News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re:Tom MacWood's George Arthur Crump: Portrait of a Legend...
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2005, 01:11:30 AM »
Tom MacWood,

# 5 at Somerset Hills, or even # 13 with the hump rising behind the trough.

# 1 at NGLA, although # 6 would qualify as well.

The mounds at # 12 at GCGC were at the perimeter, and not the center of the green as are most others.  I don't find the mound at # 18 at PV to be as "sharp" or as "harsh" of a feature.

And, I find its function far, far different from the mounds at the 12th at GCGC.

T_MacWood

« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2005, 01:20:05 AM »
#5 at SHCC has a three foot mound?

Every green with a significant slope or contour is the same as an disctinctive internal mound?  IMO the mounds at #12 GCGC and #18 PVGC were totally unique.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 10:56:36 AM by Tom MacWood »

TEPaul

« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2005, 05:45:07 AM »
"Every green with a significant slope or contour is the same as an disctinctive internal mound? :)

Tom:

I think that's what Pat is asking you. But now you seem to be asking him the same question. This discussion is therefore becoming circular.

I think Pat's saying, and I agree, that comparing (identifying similarities)  in internal contouring within greens just because it's convex (even to the height of about three feet) really doesn't mean much or serve much purpose unless there's similarity in shape. The long running in-line convex contours on the original 12th at GCGC look like internal berms in the putting surface and those were about as different in shape from the old "pimple" on PVGC's #18 as they could be. So Pat said the only comparison is that they're convex (maybe to the tune of 3' in height). The very large convex contours in the rear of Somerset Hill's #5 are also very radical in immediate convex height (they may not be 3' high but probably not much less). But they are a different shape and configuration from the others---so the similarities begin to cease---unless again one wants to just compare contours for height and convexity which isn't that useful if one is trying to make a comparison of features from course to course or architect to architect.

TEPaul

« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2005, 06:40:43 AM »
Pat Mucci responded;

"But, let me see if I understand you.
Crump builds the 18th green with an internal hump.
A hump that was his idea from concept through construction.
A hump that was in existance for many years before that noted architect John Arthur Brown decided to remove it.
And because I like what Crump put into the ground, what he conceived, built and maintained, I"m accused of having no concern or respect for historical documentation ?  ?  ?

You've got it all wrong.
John Arthur Brown and/or the club had no concern or respect for historical documentation.
Crump himself thought of the idea and he felt so strongly about it, that it was such a good idea, that he built that green in accordance with his concept of having a hump at it's center."

Pat:

If you care (which you probably don’t) to understand me, and PVGC, and the 1921 Advisory Committee, and the so-called “remembrances”, as they all apply to the “pimple” on the 18th green you should read my posts on page #3 as they apply to the importance and significance of those “remembrances”. For your benefit, I’ll quote them here as they pertain to the “pimple” on #18 green

Father Carr;
#18 hole;
‘He (Crump) always intended to modify the hump in the green into a heavy roll reaching to the right hand corner to give the player who sliced the ball onto the green a more difficult put (sic) than the player who plays straight to the center.’

W.P. Smith;
18th hole;
‘10/10/17   He will take out the hump on the green when he gets ready. He put it there to test if anything could be designed to penalize a sliced shot, the green being so large a bad slice might stay on it. He will put in a roll instead of a hump….’

Since George Crump never really recorded in writing himself his feelings about the golf course, apparently only telling some of his closest friends there which primarily were Carr and Smith, documentation of what he intended that hump or “pimple” on #18 green to be and what he intended to do with it doesn’t get much better and much clearer than that. If you’ll notice, Smith’s remarks appear to be perhaps in the form of a diary!!

Of course you can just tend to ignore it or discount it if it doesn’t suit your particular purpose but I don’t do that and apparently J.A. Brown and PVGC didn’t either. Obviously, if they removed it because they understood from this document that’s what Crump was going to do, I think perhaps they might have done a bit better job of doing what he wanted to do eventually on that green. I have no real idea if Brown actually referred to those "remembrances" when he decided to remove that "pimple"---he may not have---he may've just had it removed because by all reports it was a crazy feature. To say it was a penalizing feature for balls to the right of it if the pin was on the other side was probably an understatement and apparently Crump understood that and that was probably why he intended to replace it with a 'heavy roll' to the right corner as Smith explained (unfortunately that was never really done!).

