News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Dormant Fairways
« on: April 18, 2005, 10:47:04 AM »
At my course in Minnesota the fairways are very hard and so dormant that they are almost a bright white color.  The greens and rough are greening up after a recent rain and a very warm two weeks (highs in 60's to 70's. lows well above freezing).  Other courses are greening up in the fairways.

Our fairways actually make a really fun playing surface.  They are running very fast and I am regularly hitting driver for my second shot on par fives.

I wonder, however, if there is a problem with them.  I don't recall them remaining so totally dormant in past years.

I believe they are bent grass, but am not sure.  The course was built in the 60's. The fairways are generally cut pretty short but provide good lies, with the turf being a bit thicker than at any more modern course with bent fairways.  It also appears to me that there is a pretty thick layer of thatch.

The soil is very sandy.  They have not irrigated yet.

Is there cause for concern?  

Dan Kelly

Re:Dormant Fairways
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 11:16:41 AM »
Jason --

I've seen lots of those fairways, as I've been driving around town.

I'm no agronomist, but...

I don't think they're dormant; I think they're dead.

I hope I'm wrong.

We do better around here, it seems, with snow cover and endless cold. This very strange winter just past, with so little snow and such large temperature fluctuations, appears to have been VERY hard on uncovered turf.

Dan
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Rick Shefchik

Fast, firm and dead
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 03:00:08 PM »
Jason -- As a fellow Minnesota golfer, I was going to begin a post on the same subject today and title it "Fast, firm and dead." Because that's what the fairways are, according to the superintendent at my course -- dead.

I understand that many Twin Cities course, both public and private, are experiencing the same problem this spring. A big snowfall in late winter, then a quick warmup followed by a hard freeze is apparently the culprit.

I'm told the only solution is to aerate and overseed this spring, but I don't know anything about agronomy, so things might not be as bleak as they appear. No matter what happens in Minnesota, the grass usually looks pretty green by mid-July.

I agree that it would be fun to play these kinds of conditions, as opposed to soft, green and wet, but I think dead grass turns to bare dirt pretty fast.

If anybody knows of a public course in the Twin Cities that has decent fairways, I'd be glad to see the information posted here.

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 03:15:10 PM »
Rick - Stoneridge's fairways are coming in well.  I know they had big problems a couple of years ago but this year they look good.  

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 03:44:54 PM »
Well, if it's just the fairways, that's not so bad. I know some clubs had problems with greens as well. I know Golden Valley has four temps and North Oaks and White Bear YC got it really bad on their greens.

My place isn't in too bad of shape. All greens are good and we only have one really, really bad fairways.

Jeff

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back