News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Mandel

GREEN FIX
« on: May 06, 2005, 05:03:06 PM »
Does anyone here have any information on the Greenfix system.  More specifically, the TURF QUALITY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM developed by Danny Edwards.

This is a new method of fixing ball marks with a different type of divot tool.  Does anyone have experience with it and does it look like a promising way to fix ball marks and the overall health of greens?

Jason Mandel
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Sean McCue

Re:GREEN FIX
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 06:22:35 PM »
It is no different than any other repair tool.  Just repairing the ball mark or any ball mark for that matter is a step in the right direction. ;)
Be sure to visit my blog at www.cccpgcm.blogspot.com and follow me on twitter @skmqu

Brad Klein

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 07:05:49 PM »
It's completely different; doesn't sheer roots of the ball mark. We did a series of stories on it in Golfweek (by Jim Achenbach) and myself (SuperNews) last fall. I use it all the time and have tossed all my old pitch mark tools. At clubs that systematically adhere to the program there's some good evidence of impressive results.

Jason Mandel

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 07:29:29 PM »
Thanks for the info Brad.  As of NOW our club has completely banned "regular" divot tools as we know them.

We are going completely to this new GREEN FIX and our Super is convinced that it could really be a big improvement.

Our Super put a little example in our recent newsletter and went out and marked one of the par 3s with irrigation flags for every pitch mark, he ran out of his 800 flags 1/3 of the way through!

Now every green isn't affected like this but I'm interested to see if we see a noticeable difference.  The company is touting that it will do to the greens what soft spikes did, I guess that remains to be seen.

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 07:48:04 PM »
As always the big issue is not what tool to use but how to get the golfers to use almost ANYTHING to fix divots!  It is such a shame to walk on a nice green and have to start fixing many divots.

Anybody have purchasing info?  Thanks.

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 09:59:18 PM »
I do know the website is

www.greenfixgolf.com

i have a sample divot tool and have used it. It clearly does repair in a different "motion" and has the studies to back it...

Brad Klein

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 05:55:01 AM »
Bill McBride, I know there's some debate about Green Fix. Some, like USGA Green Section director Jim Snow, argue it's just another tool. But what I've seen and what some early studies suggest is that the GreenFix thing is easier to use properly and virtually impossible to use improperly in a way that would damage the turf. Conventional divot tools are extremely easy to use wrongly, and when used wrongly, they do more damage than if the ballmark had never been fixed at all.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 06:01:29 AM by Brad Klein »

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 06:29:45 AM »
I guess I'm for some advances in golf agronomy but to me ball marks are just a part of golf--always have been. If a ball mark is in your line the rules of golf provide for you to fix them. It may give some greens a sort of spotty look sometimes, but hey, frankly I like the look of multi-colored and mottled putting greens---they look more natural to me. Golf's agronomy seems to get more hybrid every year and because it does it seems to require ever increasing remediation of one kind or another. A large industry has grown up around the remediation of golf's agronomy in case you haven't noticed.  ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 07:18:49 AM »
"Do your architect-friends know about your obssession with heterogeneity of green surfaces?  All that money spent by owners on single cloned cultivars to give the apprearance of green paint, all for naught in your eyes?"

Oh yeah. But I'm not much of an agronomist, that's for sure. But maybe things are coming back some. Haven't you heard that some agronomists around the world are now thinking about working with poa annua both scientifically and experimentally? It looks like their theory to some extent may be---if you can't beat it at least try to join it somehow!  ;)

If putting green surface firmness is at that point that catches the "Ideal Maintenance Meld" redanman you ain't going to be putting any pitch mark craters in them any more! I don't care who you think you are---it just won't be happening. Light dent--no more!

Brad Klein

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 08:03:30 AM »
"they don't work on the meteor crater pitchmarks my wedges and short irons leave."

Oh, c'mon Redanman, you can't resist . . .

Ken Fry

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 09:04:18 AM »
Is it me or do you notice as golfers get older their pitch marks resemble an issue in their shorts:  skids....

Joe Hancock

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2005, 09:13:40 AM »
Ken....

You are a sick man, and I suggest you get out and play golf with three older members this coming week. The therapy begins when you imagine the "skid marks" you repair on the green is the same act as having a nurse clean you up in you're impending days at the Manor! ;D

By the way, my instinct ever since this thread started has been to post something along these lines:

GREEN FIX= Manage the irrgation to the point of allowing off colors, and reasonable mowing heights, for healths sake.

Anyways....carry on....

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Craig Sweet

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2005, 10:29:49 AM »
Recommended way to fix play marks.

http://www.gcsaa.org/resources/facts/ballmarks.asp
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2005, 12:46:20 PM »
I do know the website is

www.greenfixgolf.com

Here's a quote from Danny Edwards' bio on this page:

"In 1981, Danny won the Taiheiyo Japanese Masters, the international equivalent of the US Masters."

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2005, 02:27:06 PM »
I do know the website is

www.greenfixgolf.com

Here's a quote from Danny Edwards' bio on this page:

"In 1981, Danny won the Taiheiyo Japanese Masters, the international equivalent of the US Masters."

Hey, I just bookmark 'em, I don't vouch for them!! :wink:

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back