The thing that most, certainly including you, don’t seem to understand about Crump and PVGC is a number of things he did on that course he, himself, considered to be temporary features that would serve until he had the time to go back and do them better. A number of those features he considered to be temporary were a number of bunkers that ironically are still on the golf course! There were apparently a number of mounds that he considered temporary features but most all of those were removed early, particularly on the recommendation of Hugh Alison in his hole by hole recommendation report to the club for the 1921 Advisory Committee---most of which recommendation from Alison were accepted by the committee and done.

Even a few greens and many features and contours of them he considered temporary and not good enough to remain---eg needing some form of alteration or even to be moved or removed. This included green #3, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #11, #12, #17 and #18! Many of those greens were redone in one form or another mostly by Alison and then Perry Maxwell a bit later.

Again, you may not care or have any respect for that documentation but PVGC and the 1921 Advisory Committee certainly did as they were attempting to finish that golf course as best they could determine what Crump would have and wanted to do. They had that much respect for Crump and what he’d done for them with that golf course! And that was the reason they asked Carr and Smith to compile their “remembrances” of what Crump had discussed with them on a hole by hole basis. That document---Carr and Smith’s “remembrances” is the basis with which the 1921 Advisory committee worked with Alison and his hole by hole recommendation report to finish off the golf course in 1921 and 1922 (a few things being finished a few years later, and even a few things that were approved never being done!).

Again, perhaps you don’t care about documentation like that if it doesn’t suit your particular purpose today but I don’t feel that way. When you’re lucky enough to have good historical documentation I believe you should consider it very carefully, use it and follow it if you have respect for the man responsible for the golf course if it’s a good golf course----and the world’s #1, PVGC, certainly is that.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 06:54:09 AM by TEPaul »

Willie_Dow

« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2005, 07:06:57 AM »
Tom et all

Do you think the speed of play at Pine Valley got into the minds of the current (or previous) higherups, and they changed the contour of some of the greens ?

Faster greens = slower play !

TEPaul

« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2005, 07:43:57 AM »
"Tom et all
Do you think the speed of play at Pine Valley got into the minds of the current (or previous) higherups, and they changed the contour of some of the greens ?
Faster greens = slower play!"

Willie:

I don't believe so but I don't belong to PVGC---I only study the place and the course and have for a number of years. In the modern age PVGC has done very little of recontouring greens and where they have I very much doubt anyone on this board would be aware of or ever notice except perhaps the fairly well known right front of #5.

But if you're referring to the green redesigns that basically only Alison and Maxwell did early on---no, that phase had nothing really to do with recontouring in the name of greenspeed or increased greenspeed. Those redesigns only had to do with the quality of the actual play on those holes and greens. Many just weren't right, some were far too radical (basically some of that severe green radicalness early on was simply too small in overall space!) even for the teens.

Many of those problems Crump understood and intended to alter himself and fix (had he lived) and much of that is part of the PVGC record in their archives. A few others that are not exactly mentioned (in the archives) it was completely obvious within the first few years of play----they simply weren't working properly and apparently there was virtually noone who did NOT understand that.

Those particular greens, most all done by Alison and two by Maxwell, are today some of the best greens on the golf course---but of course that's not an easy thing to say because almost every putting green at PVGC is virtually world class. Sometimes some forget that that alone is one of the true strengths of PVGC. That cannot be said about many golf courses in this world. I have virtually never seen or heard anyone say that as a set PVGC's putting greens are not one of the very finest sets in the entire world. Some may not think of that about PVGC as often as they perhaps should because there's so much more that's so interesting down there----but it is true!

« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 08:06:29 AM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2005, 08:05:34 AM »
Even when PVGC did more RPY (rounds per year) slow play was probably never really a problem---not like it is with many other courses of this world. They probably took RPY down some simply because members were finding it too hard to schedule for the type of convenience they may have been looking for or hoping for.

Why is slow play not really a problem at PVGC? Well, that's a good question but if you ask me a lot of it probably has to do with my old buddy Lenny Ward who all who come there can find right around the front door of the clubhouse somewhere around his little booth.

Sometimes I call Lenny "The King of Pine Valley" and he generally responds; "Oh Come on!" but in a real way he is that because he's been there forever, his family is generational there, there's nothing he doesn't know about the club or the course and he just makes it all happen on that course even if he obviously can't be ubiquitous.

