News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Steve Lang

Golf Blogs.. Who needs them?
« on: March 08, 2005, 08:30:56 PM »
 8)

After looking at JakaB's and Tuco's golf blogs (amongst others) I have to question who needs them?  The writer or the internet world thirsting for originality in a world of attention deficit?

While I'm partial to reading Tuco's chops the best.. isn't there a limit to it all, the approach is better than the view once you're there? And why would someone need advertising for a blog if it was personal therapy??  What's the purpose, the objective, the reason?

Regards,
Little Grasshopper

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Kyle Harris

Re:Golf Blogs.. Who needs them?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 08:33:14 PM »
Steve,

I agree that blogs need to be personal and I don't understand the need for advertising.

I have occassional gofl thoughts in my blog, but that is most certainly not its only purpose.

Steve Lang

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 08:45:28 PM »
 8)

Do you seek to become a respected critic or writer of hard copy vs digital content, lost when the lights go out?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 08:49:03 PM »
I back it up with hardcopy, print it out periodically.

I appreciate comments on my golf musing, but don't live around them.

NAF

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 10:54:01 AM »
Steve-

You bring up a very good point.  Is the blog personal therapy for me?  It certainly is an outlet for one man's view.  My hope in doing it was to find some sort of connection with others and a shared view or a new way to look at things--and be funny too.  I can't exactly do that on GCA and take up Ran's space.  I think we can benefit from others observations etc.  It just takes one iota to inspire someone into some meaningful.  Or someone could think it hopeless drivel.

I've always wanted to be a writer and I never did anything about it.  It isnt easy to get published in the golf world and people can edit a ton.  I hope my blog will have more on my observations/likes/dislikes on Architecture, some poetry-- I put a little ditty up by Ogden Nash ( a true master many do not know about who was hilarious) and some other assorted stuff.  

By the way, why Tuco?  I love Clint Eastwood and I love Eli Wallach's portrayal.  Tuco is at times a killer, a buffon, a con man, and capable of love (see the scene in the GB&U with his monk brother).  He is the center of the movie and gives it its soul and comic relief.  I love his flamboyance and devil may care attitude. If you met, me you would never take me for that.. In fact my wife would be shocked that a part of Tuco exists inside of me..
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 11:02:35 AM by NAF »

JakaB

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 10:56:47 AM »
Has anybody else seen the blog of Kyle Harris...he is a cutie pie..

NAF

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 11:19:56 AM »

« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 11:28:49 AM by NAF »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 03:46:47 PM »
Jakab,

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm

Thanks?

George Pazin

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 05:22:25 PM »
Just looked in on all three and I was actually impressed. Nothing wrong with someone finding his voice. In many ways, I think we'd all be better off if more did so.

I can definitely relate to Noel's comments about the difference between his blog ramblings and his in person image. I know I'm a lot more argumentative and aggressive on here than in person.

At least, I hope so. :)

Keep on writing, fellas.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Dan Kelly

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 05:43:49 PM »
I was just looking in on Mr. Goodale's blog ("Rich Musings," at http://richmusings.blogspot.com/), to see if there was anything new (alas, no; is nothing new these days?) -- and while I was there, I thought I'd hit the "next blog" button.

Came to http://metabullican.blogspot.com/.

You might enjoy it. Alister Mackenzie might have found something about golf there -- but I didn't.

P.S. (seem to be full of them today): What a world. Ain't it great?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 05:45:24 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Kyle Harris

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 05:46:07 PM »
I should be focusing more on golf again as the season starts up, so any of you should feel free to leave comments on mine...

Just sign them please is all I ask.  :)

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2005, 06:26:05 PM »
Actually George I kinda thought you were pretty laid back on here after meeting you in person.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 06:26:35 PM by Craig Edgmand »

Robert Thompson

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2005, 08:03:58 PM »
Gents: There are many good golf blogs out there -- many of which deal with more than just one's personal thoughts on a subject and which have found a relatively wide audience.
The interesting ones these days include Golfer's Muse, which appears to be the work of a tour pros wife (she's unnamed) and Carlsbad Confidential, which gives an insider's take on the equipment business.

Of course there's also something called Going for the Green. :P
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Steve Lang

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2005, 09:57:52 PM »
 8)

Robert, I have no doubts there's intersting stuff out there.. with apparently the blogsites being easier for one to maintain content on than a personal website??..  

Why do bloggers need links to other blogs?

I just don't see the "critical mass" in blogs developing into a real resource like GCA.COM, wherein the discussion group is just one part of a greater whole concept.  

In the end, its all just a bit much to see the outward benefit of the diffuse blog phenomena.  Sorry, Where's the beef?

« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 09:59:35 PM by Steve Lang »
The voice of Inverness"

Robert Thompson

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2005, 10:58:52 PM »
Steve: I actually think, in some cases, the blogging process works like GCA. Blogs are easy to add content to and allow for an open discussion with readers.
That said, I think there are a handful of golf blogs worth reading -- not many to date -- and few that reach a large group of readers. I get about 100 readers a day at mine, and its building. However, I'm a golf writer and use the outlet to point people to areas and stories I think they may be interested in. Occasionally I add my opinion. Sometimes I add photos of the more interesting courses I've played.
Why do bloggers link to other blogs? The simple answer is to provide readers with information. It really isn't any different from a contributor on this site pointing to something they read on the web and feel others will enjoy.
It also become reference network -- a good blog typically points to other good blogs. Or at least that seems to be how it works -- this is developing as we speak.
Of course this could all end up as a fad -- but it could also be the democratization of the media so many have spoken about in the past.
And why shouldn't blogs eclipse something like GCA? After all, this is a narrowly focused site with a group of people who are often narrowly focused. It is also dominated by a handful of regular posters, whereas blogs are open to anyone with an Internet connection.
By the way, I hated the concept of blogs and blogging when the concept emerged. Now I'm a regular. And even though I have a couple of hundred thousand readers who look at my stories in the paper each day, I find I have far more interaction with my blog readers, though they number in the hundreds.

Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Kyle Harris

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2005, 11:18:12 PM »
Alex, et al.

My blog URL is in my profile here on GCA...

Bill Gayne

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2005, 08:53:02 PM »
Do any of the bloggers have experience with wikis? It sound like it could be fun.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A25305-2005Mar10.html

An interesting article in todays Washington Post regarding blogs and government regulation. Should bloggers have the same freedom of the press protections as other journalist? Where is the line drawn?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A26489-2005Mar11.html

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back