News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

THuckaby2

Re:Your Heart is Beating Fast...
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2005, 02:04:50 PM »
DC - great story... I am laughing with you and for you.

So... how were the Japanese lessons?  Come on, you HAD to want to know what he said.

;) ;)

JESII

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2005, 02:07:16 PM »
Are you kidding me? Three pages and no mention of Merion's 1st during the lunch hour?

Mike Benham

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2005, 02:48:06 PM »
I'm surprised no has mentioned the 1st hole at Rustic or Cuscowilla during an "unofficial GCA" gathering ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

THuckaby2

« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2005, 02:53:15 PM »
DC:

Understood completely.  You are a very wise man, as is your Father.

The whole thing just cracked me up, because it reminded me of a golf happening for me... one round paired with two Japanese fellows, they used the exclamation which I shall phonetically type here as "WO TAH" many times during the round.  It never had an identical context though, so we never could figure out what it meant.  For years thereafter, we'd have great fun trying to use that in the oddest situations possible... ie make an eagle, let out a loud WOA TAH!!!  Hit one in the water, wail a mournrful "woa tah..."  Not hear a comment correctly, ask back a questioning "woa tah?"... you get the picture.

Then one day one of the guys was watching TORA TORA TORA... lots of Japanese language, all subtitled... this Wo Tah (I am likely spelling it wrong, don't remember) came out as:

STEADY.

That as, the whole time it was these guys talking to their golf ball, pleading for it to do what they wanted.....

So of course you know the result.

The most common word spoken in any round with these buds is now:

STEADY!!!!!

TH

THuckaby2

« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2005, 02:54:11 PM »
I'm surprised no has mentioned the 1st hole at Rustic or Cuscowilla during an "unofficial GCA" gathering ...

GREAT call.  More discerning eyes do not exist, but more importantly, nowhere will one's foibles be greater remembered.. and broadcast...

;D ;D

Brad Swanson

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2005, 03:05:50 PM »

I can vouch for this, after pulling my 2 iron :-[ into the scrub off the first tee at the "official" GCA outing at Black Mesa (my least favorite shot on that course BTW).  The group at large got to see that for my inaugural shot at my first big GCA outing (unfortunately only those in my group got to see me right the ship and birdie 3 out of the next 6, but I digress ;))

Cheers,
Brad Swanson

THuckaby2

« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2005, 03:09:10 PM »
Brad:

Your partner rather liked your play that day as well.  Just goes to show one doesn't judge a book by its cover, or a golfer by any one shot.  

Just noticed the tag line.. I am blushing...

:-[

THuckaby2

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2005, 03:17:01 PM »
DC:

Sounds like we have very similar friends.

MONKEY!!!!

WO TAH!!!!!

;D ;D ;D

TH

ps - just noticed your tag line also.  Oh hell man, now I am gonna be repeating that all day and night.  MORE COWBELL!!!!

Brad Swanson

« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2005, 03:24:11 PM »
Tom,
   I received the "Christopher Walken:Best of SNL" on DVD for Christmas from my wife and I have yet to watch it.  I'll have to see if that skit is on there.  Quite funny.

Cheers,
Brad

Andy Acker

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2005, 03:29:21 PM »
its hilarious.

Number 6 at Bellerive CC in Saint Louis

THuckaby2

« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2005, 03:30:16 PM »
Brad - it is most definitely on the Will Ferrell volume of those Best of SNL DVD's.  That's what you meant I bet anyway.  Watch it.  Keep kleenex nearby... it is diffiult to watch WITHOUT tears of laughter.

I just found it doing a google search, for those interested... Go to this page, first entry in the blog, click and download.

I am still dying.. can barely type...

MORE COWBELL!!!

http://www.ineedmorecowbell.com/blog/000104.html

th
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 03:31:00 PM by Tom Huckaby »

frank_D

« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2005, 03:31:00 PM »
…Where are you?.... just include those tee shots that you have personally experienced …

brother Chris Pike

any tee where i've just put a BRAND NEW BALL on the peg

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2005, 03:31:22 PM »
When I played Pine Valley we stayed over the night before so my host was nice enough to walk with me over to #5 the evening before.  I spent the whole night wondering what the heck I was going to do when I came to #5.  This was probably 15 years ago so there were no Prov V1s and when I walked away with a bogey I felt extremely proud.  Unfortunately I then underclubbed myself on #10 and made a 7.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2005, 03:44:05 PM »
The tee shot on #18 at Pebble Beach did a number on me both times I played it.

Don't go left.

Oh, and there's OB right...
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

JNC Lyon

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2005, 04:05:04 PM »
Number 9 at Durand Eastman in Rochester, NY.