How does he manage to keep things moving out there? Well, a lot of that is probably his secrets but in my opinion moving along is just something anyone there senses and understands and if they don't it's one of the few places in the world I've ever seen where the caddies will tell their players and just make it happen and if their players don't listen, well, somewhere, somehow, something is gonna give and it wll be mnimized. (The caddies I've seen who've suggested their group should be picking it up and moving along invariable tend to quote or bring up the subject of ultra autocrat John Arthur Brown and some of the ways he used to deal with slow play or anyone who remotely got in the way of his apparently clipped pace around the golf course! It sounded like any group who got in his way was somewhat akin to a Mini-Cooper driving in the passing lane at about 25 mph as a tandem train of Mack trucks rolled over it going 75 MPH!).

Not just does Lenny, his caddie cadre, and the ethos he obviously fosters make it happen---keeps things moving along but the fascinating thing is it happens in ways that noone really notices or is ever aware of.

That aspect of PVGC, in my opinion, is pure genius and has been for eons. Not infrequently, in committee meetings at my own club if slow play or compaction issues come up (which hardly ever happens anyway at GMGC), invariably discussion turns to PVGC and Lenny and how to do the things he does. It's never duplicated that well though because other clubs aren't PV and other clubs don't have a total genius this way like Lenny Ward!

Slow play at PVGC? Forgetabouit!!!  
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 08:10:42 AM by TEPaul »

T_MacWood

« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2005, 11:12:33 AM »
TE
There have been numerous greens with bold convex and concave contours--the 5th at Somerset Hills, some Biarritz holes, greens that feature the horseshoe, #1 at NGLA, Travis side saddle Biarritz greens at Columbia and Lookout Point, etc. (most of these were built after the famous 12th at GCGC).

Although these greens all share a similar boldness, IMO the 12th at GCGC was unique (as was the mound at PV, and I assume the mounds at Whitemarsh), which is probably one reason why none of them survived. The PV mound had the double whammy of apparently living on borrrowed time in Crump's plans as well.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2005, 12:21:37 PM »
Tom MacWood,
#5 at SHCC has a three foot mound?
I believe it's in the rear of the green.
[/color]

Every green with a significant slope or contour is the same as an disctinctive internal mound?  

How can you describe mounds at the edge of a green as internal ?  They are at the perimeter, forming a punchbowl green, internally.
[/color]

IMO the mounds at #12 GCGC and #18 PVGC were totally unique.

Then by your own definition, if the mounds at # 12 at GCGC and the mound at # 18 at PV are totally UNIQUE, they
CAN'T BE THE SAME.

I agree that they're unique, and as such, they don't resemble each other in appearance, structure, location or function.
[/color]

TEPaul

« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2005, 04:12:27 PM »
"Although these greens all share a similar boldness, IMO the 12th at GCGC was unique (as was the mound at PV, and I assume the mounds at Whitemarsh), which is probably one reason why none of them survived. The PV mound had the double whammy of apparently living on borrrowed time in Crump's plans as well.

Tom:

I'm just not familiar or aware of whatever it was at original Whitemarsh that you're referring to as unique or as some reproduction of the 12th green at GCGC.

But the feature on PVGC's #18 and the green contours on GCGC's original 12th surely were unique in appearance. I'm not sure if you're saying or implying that you think that's a wonderful thing and something that makes them far more worthy of preservation or restoration but if that's what you are saying, you, like anyone else, does need to consider as well how they work and perform in play.

I don't care how unique something on a golf course looks if it doesn't also work well enough and interesting enough on a golf course in play it will never survive.

I don't know the history of why the 12th at GCGC or it's mimic at Whitemarsh was removed but I do know the history of the "pimple" on PVGC's #18 and no matter how unique it was or looked it was just not performing well in play and apparenly Crump and his friends understood that almost as soon as it was built and that's precisely why they all said what they did about it and what they planned to do to replace it.

