News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: King's Putter History
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2018, 12:25:17 PM »
Jeff,

You really hit the nail on the head with that last post.  My first KP was Monterey in 2008.  Such an epic event with meeting so many new instant friends including Mr. Huntly and Bill.  The fun factor was off the charts right from day one...  even if I got the Sandman moniker for my bunker troubles at Pajaro and Pasa 18  ;D

Doug Wright

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2018, 01:51:59 PM »
Dan,

There lies the problem! 6 World Class golf courses, unlimited food and drink for $150 and we can only get 16 to commit; the one no show left us at 15. You'll never get a better deal at Bandon than that. Gray sure knows how to host a fantastic event!

thank you Pete with the addition of ECC to the 5 Bandon courses we played

Bill McBride (RIP) inspired me to help host the KP, he was a gamer

Bandon could be a permanent location for any event every year, it's so great

always happy to host

Last year's KP (my first) was great. Gray if you do another I am IN!
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Dan Gallaway

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2018, 02:20:50 PM »

sorry about that Dan

it's always bad when someone no shows without notice at the last second

what a FUBAR

we can reproduce that weekend anytime you want  :)

always happy to host

No apologies needed.  What a great event and destination. 

Mike Benham

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2018, 09:12:38 PM »
Great times are had at a King's Putter event.  Thanks for starting this thread to the OP. It has reminded me of how fun they were.

My favorite photo of the Fortsonator, his smirk smile sums up his thoughts nicely:

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2018, 11:21:40 PM »
Love the quad-pleated trousers!
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2018, 11:29:55 PM »
Guilty. 100% terrible pants.  All club pros back then wore pleated trousers.
#nowhitebelt

Jeff Schley

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2018, 12:54:43 AM »
Guys

I still need organizers for :

2005 KP IV - Stevinson, CA.: Stevinson Ranch- organizer?
2004 KP III - Moorpark, CA.: Rustic Canyon- organizer?
2003 KP II - Santa Cruz, CA.: Pasatiempo, Pajaro Dunes- organizer?

It seems to me Tom Huckaby was the 2005 organizer at Stevinson Ranch from what I can find as Ed Getka thanks Tom in post  #22 in this thread, which btw captures this event very well: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,17632.0.html

It also appears that David Moriarty organized the 2004 event at Rustic Canyon based on this thread: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,7774.0.html

It also appears that Tom Huckaby organized the 2003 event at Pasa..... from a couple mentions in other threads.?

I'm going to put down these guys for now as no one else has commented and my research gives me enough evidence to do so.  If incorrect please advise.  Thanks.

"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

William_G

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2018, 10:26:56 AM »
Dan,

There lies the problem! 6 World Class golf courses, unlimited food and drink for $150 and we can only get 16 to commit; the one no show left us at 15. You'll never get a better deal at Bandon than that. Gray sure knows how to host a fantastic event!

thank you Pete with the addition of ECC to the 5 Bandon courses we played

Bill McBride (RIP) inspired me to help host the KP, he was a gamer

Bandon could be a permanent location for any event every year, it's so great

always happy to host

Last year's KP (my first) was great. Gray if you do another I am IN!

Thank you Doug, you and your friend were great participants.

Bandon really is fantastic for events like this whether you've been there  before or not.   8)
It's all about the golf!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2018, 12:10:12 PM »
Jeff

My recollection re: KP#1 was that Ed Getka stepped in to organise this, with some assistance from Huck.  I was involved in using 19th Century UK match play rules which counted holes won with both players playing the entire 18.  Most of the players didn't understand and hated it!  I lost my singles match on the 16th (3/2) to a really good stick who forgot about the format and ended up 1 down after I dug in and took 17 and 18.

If and when you publish a tome/article on the KP. do not leave out the fact of the Grant Hotel in San Diego running out of hot water and Sir Bob Huntley demanding (and getting) a significant discount from the management for all of us!

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2018, 12:18:29 PM »
Guys

I still need organizers for :

2005 KP IV - Stevinson, CA.: Stevinson Ranch- organizer?
2004 KP III - Moorpark, CA.: Rustic Canyon- organizer?
2003 KP II - Santa Cruz, CA.: Pasatiempo, Pajaro Dunes- organizer?

It seems to me Tom Huckaby was the 2005 organizer at Stevinson Ranch from what I can find as Ed Getka thanks Tom in post  #22 in this thread, which btw captures this event very well: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,17632.0.html

It also appears that David Moriarty organized the 2004 event at Rustic Canyon based on this thread: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,7774.0.html

It also appears that Tom Huckaby organized the 2003 event at Pasa..... from a couple mentions in other threads.?

I'm going to put down these guys for now as no one else has commented and my research gives me enough evidence to do so.  If incorrect please advise.  Thanks.

I believe it was Huckaby at Stevenson in '05.

I believe it was either David Moriarty or Tommy Naccarato (or both combined) for '04 Rustic.
#nowhitebelt

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2018, 12:32:56 PM »
2004 KPIII

Tommy was the concept guy, I'm pretty sure Moriarty handled the details with a possible assist from David Kelly. The party was hosted by Lynn Shackelford at his Par 3 course Sinaloa's clubhouse.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2018, 02:33:21 PM »
Great times are had at a King's Putter event.  Thanks for starting this thread to the OP. It has reminded me of how fun they were.

My favorite photo of the Fortsonator, his smirk smile sums up his thoughts nicely:

So glad to have been a major contributor to that big ol' smirk on Fortson's face that day...and part of one of the greatest moments in KP history (involving Mr. Huntley as a main witness)!!!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back