It is one of the only original holes on the vintage RTJ course (1934). It is a 435 yard par 5, but it essentially plays up through a heavily-treed ravine. The tee is about 100 yards from Lake Ontario. Ron Whitten described it as "a luge run to an apostrophe of a green."
The green is only 13 paces deep, and it sits more than 30 feet above the golfer. Here is the picture from the Whitten article, with the tee to the right of the treeline:

« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 04:24:26 PM by JNC_Lyon »
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

peter_p

« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2005, 04:47:41 PM »
#5 and #6 at Crosswater with a west wind, playing too far back because you were outvoted by three others who can blow it by you fifty yards.

#17 at Carnoustie

Sean_A

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2005, 05:43:42 PM »
I think I am with Mr. Dunne.  His Island shot tells the story.  It is the narrowest tee shot I have faced for a par 4 or 5.  However, the hole is quite short and easily driveable, but get it wrong and you are over the hazard stake.  The fairway canters toward the hazard as well.  Fantastic risk/reward hole!  The Island is truly a great course.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Doug Wright

« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2005, 06:35:43 PM »

Mike--Yeah no kidding, especially when you're just out of the car after driving from Atlanta, in sneakers with a hickory club in your hand... :o ::) :P   ???

...striped it anyway.. ;D ;D

Many good calls above on this thread.

The first at Cherry Hills (it's blasphemy for someone not to mention Arnie '60 before teeing off there).

Mid Ocean #5

TPC/PGA West #18

My heart wasn't beating fast on The Island #14--I was laughing too hard!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 06:36:47 PM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

james soper

« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2005, 07:12:54 PM »
#1- secession
#15-seminole
#16-black diamond
#18-doral

Andy Doyle

« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2005, 10:56:32 PM »
Lahinch #5 Klondyke

Waterville #18 - ~35 mph wind left to right, first 2 tee shots went sailing over the shrubbery and beach, somewhere out into the water.

AD
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 10:59:19 PM by Andy Doyle »

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2005, 11:27:44 AM »
Tee shot on #17 TOC.  I spend 16 holes with it lingering in my head.  I have only hit one good tee shot there in six tries.  That shot wakes me up at night 6 thousand miles away.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Bob Longmire

« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2005, 12:45:57 PM »
#17 - CD

Doug Siebert

« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2005, 05:21:11 PM »
Wow, can't believe no one has tapped Old Head's 12th.  That's the most intimidating tee shot I've ever seen.  It has the "carry over the ocean" angle like Turnberry's 9th, Pebble's 18th, etc. except the cliff is a 250 ft drop, not some puny 10-40 ft.  The fairway lies above the tee box, so the landing area, in addition to be angled, is totally blind as well!  Basically you stand on the tee and aim at a cliffside, and hope you don't hook it or catch it thin.  For added fun, the prevailing wind blows from left to right, so you have to aim even further out over disaster to put it where it needs to be.  I have a couple pictures I took, but they don't do it justice because I'm a terrible photographer (plus they are 5 megapixel so the dialin people would probably lynch me!)

Andy Doyle,

I've played Waterville twice, and the first time I hit what started out as a pretty good drive but just faded it out onto the beach.  When I returned last summer I hit two monster drives that were perfect, except for a very slight push that started out down the fenceline, and I looked around hoping one of them would have taken a favorable bounce but found neither.  There's an awful lot of room left of that fenceline but it seems to have a magnetic attraction for some reason, doesn't it?
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Andy Doyle

« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2005, 07:42:05 PM »
Doug:

This is how hard the wind was blowing the day I played there (November 2004), and it was blowing perpendicularly to the fairway, directly out towards the ocean.  I stood on that tee just knowing this was going to be an almost impossible drive.

I was aiming at the flagpole just to the right of the clubhouse, but on the first 2 got just a little bit my normal fade on the ball.  The wind just took over and those balls were gone - no need to even look.  I finally heeled a low line drive right at the bunker on the left that still wound up way over on the right side of the fairway.

I had a great day there - it had been raining that morning, but stopped just before getting there.  This was November, so I wasn't sure they were open - they were, and I had the entire course to myself.

Andy

John Kirk

« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2005, 08:14:12 PM »
#1 at Pacific Dunes, back tees, on a summer afternoon.  Toughest tee shot on the course.  Wind into face.  Have to hit driver; otherwise second shot will be too long.  Lose it right and it falls down into a large sandy dune 20-60 feet below the fairway.

Last summer I missed the fairway there by a couple yards and made 10.  I just kept splashing the ball out of little depressions in the sand up the hill until I reached the top.  Took a while.  I'm sure the marshals were thrilled.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back