If you or Pat think all this doesn't matter and just because something looked unique it shouldn't have been removed and should now be restored, I, for one, would not agree with either of you. I love the unique looking in golf architecture but frirst and foremost it also has to work well enough in play.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2005, 04:53:13 PM »
TEPaul,

If you care (which you probably don’t) to understand me, and PVGC, and the 1921 Advisory Committee, and the so-called “remembrances”, as they all apply to the “pimple” on the 18th green you should read my posts on page #3 as they apply to the importance and significance of those “remembrances”. For your benefit, I’ll quote them here as they pertain to the “pimple” on #18 green.

Father Carr;
#18 hole;
‘He (Crump) always intended to modify the hump in the green into a heavy roll reaching to the right hand corner to give the player who sliced the ball onto the green a more difficult put (sic) than the player who plays straight to the center.

W.P. Smith;
18th hole;
‘10/10/17   He will take out the hump on the green when he gets ready. He put it there to test if anything could be designed to penalize a sliced shot, the green being so large a bad slice might stay on it. He will put in a roll instead of a hump….’

But, the fact is that Crump didn't touch that green.

The above two statements could be the result of Crump's musings or whimsical remarks to either of those parties or others.

If Crump felt so strongly about altering the 18th green:

A.   Why didn't he do it ?
B.   If he wanted a roll why did JAB remove the hump and not
     replace it with the roll Crump allegedly wanted ?
C.   You can't have it both ways, you either have to restore
      the hump as Crump conceived, designed and constructed
      it, or alter it to Crump's alleged intended configuration.
D.   You can't endorse leaving it as it is.
E    Crump and others recognized the inadequacies of that
      bowl of a green.
F    Put the current green side by side with the old green with
     the hump in the middle, and then let me know if there's
     anyone on the planet that would elect the current
     green as a more interesting, functional green.
[/color]

Since George Crump never really recorded in writing himself his feelings about the golf course,

Stop right there.
Crump's INTENT is clearly evidence by what he actually BUILT
[/color]

apparently only telling some of his closest friends there which primarily were Carr and Smith, documentation of what he intended that hump or “pimple” on #18 green to be and what he intended to do with it doesn’t get much better and much clearer than that. If you’ll notice, Smith’s remarks appear to be perhaps in the form of a diary!!

What are the dates of Smith and Carr's remarks ?

Are we now to accept hearsay as the gospel on what an architect wanted to do, despite his refusal to carry out what others indicate are his alleged intentions ?

ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER THEN WORDS, especially the words of others.
[/color]

Of course you can just tend to ignore it or discount it if it doesn’t suit your particular purpose but I don’t do that and apparently J.A. Brown and PVGC didn’t either.

For once you're right.
They both IGNORED what Crump wanted, and altered the green to suit their particular purpose.
[/color]

Obviously, if they removed it because they understood from this document that’s what Crump was going to do,
Baloney.
That's absurd logic.

If they understood what Crump wanted to do they would have left the hump or converted it to the roll he allegedly wanted.
[/color]

I think perhaps they might have done a bit better job of doing what he wanted to do eventually on that green. I have no real idea if Brown actually referred to those "remembrances" when he decided to remove that "pimple"---he may not have---he may've just had it removed because by all reports it was a crazy feature. To say it was a penalizing feature for balls to the right of it if the pin was on the other side was probably an understatement and apparently Crump understood that and that was probably why he intended to replace it with a 'heavy roll' to the right corner as Smith explained (unfortunately that was never really done!).

Well, at least you've made some progress in coming to grips with the fact that the green was improperly altered, contrary to Crump's original design or desired modification.
[/color]

The thing that most, certainly including you, don’t seem to understand about Crump and PVGC is a number of things he did on that course he, himself, considered to be temporary features that would serve until he had the time to go back and do them better. A number of those features he considered to be temporary were a number of bunkers that ironically are still on the golf course! There were apparently a number of mounds that he considered temporary features but most all of those were removed early, particularly on the recommendation of Hugh Alison in his hole by hole recommendation report to the club for the 1921 Advisory Committee---most of which recommendation from Alison were accepted by the committee and done.

Even if I accept your premise, then Crump's intended design for that green was forever destroyed by John Arthur Brown for his particular reasons.

Either way, it's indefensible, as is your position.
[/color]

Even a few greens and many features and contours of them he considered temporary and not good enough to remain---eg needing some form of alteration or even to be moved or removed. This included green #3, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #11, #12, #17 and #18! Many of those greens were redone in one form or another mostly by Alison and then Perry Maxwell a bit later.

