News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

A Golf Design Syllabus
« on: April 14, 2005, 07:52:10 PM »
As a golf instructor, I seek to enrich learning golf in a bunch of different ways. One of those ways I've tried is through course architecture history and what not.

I've had moderate success but would appreciate any input as to a basic syllabus for talking about course design, i.e. where to begin, major points to make, etc.

I generally assume my students know little to nothing about golf design.

I have some ideas as well, but would like to see what you guys can think of as well.

Jonathan McCord

Re:A Golf Design Syllabus
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 07:59:18 PM »
    Kyle, I would certainly start at golfs roots, St. Andrews.  From their you could go many different directions, such as types of courses, architects work, or classic vs. modern.  However for a broad overview, I think types of courses would be a great place to start.

Penal, Strategic, Natural, Heroic, Framing, and Freeway schools of design.  Geoff Shackelford uses these in his book Grounds for Golf.  If you haven't read it would be a definate help.

That should get you started.

"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 08:13:14 PM »
Jonathan,

I definately have read "Grounds for Golf," and you're right, it provides an excellent starting point. (I've used a lot from it in my attempts already).

I usually do this during the course of a playing lesson.

I generally try to touch on architectural features, i.e. "Redan" holes etc. The idea being that by reading design features you can improve your mental aptitude at the game.

The block typically happens when I start to talk about St. Andrews (Forrest Richardson's book has an excellent chapter on its evolution), etc. It's hard for me to adequately describe what I am trying to describe as it is pertinent to the situation at hand: a blind approach or run-up shot, for example.

James Bennett

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 09:52:29 PM »
Kyle

I found Doak's architecture book an excellent base.  The first real lesson for me was penal/strategic/heroic, and that each golf course combines these three, albeit with different emphasis.  His example of Augusta #11 (strategic), #12 (penal) and #13 (heroic, although it is probably a combination of all 3 depending on what route you take) was a necessary first step for me in my limited understanding.  The understanding of 'the line of charm', the difference between fairway bunkers and rough bunkers, hazards that can't be avoided and those that can etc seemed to me to progress from that first step.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 10:32:24 PM »
James,

If you're talking "Anatomy of a Golf Course" I know it well, and I think you are on to something. Especially with the hazard placement and demanding to be challenged instead of just avoided.

Very interesting way to tie in course management and architecture. I've often told a student on a tee box that he had to make a choice in whether he wanted an easy tee shot or an easy approach, and that choice happened now.

James Bennett

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 11:49:52 PM »
Kyle

thats the one, and my copy is less than 6 months old!  :)  The part that I found initially confusing was that all three types (strategic/penal and heroic) will be found on a golf course, if you look for them.  At times, the golden age architects are portrayed (to a novice) as 100% strategic whereas their predecessors were 100% penal.  Probably a change in balance/emphasis of style in reality.

Not sure what you prceed to in the second lesson.  There might be some guide from Doak's book.  In my case, I wanted to know what the hell is a Redan, Alps, Biarritz, Short, Long etc etc (remember, I'm from Oz, so I understand something of MacKenzie, but don't have a clue about Ross, Flynn, Raynor, Colt, MacDonald, Crump etc etc).  I'm encouraged to pursue and value false fronts and short grass after getting an understanding of these concepts.

I reckon the aerial of the National (NGLA) would probably be a good third lesson.  Saw that for the first time the other day.  I've got to print that one soon and look at it in detail.  Perhaps throw in a few other classic holes that they would know.  Easier to understand the concepts on famous holes (Riveira #10).

have fun.  Hope these juvenile ramblings help.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 10:28:48 AM »
I would encourage you to look at Golf by Design by Robert Trent Jones, Jr.  Though not as PC on this board as the writings by Geoff and Tom, it is a good introductory book into the world of golf course design.  

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 11:06:10 AM »
Chris,

That was actually the first book I ever bought that broached the subject of architecture. Suffice it to say, it had some early influence, but I haven't opened it in years. I'll take a look.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 11:45:09 AM »
Kyle,

Get everyone, from no nothing TV commentators, to so called golf writers and then the neophyte golfer, to learn the difference between a pitch and a chip and you will be on your way.

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 11:50:09 AM »
You should read "Golf Architecture in America" by Geo Thomas and "The Links" by Robert Hunter, probably the two finest golf architecture books ever written. Some today may think some of the stuff in them may be dated today but I don't think so---some enduring stuff in those books!

Bill Gayne

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2005, 12:04:50 PM »
1. Incorporate photographs from local courses that they can go see the design features in person.

2. Give them a portion of a topo map and ask them draw three holes (par three, four, and five). If you have ten people in the class you will probably get ten completely dfifferent routings. Have them explain the reasons behind the drawings. Set parameters that they have to follow such as wetlands, limited tree cutting, slopes on greens, number of tee boxes, cart paths, beginning and ending points. etc.

ed_getka

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2005, 06:16:22 PM »
For me Situation Golf by Palmer was what started my interest in architecture. How the 3 levels of players would approach playing a hole taught me a lot about strategy and how to think about golf holes.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back