last 2-3 years, I have found myself playing the same few courses more and more rather than venturing out to play a course I haven't.

At first, I wanted to see everything. But now, if I know a nearby course is not very good, I won't play it just to add another notch in my belt. I would rather play somewhere that holds my interest and challenges my game.
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

mike_malone

148 clubs found-played 70 of them. Brings back many memories.
AKA Mayday

Brad Swanson

Since I only play maybe 2 or 3 times a month on average, I usually stick with courses that I know are good most of the time.  I guess that would make me a homer (DOH!).  Back in my playing days in Denver I had a 3 course rotation that eventually dwindled down to one (Riverdale Dunes).

Cheers,
Brad Swanson

Mike_Cirba

Man,

What do you guys have against nine-holers, executive, and par three courses?

I'm disappointed that this bunch of purists would so easily dismiss such alternatives or deny themselves the pleasure of a quick, fun round.

I could easily make an argument that they are going to be the survivors in the coming retrenchment.

Mike, I'm starting a new golf society called  DOGPOOP  (Dave's Organization for Golfers of Perfectly Ordinary, Overplayed Places)

I hereby invite you to be my second member.  Please come to Chicago, and DOGPOOP will spring for your greens fees on a whirlwind tour of Jackson Park GC, Marquette Park, Edgebrook, Billy Caldwell, Peter Jans, Robert A. Black and the Chick Evans golf courses.  

Dave,

I'm already a charter member of said organization in various US Cities, including New York, Newark, Philly, Baltimore, DC, New Orleans, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, Dallas, and San Diego...there's probably more I'm not thinking of...

I'd love to take that Chicago tour...as far as Peter Jans, I think I'd stop by there even if I had an itinerary filled with Shoreacres, Medinah, Butler, and Chicago Golf...

http://www.evanstonroundtable.com/rt2004/roundtable050504/artlife.html

It sounds ideal.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 12:10:50 PM by Mike_Cirba »

Tim Taylor

I have played 37 of the 102 courses within a 25 mile radius of my home course, Hidden Creek CC in Reston, VA. This includes my "old" club, Loudoun GCC, a few privates, and a bunch of publics.

There are a lot of exclusive clubs in the 25 mile radius - Congressional, Columbia, Chevy Chase, RTJ, Four Streams, Bretton Woods, River Bend - that I'll probably never play.

Tim T

A_Clay_Man

Please come to Chicago, and DOGPOOP will spring for your greens fees on a whirlwind tour of Jackson Park GC, Marquette Park, Edgebrook, Billy Caldwell, Peter Jans, Robert A. Black and the Chick Evans golf courses.  

I've never met The Big C, but I can almost gaurantee he would drop his jaw more than a few times at just how cool some of that old chicago architecture really is. Especially at Jackson Pk. Even Waveland has some holes that are pure classics. And anybody who doesn't get the intimacy( or the railroad bridge) at Evanston Community, is just asleep. South Shore CC is another worth seeing. No matter how far off the magazine rankings "Best list" they are.

Mike_Cirba

I've never met The Big C, but I can almost gaurantee he would drop his jaw more than a few times at just how cool some of that old chicago architecture really is. Especially at Jackson Pk. Even Waveland has some holes that are pure classics. And anybody who doesn't get the intimacy( or the railroad bridge) at Evanston Community, is just asleep. South Shore CC is another worth seeing. No matter how far off the magazine rankings "Best list" they are.

Adam,

I can almost guarantee you that I'd love them.  

In fact, I'm getting the strong sense that when I finally do get out to Chicago, I'd be better served not telling anyone from this group and just heading out on this "trail", rather than trying to put together some itinerary of Olympia Fields, Chicago, Cog Hill, etc...

I bet I would learn just as much about architecture and a hell of a lot more about the city and its people.   ;D

Mark_Rowlinson

Royal Liverpool, Wallasey, caldy, Heswall, West Lancs, Formby, S&A, Hillside and Royal Birkdale are just a bit more than 25 miles from my home even as the crow flies but all are within an hour's drive.  Nearer to home, within a genuine 25-mile radius, are around 100 courses including some minor gems by Mackenzie (Cavendish and Reddish Vale), Colt (Prestbury), Fowler (Delamere Forest) and Ray/Colt (Sandiway).  In 1993 I played all 83 courses then extant in Cheshire (it's over 100 now), a relatively small county no more than 40 miles across, ranging from Royal Liverpool to woefully neglected 9-hole municipal tracks of unknown provenance.  We have a wonderful variety of styles of course.  Sadly our proximity to several major conurbations and the huge wealth of the top slice of local society means that green fees have increased many-fold since 1993 (when, I must admit, I played them all - except the munis - for nothing).

Paul Richards

Adam:

I just checked my spreadsheet, and I've played over 160 courses in the state of Illinois.  The vast majority, I'm guessing, would be in the Chicagoland area.

Mike Cirba:

Please make your arrangements to visit Chicago.

When you 'cherry-pick' your courses, I'll be happy to point you in the right direction to those you 'need to see'!!

;) ;) ;)
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Mike_Cirba

Paul,

Each of the past two years I've been hoping to get there, only to have my plans fall though due to other issues.

As John Kavanaugh consistently reminds me, I have a big HOLE in my resume in the midwest.   ;D

JakaB

Mike,

If Matt Ward was skipper of your boat that big hole would have already sunk it....when you get to Beverly face south and blow me a kiss..

Mike_Cirba

John,

I'll do better than that.  

That ring you hear will be me on your doorstep.  

"Can Johnny come out and play Peter Jans with me?"

A_Clay_Man

It is odd that I criticize Chicagoland GCA, yet recall fondly that most of the core principles exist in some of the oddest places.

Holes like the 4th, 7th, 9th, 11th & 12th at Jackson Park. Or the 3-8 stretch at Waveland. (Please note; I left off the 2nd hole, site of my first eagle from 145 yds. ty) All had (I sure hope they haven't been American golfified) features similar to, but not the conditions of, some of the best in the game.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back