Then why not alter the 18th green to his alleged design preference by converting the hump to the roll ?
[/color]

Again, you may not care or have any respect for that documentation but PVGC and the 1921 Advisory Committee certainly did as they were attempting to finish that golf course as best they could determine what Crump would have and wanted to do. They had that much respect for Crump and what he’d done for them with that golf course! And that was the reason they asked Carr and Smith to compile their “remembrances” of what Crump had discussed with them on a hole by hole basis. That document---Carr and Smith’s “remembrances” is the basis with which the 1921 Advisory committee worked with Alison and his hole by hole recommendation report to finish off the golf course in 1921 and 1922 (a few things being finished a few years later, and even a few things that were approved never being done!).
You're rambling.

The fact remains that John Arthur Brown and PV ignored Crump's original design and his alleged alteration in the 18th green that would have introduced the roll in place of the hump.

You're confused.
Crump and I are in perfect harmony.
It's you and your blind defense of Pine Valley and the destruction of Crump's architecture and the ignoring of his alleged intent that are the problem.
[/color]

Again, perhaps you don’t care about documentation like that if it doesn’t suit your particular purpose today but I don’t feel that way. When you’re lucky enough to have good historical documentation I believe you should consider it very carefully, use it and follow it if you have respect for the man responsible for the golf course if it’s a good golf course----and the world’s #1, PVGC, certainly is that.

TE, you're totally confused,
It's John Arthur Brown and PV who didn't care about documentation, not me.
They were the ones who destroyed Crump's hump.
They were the ones who ignored his alleged intent to create a roll within the green.
You should be chastising them for their failure to respect the integrity of Crump's design and ignoring his alledged intent to modify the green to include a large roll.

You need to take a step back, take off your rose colored glassed and take a strong drink of objectivity.
[/color]

« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 04:53:46 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

TEPaul

« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2005, 10:00:24 PM »
Pat:

I got about half way through reading that last post of yours and just tuned out. There wasn't any reason to continue, in my opinion, and there sure isn't any reason to respond further to you about PVGC if you skew and view what's been supplied on here the way you have. If you want to ask more questions like the ones you just did, ask them of Pine Valley directly. If you want to make more statements or suggestions like those, make them to Pine Valley directly. If you just continue to accuse me of looking at everything through rose colored glasses and if you continue to accuse nearly every club and membership of doing things wrong when you really have no idea what you're talking about I don't see any reason to continue discussing any of this.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 06:35:09 AM by TEPaul »

ChipOat

« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2005, 11:21:00 PM »
Tom MacWood and Pat Mucci:

Tom - there is, in fact, a 3 foot mound on the 5th green at Somerset Hills and - Pat - it is more towards the center of the green.

According to Frank Hannigan, I am (or at least used to be) the only person to have ever had a full shot from the fairway stop on the top of that mound.

That's no great distinction since 1) the ensuing putt is impossible and 2) you have to hit a poor shot on a rainy day in order to accomplish this unfortunate feat.

Now I must go read Tom's piece.  It's been about 3 pages on this thread since any of the posts actually mentioned it.

TEPaul

« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2005, 06:42:07 AM »
Chip:

Those contours on the back of #5 Somerset Hills really got my attention. They are on the back right of the greenspace and as severe as they are I don't think they would be quite three feet high. The thing that makes them so severe, in my opinion, is not exactly their height but their height to base ratio.

That green contour got my attention more than anything else I've seen in recent years---so much so I even spoke to the golf chairman about them simply because I wanted to know what kind of equipment they used to mow them. I figured if they could mow the tops on them without scalping them it's possible to mow contours that are more severe than I thought you could mow effectively.

ForkaB

« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2005, 07:16:37 AM »
Tom MacW

Great work.  Thanks for sharing it with us.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2005, 08:21:56 AM »
TEPaul,

When you reminded me of that feature a few months ago in the context of the possibility of a restoration of the 12th green at GCGC is was eye opening.

If Somerset Hills can maintain the features within the 5th green then certainly GCGC could maintain features similar to the old 12th despite what architects and others have said.

Rather then present obstacles, or excuses not to reconstruct the 12th green, those involved should look for examples of successful, extreme mound maintainance.

Thanks again for bringing that to everyone's attention.

