News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Evan_Green

Moanalua Golf Club
« on: March 13, 2005, 07:17:13 PM »
Does anyone know anything about this 9 hole course near the Honolulu Airport. Golfcourse.com says its the Oldest course in HI.

In any case I have a couple of hours to kill in the Honolulu Airport area and was wondering if this course was worth playing, or am I better off sightseeing?

Russell Lo

Re:Moanalua Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 07:40:34 PM »
The course claims to be the oldest west of the Mississippi and was built around 1903 as a 9 hole course for the Sugar Plantation owners and foremen. It's a classic old course with all of the greens raised to promote drainage and no bunkers on the course.

It's very accessible from the airport (less than 5 miles) and should take you around 1:30-2 hours walking. Carts are allowed if you have a cart bag. 3 blind holes (#2 uphill 165 yd par 3, don't forget to ring the bell); #5 an uphill 420(?) yd par 4 and #8 a 165 yd downhill par 3. All in all a fun course that won't make you go wow but will really emphasize classic Hawaii plantation golf courses.

Aloha

Evan_Green

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 08:08:12 PM »
Thanks for the information Russell and welcome to GCA!

One more question for you... is the course generally pretty crowded- or is it pretty easy to get out?

Mahalo

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 08:44:19 PM »
I remember Moanalua as simple basic golf and quite poorly conditioned.  It was a nine-hole version of Ala Wai - the most played golf course in the universe.

JC

Russell Lo

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 03:06:59 PM »
Evan, the course is usually uncrowded, maybe some member play in the morining, otherwise it's pretty empty. I haven't played there in 6 years so couldn't comment on the conditioning.

Thanks for the welcome even though I've been reading the boards since 2000.Big time lurker.

Russell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back