We shouldn't accept, as a universal, any efforts to announce that bold architectural features can't be built because they can't be maintained.  Rather, we should ask how can they be built and adequately maintained ?  And, if it takes creativity, TLC, $ or a combination of them, so be it.

P.S.   What was the answer you recived regarding the maintainance practice that mowed the green to competitive heights without scalping those features. ?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 08:24:41 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2005, 09:04:54 AM »
I've only read the last page of this, but I'd like to take it to the Supreme Court and see what Justice Scalia has to say about "original intent."

Do you think Scalia would be in favor of pure restoration of golf courses?

P.S. to Pat:  Now that I am also consulting at Somerset Hills, I will have a chance to see exactly what they're able to do with that 5th green.  Maybe you should suggest that the committee at GCGC go down there for a look.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2005, 10:00:26 AM »
Tom Doak,

If you built a green with unusual or even unique features, wouldn't that have been your intent ?

Or, if the green came out with unusual or unique features are you saying that it had nothing to do with your intent, your creativity and skill, that it was just random luck ?

Our intent is usually manifested by our actions, isn't it ?

A committee trip to Somerset is a good idea, probably long overdue.  I'll mention that you suggested it.
And, since Dave Pughe is from Rockaway River he probably knows the superintendent well enough to discuss the maintainance of that green in depth.

If it can be built and maintained, all that's left is for you to provide a final rendering of the 12th green and surrounds for restoration purposes.

TEPaul

« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2005, 02:23:17 AM »
"TEPaul,
When you reminded me of that feature a few months ago in the context of the possibility of a restoration of the 12th green at GCGC it was eye opening."

Pat:

Either you don't exactly listen to the things I say or I should try to be a lot more clear when I talk to you. I most certainly never brought up the possibility of restoring GCGC's #12 green by comparing it to the possibility of restoring the "pimple" on PVGC's #18 because the thought of restoring the "pimple" on PVGC's #18 simply never crossed my mind. It's just not a possibility--nor should it be in the opinion of anyone I've ever spoken to who really knows much about it and its history. It may look neat and unique to you or Tom MacWood or me in some old photo but to actually consider restoring it there needs to be a lot more known about it than just that or the fact Crump put it in there (obviously you don't care to appreciate how he felt about it and the fact that he considered it temporary).

"If Somerset Hills can maintain the features within the 5th green then certainly GCGC could maintain features similar to the old 12th despite what architects and others have said."

That very well may be so. If GCGC ever considers restoring those enormous rolls in some way today in my opinion they should first consult with a club like Somerset Hills simply to look at the dimensions of those mounds on the 5th hole and how they mow them.

"Rather then present obstacles, or excuses not to reconstruct the 12th green, those involved should look for examples of successful, extreme mound maintainance."

I agree (as I just said above) that if GCGC really does seriously consider restoring the 12th green, before they actually build it they certainly should look for and consult clubs that successfully maintain extreme mounds on greens. However, I think there's definitely more to restoring a green like the 12th at GCGC than just figuring out how to maintain it properly. I think some very serious information should be sought to objectively understand as best the club can today why exactly that 12th green was changed in the first place.  I'm not at all talking about what's there now and whether or not it's worse than the original green---because that's not exactly the point of restoring the 12th green---although it may be a reason to change what's there now into something that works better than the green that's there now does!! What the club needs to know now if they want to seriously consider actually restoring the original 12th green is exactly why it was decided to change the 12th green before the present one was built. Were there problems with original #12, and if so, what were they all exactly? Most importantly was it just not working well in play? Can you truthfully say you know those answers---all of them? You need to be truthful about that instead of just conveniently sloughing off those important questions only because you think they're obstacles to your desire to see that green restored.

I know you don't like to hear these things because it presents some obstacle to your desire to see that green restored but to me to understand accurately why the club wanted to change it in the first place is only intelligent research that needs to be done before considering restoring it proceeds.

How many times did you play that original 12th green? Did you ever play it? Did you ever even see it in its original form? How many do you know who did? If you know any at all what do they ALL say about restoring it the way it was? If you never played it and you don't know much if anything about the opinions of those who did how do you really know why the club changed it in the first place? If there was something wrong with the playability of that old green don't you think that's at least something worthwhile knowing before the club considers restoring it?

With the "pimple" on PVGC's #18, to some, such as perhaps yourself, when you see a photo of it today perhaps you think it's a unique looking feature and should be restored just for that reason but you most certainly never played that hole with that mound on it and you probably have never done any research into those who did and what they felt about it in play.

But maybe you don't really care about how something works in play--maybe all you care about is how it used to look!  ;)

I care about both, particularly if there's to be some consideration towards restoration of some kind.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2005, 08:14:54 AM »
Tom Doak - I think the Scalia analogy is an excellent one (there was a long and excellent article on him in the New Yorker about 3 weeks ago which you should read if you have not).

Alas, no mention of golf in his life, but I think you can confidently assume he would be an aggressive restorationist -at least by temperament.  ;)

To him the meddling green committee would be just like the activist judges making laws, as opposed to interpreting them.

In general, it is probably taking things a bit far to assert that the will of the original architect needs to be honoured in the same way as the intent of the Founding Fathers. But in the case of Crump and Pine Valley, I reckon Scalia would definitely be in his corner. ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2005, 09:30:04 AM »
"But in the case of Crump and Pine Valley, I reckon Scalia would definitely be in his corner. "

Phillip:

What exactly is that supposed to mean? What does 'being in Crump's corner mean'?

Philip Gawith

« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2005, 11:25:06 AM »
Tom Paul

I am using the boxing analogy to mean that Scalia would have been supportive of Crump.

From what I know of Scalia, he is very wedded to establishing the original intent of legislators, and then ensuring that that intention is honoured in the way laws are implemented.

So in the case of Pine Valley, which is so clearly identified with the will and vision of one man, I think Scalia would, in the event of it being the matter of dispute, instinctively and temperamentally want to ensure that the golf course was true to the vision of Crump. That idea would appeal to him.

In general, whether at Pine Valley or anywhere else, he would dislike the idea that other individuals/committees could subsequently turn up, and tamper with that vision, no matter what their reason.

My original comment, I should stress, did not attempt to venture an opinion on whether, or to what extent, that had happened at Pine Valley. I leave those deep and treacherous waters to the grown-ups round here! ;)

I was just indulging the legal angle Tom Doak introduced to this thread, and Pine Valley seems a very apposite case, given the particular circumstances of the creation of the course.

TEPaul

« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2005, 12:33:21 PM »
Philip Gawith:

Thank you for that answer---it's honest.

I believe, in the case of Pine Valley, it would be very hard to find a golf club anywhere who has been and is as respectful of their architect and creator, in this case George Crump and his original design intent as well as his ideas.

It's interesting how that evolved particularly since he died without actually finishing the course. If one could read PVGC's early record, particularly the work of the so-called 1921 Advisory Committee, who took it upon themselves to finish off the course after his sudden death, one can see just how remarkable that respect was for him and the things he intended to do. The lengths they went to in determining what he wanted to do were pretty remarkable too.

That's what makes it so ironic and frankly comical that some on here are today criticizing the club for not respecting Crump and his ideas and his design intent. It just may be that no course has been as preserved as PVGC in what they understood to be the things that an original architect wanted to do---things that are preserved in their archives and records.

Those that say otherwise on here just don't know PVGC's record and what's in their archives. They seem to think that if the club just put everything back to the way it was the day he died that may be good enough. But they just don't understand Crump, his intentions or what's in the club's record still today in that light. And they surely don't understand the work or the motivation of the 1921 Advisory Committee and what they tried do in respecting Crump and what he wanted to do on that course had he lived.

When a guy like Pat Mucci says on here that he's more in tune with Crump than PVGC is or ever has been, frankly, that's just laughable. For him to be in tune with Crump and the course he'd first have to be a whole lot more familiar with the club's record in that regard, but apparently he doesn't care about something like that. And when it's pointed out to him he even questions the validity of it. Why does he do that? Probably because he feels his own ideas should prevail despite what Crump felt about the things he'd already built but intended to change for the better.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2005, 01:08:48 PM »

I believe, in the case of Pine Valley, it would be very hard to find a golf club anywhere who has been and is as respectful of their architect and creator, in this case George Crump and his original design intent as well as his ideas.
But, the fact is they removed his hump in the 18th green and never inserted the roll he intended.  How is that respectful of his original design or his alleged intent ?  Just stick to that one question.
[/color]

It's interesting how that evolved particularly since he died without actually finishing the course. If one could read PVGC's early record, particularly the work of the so-called 1921 Advisory Committee, who took it upon themselves to finish off the course after his sudden death, one can see just how remarkable that respect was for him and the things he intended to do. The lengths they went to in determining what he wanted to do were pretty remarkable too.

Then why didn't they install the roll he allegedly wanted when they destroyed the hump he originally built in the 19th green.
A green that I believe was completed prior to his death.
[/color]

That's what makes it so ironic and frankly comical that some on here are today criticizing the club for not respecting Crump and his ideas and his design intent. It just may be that no course has been as preserved as PVGC in what they understood to be the things that an original architect wanted to do---things that are preserved in their archives and records.

How do you reconcile the above statement in light of Maxwell and Fazio's involvement ?  And, how do you reconcile the above statement in light of the destruction of the hump in the
18th green, and the failure to replace it with the roll that Crump allegedly intended ?
[/color]

Those that say otherwise on here just don't know PVGC's record and what's in their archives. They seem to think that if the club just put everything back to the way it was the day he died that may be good enough. But they just don't understand Crump, his intentions or what's in the club's record still today in that light. And they surely don't understand the work or the motivation of the 1921 Advisory Committee and what they tried do in respecting Crump and what he wanted to do on that course had he lived.
Then why wasn't that roll installed in the 18th green ?
[/color]

When a guy like Pat Mucci says on here that he's more in tune with Crump than PVGC is or ever has been, frankly, that's just laughable.

No it's not.
You're just trying to divert focus from the issue.

I'll repeat what I said:
On the 18th green I'm in perfect harmony with Crump, either through leaving the original hump feature which he conceived, designed and built, OR installing a roll through the green as he allegedly intended.
[/color]

For him to be in tune with Crump and the course he'd first have to be a whole lot more familiar with the club's record in that regard, but apparently he doesn't care about something like that.

I only have to be in tune with the issue at hand, the 18th green, which I am.

You continue to deny, except for one sentence in another post, that the club destroyed what Crump conceived, designed and built in the 18th green, and failed to honor his alleged intentions by failing to install the roll through the green.

Why can't you come to grips with that shortcoming ?
[/color]

And when it's pointed out to him he even questions the validity of it. Why does he do that? Probably because he feels his own ideas should prevail despite what Crump felt about the things he'd already built but intended to change for the better.

Again, you don't get it.
I"m in PERFECT HARMONY with Crump on # 18 green.
Ether the hump he conceived, designed and built should have remained, or the roll he allegedly intended should have been installed.

How can you continue, time after time, to blindly defend their actions and say that I'm in disagreement with Crump's actual results or intent when it comes to the 18th green ?

You can emplore the DENY, DENY, DENY defense as much as you want, the facts, and your own statements are the foundation for my argument.

Let me repeat it for you.

Crump conceived, designed and built the 18th green with a hump in it.

It's alleged that he wanted to remove the hump and create a contoured roll.

JAB and the club ignored both of those concepts, destroying the hump and failing to install the roll Crump allegedly intended, leaving the green without Crump's intended design.

It is nice to know that you'll defend any club that you have friends at, that's admirable, but, sometimes misquided.
[/color]

TEPaul

« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2005, 01:21:09 PM »
"But, the fact is they removed his hump in the 18th green and never inserted the roll he intended.  How is that respectful of his original design or his alleged intent ?  Just stick to that one question."

Pat:

OK, I surely will do that. The fact is the evidence and documentation is there that Crump had every intention of removing that radical hump and eventually that was done. That is certainly not disrespectful of Crump, in my opinion, as you've been implyng. Should they have inserted that roll that he apparently envisioned in it's place? I certainly think so, and in these things I think it's never too late. Personally, I think there are a few things that are well explained in those "remembrances" of what Crump intended to do that the club should still consider and do. And a few of them are far more significanct than that situation on the 18th green would be.

But the real point here is there is no good reason to actually RESTORE that radical hump back onto #18 green as you seem to continue to suggest. How Crump felt about it is clear enough for that to never be a consideration and that one thing you should admit here and now if you have any respect for Crump and what he wanted to do. So why don't you just stick to that one question ;)  ---eg your suggestion that that hump should be restored!  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back